What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Coleman Model 461 Rust  (Read 6564 times)

Venissa

• Proud owner of a Coleman model 461
Coleman Model 461 Rust
« on: July 07, 2006, 07:23:22 pm »
Can anyone tell me what would cause this area to rust?  It is the only area on the tub that is rusting.....Maybe a seal?  I am sure the rim is stainless so it shouldnt cause rust...

Don't throw away the old bucket until you know whether the new one holds water.

Hot Tub Forum

Coleman Model 461 Rust
« on: July 07, 2006, 07:23:22 pm »

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
Re: Coleman Model 461 Rust
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2006, 07:32:04 pm »
Can anyone tell me what would cause this area to rust?  It is the only area on the tub that is rusting.....Maybe a seal?  I am sure the rim is stainless so it shouldnt cause rust...

Stainless does not necessarily mean rust proof. There are grades of stainless, some resist rusting very well while others (often the cheaper types) can rust just like that. Talk to your dealer.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

salesdvl

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2006, 07:52:44 pm »
Can anyone tell me what would cause this area to rust?  ...Maybe a seal?  

Seals dont usually rust, but sometimes they do go bad.

;D   ;)
« Last Edit: July 07, 2006, 07:53:17 pm by salesdvl »
Measure once, cut twice.

Venissa

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2006, 07:57:54 pm »

Stainless does not necessarily mean rust proof. There are grades of stainless, some resist rusting very well while others (often the cheaper types) can rust just like that. Talk to your dealer.

For the cost of the tub I wouldnt think it would be made of cheap stainless....Coleman is a good quality tub.

hymbaw

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2006, 09:08:19 pm »
Or so we were led to believe.
People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they're not on your road doesn't mean they've gotten lost.

Venissa

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2006, 09:33:03 pm »
Or so we were led to believe.

You guys sure are helpful.........lol

Venissa

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2006, 09:34:04 pm »

Seals dont usually rust, but sometimes they do go bad.

;D   ;)

LOL

HotTubMan

• My 2.1 cents, eh
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2006, 10:28:59 am »
It is not the quality of the steel. Coleman and many manufacturers still offer stainless escutions on the jets but not around the controls on the top side because oxygen + 304 grade stainless steel + ozone vapour + bromine / chlorine vapour can and will rust.

I have also seen this happen on jets around the water line, rarely below the water line.
Homeworks Financing Representative

Backpains

• proud owner of a Coleman 461
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2006, 10:30:40 am »
Ok first off..I have no idea what or who sold you this hot tub but I would say you have some problems. I have the 461 and the only problem I have had with that certain part of the tub (which ladies and gents is called the "Comfort Collar" turn on valve) is that the top outer ring on it cracked but was replaced right away. I've never seen it rust nor have I seen the problems you're having with it Venissa.

The Coleman hot tubs are a very very good tub and I've had mine for a year now and absolutely LOVE mine everyone on this site knows this! I'm sorry you are having so many problems with the Coleman 461 but....I'd get a tech out cause between this rust and you're TOOOOO hot of water you defintely have problems.

That's my opinion anyway. Good luck!

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2006, 02:16:58 pm »

For the cost of the tub I wouldnt think it would be made of cheap stainless....Coleman is a good quality tub.

Coleman is a good tub but that should not rust like that. Let your dealer know and they should look into it.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Venissa

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2006, 07:03:03 pm »
Do you think the vapor could have caused the rust mixed with bromine and other chemicals?
I think we figured out the problem with the filter in my other thread.  Sounds like the PH got to low which caused the plastic on the filter to dissolve......which as stated in the other thread I had to constantly keep raising the PH because it stayed low all the time.....Maybe one time it got wayyyy to lowww.
I usually kept it up until the tub got to hot to use and then I didnt keep an eye on the PH as I had been doing.

Venissa

« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2006, 07:06:35 pm »
It is not the quality of the steel. Coleman and many manufacturers still offer stainless escutions on the jets but not around the controls on the top side because oxygen + 304 grade stainless steel + ozone vapour + bromine / chlorine vapour can and will rust.

I have also seen this happen on jets around the water line, rarely below the water line.

Great info!
Venissa

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2006, 10:10:16 am »
Do you think the vapor could have caused the rust mixed with bromine and other chemicals?
I think we figured out the problem with the filter in my other thread.  Sounds like the PH got to low which caused the plastic on the filter to dissolve......which as stated in the other thread I had to constantly keep raising the PH because it stayed low all the time.....Maybe one time it got wayyyy to lowww.
I usually kept it up until the tub got to hot to use and then I didnt keep an eye on the PH as I had been doing.

Get that fixed, and going forward, make sure your water is balanced properly.  That will eliminate water issues as the possible cause going forward.  
Ask your dealer if they've seen this on the other tubs they've sold- they might know what causes the rust.
It's also possible that Coleman just got a bad run of product for that particular part.
Brewman

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2006, 09:36:26 am »
speaking of seals....On a hot sunny day, a walrus was driving through town and his car broke down.  

The walrus  drops the car off  at a local garage and tells the mechanic to take a look at it while he grabs a bite to eat.

After a wonderful lunch, the walrus stops over at the local dairy for an ice cream cone and heads back to the garage.

The Walrus walks into the garage, where the mechanic looks up from the broken car and says "Well, it looks like you blew a seal...."

"No no no!" The walrus says, wiping his lips, "It's ice cream! Honest! "

we now return you to your regulary scheduled coleman topic.....

;)
« Last Edit: July 10, 2006, 09:37:43 am by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2006, 10:55:44 am »
speaking of seals....On a hot sunny day, a walrus was driving through town and his car broke down.  

The walrus  drops the car off  at a local garage and tells the mechanic to take a look at it while he grabs a bite to eat.

After a wonderful lunch, the walrus stops over at the local dairy for an ice cream cone and heads back to the garage.

The Walrus walks into the garage, where the mechanic looks up from the broken car and says "Well, it looks like you blew a seal...."

"No no no!" The walrus says, wiping his lips, "It's ice cream! Honest! "

we now return you to your regulary scheduled coleman topic.....

;)

Not quite yet were not.

This reminds me of the novelty song "Wet Dream" by a guy named Kip Odatta (unsure of the spelling there).
Used to get a lot of airplay on the Dr. Demento show.

Has the same line in it- something akin to-

"I was driving my baracuda and it overheated.  So I took it to a Shell station to get fixed.  The mechanic looked at it and said - Looks like you blew a seal.
I said- Fix the car, and leave my personal life out of it.

Brewman

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2006, 10:55:44 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42