What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Deck Support  (Read 5254 times)

Spiderman

Deck Support
« on: July 10, 2006, 09:12:00 pm »
I'm sure I'll be Ok with my deck and the hot tub and all, but.......I figured I'd ask anyways.   The Jetsetter is coming on Friday 07-14-06 and it's going on the deck.  When I built my deck, I knew I would one day get a hot tub so I beefed it up.  I've got doubled 2X8's X 14, 16" O.C. with joist hangers.  Underneath the 2x8's I have two 2X10's attached to 4X4 posts with 2 carraige bolts holding the 2X10's to the 4X4's.  This is a floating deck and it sits on some concrete pads which I think are 8X12X4.  On the the side that the tub will sit on, I ran a 2X8 at the end underneath the doubled 2X8's that connect to the rim/end joist, if that makes sense.   So, if you've followed me this far, you should be able to agree that I'm good to go.    I'm just wondering if 2 carriage bolts are enough at each 4X4?  

I think the jetsetter weighs around 2800 lbs filled and occupied.
People suffer one of two pains in life:  the pain of discipline, or the pain of regret

Hot Tub Forum

Deck Support
« on: July 10, 2006, 09:12:00 pm »

PotomacG

• What's so funny 'bout peace, love & understanding?
Re: Deck Support
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2006, 08:56:59 am »
Spiderman....are you the friendly neighborhood variety  ;D

Your carriage bolts are not holding the weight of the tub.  They are only keeping your headers attached to your posts.  Important job, yes, but if you have 2 bolts per post, it sounds like you have that covered.  

What you didn't mention is, how many 4x4 posts, how far apart and for how much decking?

I would also be concerned with the concrete pads your posts are sitting on.  Where I live, in the mid-atlantic, you would have to dig and pour concrete footers.  I believe the holes for my footers are at least 4 feet deep.  

Do you live in a place where digging and pouring concrete is not possible?
« Last Edit: July 11, 2006, 09:01:47 am by PotomacG »

Spiderman

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2006, 09:06:31 am »
I can dig and pour, but both of my decks are "floating" decks.  My dad built his in 1990, also a floating deck and it hasn't moved in 16 years (at least that we can tell), so I built mine the same.  My first deck is 4 years old and the one that the tub is going on is 3 years old and both haven't moved that I can tell.

I also spoke with the building inspector and he didn't express any concerns about the concrete pads.  I'll have to check with Menards and see if they can give me a rating for the pads.  Since there are 4 pads, each one will have to account for 700 lbs, which doesn't seem like a lot to me.

BTW, yes I AM the friendly neighborhood type!!  ;)
« Last Edit: July 11, 2006, 09:08:49 am by Spiderman »
People suffer one of two pains in life:  the pain of discipline, or the pain of regret

PotomacG

• What's so funny 'bout peace, love & understanding?
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2006, 12:12:53 pm »
Sounds to me like you're good-to-go.   If you have any lingering doubts, you could always consult a structural engineer.

By the way, my hot tub is on my 2nd-story deck and I love the convenience.

Enjoy your new spa.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2006, 12:12:53 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42