What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Headrest life expectancy  (Read 3387 times)

orlandoguy

• all you need is tub
Headrest life expectancy
« on: July 07, 2006, 01:31:27 pm »
Recently, the rubber trim on my headrests began flaking and pitting.  I have had the tub nearly a year and thought this was a little sudden.

Figuring they would be easy to replace, I searched with no luck and wound up calling Sundance.  The customer service agent was nice, and after a lecture on water management, which she blamed on the demise of the headrests, she sent out a new set for free.  She said what i knew; that they weren't covered under warranty.

Considering she was comping the headrests, I listened to her speech on water management, but am sure I am balancing properly.  Has anyone else had an experience with headrests like this?

Hot Tub Forum

Headrest life expectancy
« on: July 07, 2006, 01:31:27 pm »

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
Re: Headrest life expectancy
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2006, 01:52:58 pm »
No- the headrests in my 2003 Optima are in fine condition.  I recall reading a few posts which have addressed this issue.  

Popular opinion is that:
Chlorine can affect the headrests, so it's best to leave the cover open for maybe 10 or 15 minutes after you add chlorine- longer if you use chlorine shock.
If you don't use dichlor in your spa, then this isn't the issue.

Ozone might contribute to their demise as well.  I have no ozone in my spa, so I can't provide any experience with ozone and Sundance headrests.

Keep the water level below the headrests.  Mine is always at least an inch or two below the headrest.  When we have a crowd in the spa, the water level rises anc covers some portion of the headrests, but it's a very rare thing in our spa.

It was nice that Sundance offered to replace those for you no charge.  They aint cheap!

Brewman

vlady

• 05 Sundance Cameo
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2006, 02:01:39 pm »
I've had my Sundance for a year and I use dichlor and have ozone.  No problems with the headrests so far.  I do keep the cover open for a few minutes after adding chemicals and I do keep the water level below the headrests.

Glad to hear that Sundance rose to the occasion.

orlandoguy

• all you need is tub
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2006, 02:14:34 pm »
Good advice Brewman.

My tub is on bromine, my water level is below the headrests, I leave the cover open 30 mins while shocking with MPS, so that's what confuses me.

They are not completely shot, but are showing some wear, so i put the extra set in the garage until the old ones are really bad.

It was very nice of Sundance to comp them, but considering my long running battle with the worst Jacuzzi dealer in the world,  they have done a great job of making things better over the last few months and also appreciate the recent 2 tubs I referred for jacuzzi.

I must say, Sundance customer service in California is very helpful and seems to genuinely care about their customers.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2006, 02:15:53 pm by orlandoguy »

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2006, 06:25:07 pm »
I changed my SD headrests after about three and a half years.  They started to fade a little.  I believe it is from ozone more than anything else.  I am a dichlor user, but try to keep it minimal.  Ozone is the only chem contantly being introduced to the spa.  I did shock my spa for about a year with dichlor which would raise my free chlorine level to about ten for a day or so...that may have contributed also.  I shock with MPS now.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2006, 06:25:07 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42