What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Vanguard- Why no Tri X Filters?  (Read 8850 times)

cburk0677

Vanguard- Why no Tri X Filters?
« on: July 10, 2006, 11:15:20 am »
I stopped by the local Hotsprings dealer yesterday for the first time just to get an idea of what the tubs looked like in person. Before seeing them in person I thought maybe the Grandee would be the way to go but dang that thing is HUGE!!

My wife and I really liked the Vanguard. Still a big tub but won't take up my entire backyard lol. So why does the Vanguard not come with the Tri X filters? Is this something to be concerned about?  The other top tubs such as Grandee, Vista, and Envoy use the Tri X filters. The Vanguard is 400 gallons and the Envoy is 450 gallons.  

I just want to make sure that I'm not missing out on anything by looking into the Vanguard.

Thanks,
 Cburk
Enjoying SpaTopia in my 2006 Hotspring Vanguard

Hot Tub Forum

Vanguard- Why no Tri X Filters?
« on: July 10, 2006, 11:15:20 am »

cburk0677

Re: Vanguard- Why no Tri X Filters?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2006, 01:55:29 pm »
wow no replies. Either I asked the dumbest question ever or nobody has a good answer? ::)

shabba34

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2006, 01:59:54 pm »
The Vanguard has smaller pumps then the other HS models mentioned, hence no need for the added sq footage that the Tri-X filters provide for the HP models.  You can use that as a negotiating tool if you feel it necessary, but the Vanguard functions perfectly with the standard filters installed. ;)

cburk0677

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2006, 02:24:32 pm »
Thanks for the reply.

A couple other questions since you mentioned the smaller pumps on the vanguard. The envoy is only 50 gallons bigger but has the HP pumps and TriX filters. WHY?? Do 50 gallons of water make that much difference in needing better water filtering?

Since the vanguard doesn't use the Tri X would I have to clean the filters more often? Do they wear out quicker? Any other things to consider? I just want to make sure I wouldn't be making a mistake with the vanguard. The Grandee just looks too large for normal use and I really don't want a lounger so the envoy is out. Why doesn't hotspring make the vanguard the same as the envoy except leave out the lounger?

Are the pumps on the vanguard adequate or do you feel that they would be better with a HP pump?

One other thing. My local dealer listed the vanguard with steps, cover, coverlifter for $8200.00  Is this a good deal?

Thanks
« Last Edit: July 11, 2006, 09:36:02 am by cburk0677 »

shabba34

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2006, 02:45:17 pm »
Thanks for the reply.

A couple other questions since you mentioned the smaller pumps on the vanguard. The envoy is only 50 gallons bigger but has the HP pumps and TriX filters. WHY?? Do 50 gallons of water make that much difference in needing better water filtering?

Since the vanguard doesn't use the Tri X would I have to clean the filters more often? Do they wear out quicker? Any other things to consider? I just want to make sure I wouldn't be making a mistake with the vanguard. The Grandee just looks too large for normal use and I really don't want a lounger so the envoy is out. Why doesn't hotspring make the vanguard the same as the enjoy except leave out the lounger?

Are the pumps on the vanguard adequate or do you feel that they would be better with a HP pump?

One other thing. My local dealer listed the vanguard with steps, cover, coverlifter for $8200.00  Is this a good deal?

Thanks
The Grandee, Vista, and Envoy require larger pumps due to a higher jet count.  Gal capacity of the spa has no bearing on pump size.  When adding larger pumps, you have to increase sq footage of filtration in order to maintain a no by-pass system.

It's not that you will have to clean your filters more often, but rather use a little more elbow grease to clean them.  Tri-x can be tossed in the dishwasher.  Some owners of tri-x filters on this board clean their tri-x just like they would a regular cartridge (Filter cleaning solution and a stiff hose.  Garden hose that is!)  You can add the tri-x filters to the Vanguard later down the road if you want.  They are claiming to last 2x as long as the syn paper cart.  I can't attest to that due to them only being available for the past 3 years or so.

Price that you are quoted is good.  It's probably on the lower side compared to many other dealers around the country.  As far as the therapy provided, the Vanguard even though being considered an EE model vs. an HP model performs as well as the other 3 units mentioned IMHO.

cburk0677

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2006, 02:47:49 pm »
Thanks I appreciate it!

kervis

• runnergirl
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2006, 03:02:18 pm »
I just bought a 2005 Vanguard a month ago and we've been using it almost daily for the 2 weeks we've had it.  I'm in the Twin Cities area--paid $8800 ($9372 with tax) for the heavy wooden steps, cover, lifter of my choice, delivery, start-up chems.  My dealer swapped out the regular filters for floor-model Tri-Ex filters.  Some of them look tea-stained.  We'll see how I do when I clean them.  He said he'd give me the full  warranty on them.  All factors considered, which I won't go into,  I am pleased with the deal that I got!  ;D  Finally had guests use it with me.  My 6'6" brother, his 5'4" wife, and me at 5'8".  We were all able to stretch out, legs were bumping each other as we tried to massage calves and feet, but we were family, so who cares, and all of a sudden, the tub did not seem so big!  My 3 kids swim in it....  We all get a great massage from all of the jets.  I even bought a couple lap belts to hold me in place when I want a pounding from the motos.  We are really enjoying our Vanguard!
« Last Edit: July 10, 2006, 03:04:28 pm by kervis »
2005 HS Vanguard

cburk0677

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2006, 03:23:57 pm »
Sounds great ;D I have a feeling that the vanguard will be plenty big for my wife and I. We are both on the shorter side at 5'5".  If the vanguard can seat 6 people at an average of 175lb each we should be just fine. I think that's why we thought the grandee looked like overkill. I could swim laps in that thing. ;)

Cburk
« Last Edit: July 10, 2006, 03:24:37 pm by cburk0677 »

Anoroc

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2006, 03:25:41 pm »
I won one and your price is better than mine.  I have the tri-ex filters but can't tell you if they work better or not.  I just like the idea of washing them in the dishwaser.

We have had ours a few months and love it.

cooltoy2000

• Go Flames Go!!!
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2006, 09:38:08 pm »
Had to make the same decision as you three weeks ago. Went with the Vanguard. Had it for about a week, so far so good.

I plan on buying four Tri-x filters and using the five that came with the tub on the circ pump. This was suggested by someone on the forum. Sounds like a good idea. That way I will still use up my regular filters over time, as well as having spears while I am cleaning the Tri-x ones.

Found a couple of sights where Tri-x sell for under $50.

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2006, 09:45:12 pm »
wow no replies. Either I asked the dumbest question ever or nobody has a good answer? ::)

Less than 3 hours? We are good, but not on duty 24/7
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

mxw128

• Newbie with an 05 Vanguard
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2006, 11:22:18 pm »
I've had my 05 Vanguard for almost a year now.  The dealer threw in 4 tri-x filter as part of the deal (he recommended keeping the standard filter on the circ pump) I clean them every 4-6 weeks or so and after a year, the filters still look like new.  The only thing I noticed is a slight fading of the blue rubber ends.

cburk0677

« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2006, 09:34:44 am »
Thanks for all the replies. Makes me feel better about looking seriously into the vanguard. Glad to hear other owners are greatly enjoying this tub!

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2006, 09:45:33 am »
Sounds great ;D I have a feeling that the vanguard will be plenty big for my wife and I. We are both on the shorter side at 5'5".  If the vanguard can seat 6 people at an average of 175lb each we should be just fine. I think that's why we thought the grandee looked like overkill. I could swim laps in that thing. ;)

Cburk

wow.  My wife and I would be considered on the shorter side as well  ;). We felt we were drowning in the vanguard. Interesting.  

Keep in mind gallons and outside dimensions of the tub are only part of the deal. Depth is important too.  I'd  think if you were comfortable in the Vanguard, then the grandee as far as depth goes,  might be a good fit too, just a larger tub with different seating....if my budget allowed, I'd go with the largest tub that fit me.  I like to move around, I like variety, and when I entertain, I like to have as much room as possible.  :)
07 Caldera Geneva

cburk0677

« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2006, 10:03:02 am »
Drew isn't the Grandee deeper than the Vanguard. I was under the impression that it is. Keep in mind I have not wet tested the Vanguard or Grandee. I guess I will still consider the Grandee but honestly most of the time it will just be my wife and I in the tub. When we do have friends and family over it is rarely groups larger than 8-10 people.

Also the grandee is a couple $grand more than the vanguard and I just can't see spending that much more money unless there is an amazing difference between the two tubs.

If anyone else has earth shattering reasons to get the Grandee instead of the Vanguard let me know. We are going to be purchasing a tub summer of 2007 so I have a lot of time to decide and save $. :)

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2006, 10:03:02 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42