What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Vertically challenged  (Read 5173 times)

sharkgirl

Vertically challenged
« on: July 01, 2006, 09:26:22 am »
This looks like the definitive place for candid, reliable information on hot tubs.  

We are in the market for our first hot tub.  Should be great for the hubbie as he works a very physical job and has lots of aches and pains.

He will likely be happy and experience the benefits from just about any tub, but I am concerned about how well I will do because I am quite short (5' 2"), and when we sit in the seats in the showroom, I feel like the water will be up to my eyes.  Should I be worried about this, or will the buoyancy correct this?

Also, we are looking seriously at a Calspa.  Any opinions?

Hot Tub Forum

Vertically challenged
« on: July 01, 2006, 09:26:22 am »

TN__HOT_TUB

• Owner of  an Artesian Island Grand Cayman
Re: Vertically challenged
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2006, 09:37:05 am »
I'll be the first to say it.  Wet test.  Some tubs will fit you better than others.

Also, you might find that some of the real deep corner seats may not feel too comfortable.  

Our tub (like most) has several seats and each one is a bit different in depth.  Manufacturers are smart like that. They want to appeal to folks of all shapes and sizes.
Artesian Island Grand Cayman

96SC

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2006, 09:47:45 am »
This looks like the definitive place for candid, reliable information on hot tubs.  

We are in the market for our first hot tub.  Should be great for the hubbie as he works a very physical job and has lots of aches and pains.

He will likely be happy and experience the benefits from just about any tub, but I am concerned about how well I will do because I am quite short (5' 2"), and when we sit in the seats in the showroom, I feel like the water will be up to my eyes.  Should I be worried about this, or will the buoyancy correct this?

Welcome to the forum.  
When you say 'when we sit in the seats in the showroom, I feel like the water will be up to my eyes'  don't go by the dry sit, you'll have to determine that when the spa is full (wet test).  It may be too deep for you, there are differing depths for differnt spas.

Everyone will tell you to do a wet test, take their advice.  Take a snorkle in case your hunch is correct, though.  

Don't get 'married' to a particular spa so early in your search,  look at several spas and companies before you make up your mind.
Before I speak, I have something important to say--Groucho Marx

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
  • 30 Year HotSpring Spa Dealer
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2006, 10:01:14 am »
That's very good advice.  I would absolutely wet test in your situation.  If the dealer gives you ANY excuse as to why you can't try out the spa you're interested in, turn around and walk away...just walk awwwwaaaayyyyy.

Welcome to the forum. :)

Terminator
Just layin' low and chucklin' in my stomach wif' da fidgets...

hymbaw

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2006, 10:36:16 am »

Do a search for CalSpas and I'm pretty sure you'll find some opinions ;D
People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they're not on your road doesn't mean they've gotten lost.

sharkgirl

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2006, 11:39:15 am »
Thanks for the quick and sound advice.  The showroom we have been in has one tub that is filled with water (wet test ready, I presume).  However, the model we are interested in is not full.  Is that a legit excuse for not allowing us to wet test that particular model?

96SC

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2006, 12:00:57 pm »
To answer your question, NO.

Ask if you can do a wet test in the spa you are interested in, if they resist, do like Terminator said...just walk awwwaaayyy!!  I don't know where you live but I'll bet there is another Calspa dealer somewhere near you.  But again, shop around.

We had a similar experience with a dealer.  They told us we could sit in the empty spa because 'you'll get the same feel as if it had water in it' (bullhocky).  DW and I traveled 50 miles to another dealer who was more that happy to let us wet test any spa they had (which was numerous), just give them enough advanced notice to fill it up and get it heated.  That is how you should be treated.
Before I speak, I have something important to say--Groucho Marx

anne

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2006, 01:46:53 pm »
When I was shopping for a spa (few months ago) CalSpa was one of the first places I went. I had done a fair amount of searching online, talked to friends, but had not been to this site yet. I was told that we dont do wet tests- sorry- but were sure we can find something to make you happy. They had about 3 out of 40-60 tubs filled with luke warm water so you could feel the jets with your hands. I assume that the no wet-test policy is company-wide.
They definitely tried to make it sound like my request was a bit odd, but the salesman was very polite and friendly and awswered all of my many questions very readily. When I thanked him for his time but told him I would not be back since I'd not buy without a wet test, he was as bland as can be. I ALMOST got the impression that he was not surprised- sort of like since I came into the store knowing what questions to ask, I was not the gullible lady he had hoped I would be.

Schmarmy.

I'm a little under 5'4" and that was sometimes an issue. You NEED to wet test to find your comfort zone.

Good luck! And keep looking around!
Dance like nobody's watching

sharkgirl

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2006, 04:08:16 pm »
Anne,

Thanks for the advice.  I wonder if you would be kind enough to tell me which brand/model you ended up with, and whether or not you are satisfied with your selection of seats (i.e. are they high enough)?

Thanks again to all who have responded.  Will let you know how I make out with the wet test requests.  Unfortunately, here in Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada, there are probably only about 1/2 dozen spa dealers in the metro area.

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2006, 04:17:13 pm »
Yes, you should be concerned. Your case is one of the best cases for wet testing.  Keep in mind though that you or your hubby will not be comfortable in every seat, so find one you both can be happy with.

Cal makes some great looking spas. They have a few vocal detractors. I only have one friend with a 4 year old one.  The local Cal dealer here sells Cal and Hot Springs. That dealer is very well regarded.  Give a lot of importance to the quality and comfort level with a dealer.

I think you will find lots of people here who will be genuinely interested in hearing your observations and what you end up doing.

Welcome!
« Last Edit: July 01, 2006, 04:28:27 pm by wmccall »
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2006, 04:27:27 pm »
 However, the model we are interested in is not full.  Is that a legit excuse for not allowing us to wet test that particular model?

I won't be so quick to give such a definite answer. Dealers here will tell you some of the difficulties of wet test logistics.  Policies on wet tests vary dramatically among the best of dealerships.  It also varies with the size of the facility and their stock on hand.  Use some common sense. The only thing that makes me run is if a dealer says, wet tests are illegal or we are not allowed for health reasons.  Any time I've heard that, the dealer up the street allows it and has never been arrested. Other dealers even build their show rooms around the wet testing facilities.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

mattNY

• '91 HS Highlife
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2006, 07:15:45 pm »
One of my local dealers (the one I don't like) sells Hot Springs, Cal Spas and Viking.  Oh, and Softub too.  The salesman actually told me during his pitch that Cal Spas had reliability problems and weren't that good, since he was pushing me towards a Hot Springs.  I chuckled and said, "Then why do you sell them?"  

He mumbled some excuses and wandered away at that point.

DPS

• The light was yellow, sir
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2006, 10:09:41 pm »
If the seat is too deep with the spa dry, you will not be comfortable in it with the spa wet.  Try a Marquis Epic, it has one side of the spa well suited to someone who is not too tall, but still offering great therapy for them.  There are still plenty of deeper seats offering exceptional therapy for taller bathers.  Insist on wet testing before buying, it's the only way to know for sure.

Tatooed_Lady

• Participating in the Witness Protection Program
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2006, 09:21:50 am »
Here's a thought....HotSpring offers a lineup of tubs that have varying depths. I'd like to think that because of the variety, there's a tub for every height. On that logic, I would HOPE that the other manufacturers also offer a variety, also. Our tub is 38" high (my hubby is 6'3, so we required a deep tub), but HS offers down to 29" heights.
Nothing wrong with shopping around! We didn't wet test, and I've heard all the praises sung about it, and yes, it would've been nice, but....they didn't have a Grandee hooked up and filled, so...*shrug* it's still all good for us.
One thing I've noticed, though...I'm bouyant, and not 6'3, so in some of the deeper seats I tend to lose "gription" on my butt and legs and float out a bit. There ARE weighted lap belts (I'd like one), and water filled booster seats on the market, which I think would help to solve some of that issue.
Whatever you get, best of luck!
RIP C-Rod

anne

« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2006, 11:41:27 pm »
Anne,

Thanks for the advice.  I wonder if you would be kind enough to tell me which brand/model you ended up with, and whether or not you are satisfied with your selection of seats (i.e. are they high enough)?

I purchased an Arctic Summit Legend......they are Canadian, so might be more numerous in your area than mine. I LOVE it. This particular model does not have a lounger, but there are models that do. I initially wanted a lounger, but my boyfriend and I could not find one that was comfortable for both of us.

As it turned out, lacking a lounger is not an issue, since I feel like I can recline a bit with lots of back/arm support in one of the three main seats. The seats vary in depth, but are comfortable for me each in their own way. One is deep enough that with the bubbler on I get too splashed in the face to relax, but I like sitting in that seat when I want to be in water up to my chin. The others are nicer when I want a little more "air", and I can enjoy the bubbler in those.

My tub was a floor model on clearance, so I got a good deal. The Arctic tubs have various "levels" with increasing # jets and pumps. Mine is the highish end, but you could get the same model/layout for less in a different "level." Honestly, I think that the "MSRP" on Arctics is overpriced, but I am extremely happy with the quality and options that I got for a very reasonable price. I would never have paid what my dealer said was list price, but I really think he inflated it as much as possible to make the deal seem sweeter.

I also wet tested and liked the HotSpring Envoy (loved the lounger but not the moto-action) and Coleman 471 was a runner up as well for seat comfort and configuration but the jets were a bit lacking to me in therapy. I tried Artesian, Marquis, LA Spa, and maybe something else I'm forgetting now, and they were just NOT comfortable for me - but it is SOOOO personal that you just cant say "this one is good if you are short and this one is good if you are tall"

If you are interested in more info on the Arctic, I wrote a review in the reviews section of this forum. The little photo (avatar?) on here is a pic of the tub, obviously.

Good luck!!!!
« Last Edit: July 02, 2006, 11:46:18 pm by anne »
Dance like nobody's watching

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2006, 11:41:27 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42