What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Great Lakes -vs- Coleman  (Read 6726 times)

bubblesgalore

• Soaking my troubles away
Great Lakes -vs- Coleman
« on: June 29, 2006, 01:12:14 am »
Could someone give an opinion on the reliability, workmanship, and overall rating on Great Lakes, Coleman, and Sundance spas?  I am in the market for a 2-3 person spa.  Price range no higher than $6000. So far, the Great Lakes Tident is a good buy with about 18 jets for about $4500.  However, the Coleman Intamate 351 seems to be a better spa, both in looks and integrity for about $1000 more.  Sundance has the Metro for about $5500 but it has a wood frame.  I am told that the wood frames can deteriorate over time, especially if a leak occurs.
Any helpful opinions welcome.
Thanks

Hot Tub Forum

Great Lakes -vs- Coleman
« on: June 29, 2006, 01:12:14 am »

Mendocino101

• Ultimate Member
  • never ask for what you are not willing to give
Re: Great Lakes -vs- Coleman
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2006, 02:10:00 am »
disregard the wood frame thing....each has some benefit over the other..I think the Coleman and the Sundance are more comparable with the great lakes being a step down..but it might still be a good choice for you.....I like Nordics for a spa under five grand......

bubblesgalore

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2006, 10:44:34 am »
Thank you.
I am going to look once again at the Great Lakes.  On concern is the cost efficiency over the long run.  The Trident doesn't seem to have the insulation that the other high end spas have.  I don't want to buy cheaper now and regret later.  Thanks again for your time.

hymbaw

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2006, 11:36:58 am »
The Great Lakes has as much if not more foam than the Coleman. Great Lakes is not full foam but all of the plumbing is covered with foam. Sundance is the only one of the three that is full foam and IMHO superior to the others.(BTW I sell Sundance and Great Lakes)

The wood frames thing........BS.

I would ask the question "Galvanized metal studs come in 8' sections so when you cut them to size or screw into them you expose ungalvanized steel which will rust, right?" See what the doofus says ;D

Maybe Term can find a picture showing the structural ability of metal frames. I bet he can ;)
People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they're not on your road doesn't mean they've gotten lost.

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
  • 30 Year HotSpring Spa Dealer
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2006, 11:45:58 am »

****THIS IS NOT A COLEMAN SPA AND SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS AN EXAMPLE OF THEIR QUALITY****

This spa was improperly filled with no support.

Courtesy of Stuart

Terminator
« Last Edit: June 29, 2006, 02:37:13 pm by East_TX_Spa »
Just layin' low and chucklin' in my stomach wif' da fidgets...

salesdvl

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2006, 12:04:38 pm »
I agree.  Of the choices you listed: Sundance and Coleman are a notch or 2 above the Great Lakes.  This is not to say that GL isnt a good spa, just not in the same category.
Measure once, cut twice.

bubblesgalore

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2006, 12:56:38 pm »
Thanks to everyone for their responses.  I guess now I have to see what is best for me.  Why did Sundance go back to a wood frame?  My thought is that it is cheaper.  Are there benefits to a wood frame?

spahappy

• Mind body and soul therapy right in my backyard.
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2006, 01:12:19 pm »

Courtesy of Stuart

Terminator

This is not a Coleman spa.....I know what brand it is and it most definitly is not a Coleman spa.

I sell and service Coleman spas in North Dakota. Coleman spas are very efficent. I live in the climate to put them to the test every winter. Sundance is a good brand but don't think that because they are fully foamed that they will cost less to operate than a Coleman.

My own Coleman spa is outside with no protection from the elements and has never ran more than $25.00 a month to heat in the coldest winter months.

There is nothing wrong with wood frames Coleman used wood frames for years and we have had zero issues with them. I can see certain benifits with the metal frame over wood. I wouldn't let that be the deciding factor in your decision.

Try to schedule a wet test in all three brands. Colemans are very comfortable with great  therapy options.

hymbaw

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2006, 05:37:07 pm »
 Why did Sundance go back to a wood frame?  My thought is that it is cheaper.  Are there benefits to a wood frame?

Joe,
Go back??  From what??

The guys trying to cut costs switched TO metal. Metal gained a foothold because it was cheaper(which has changed due to GW "protecting" our steel industry.) Wood still won't rust though.
People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they're not on your road doesn't mean they've gotten lost.

spahappy

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2006, 05:43:17 pm »

Joe,
Go back??  From what??

The guys trying to cut costs switched TO metal. Metal gained a foothold because it was cheaper(which has changed due to GW "protecting" our steel industry.) Wood still won't rust though.

I've seen no rust on the metal Coleman frames.

Have you?

In Canada eh

« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2006, 09:03:12 pm »
Bubblesgalore,

I don't know if you have a Bullfrog dealer in your area.  If you do check out the Bullfrog 451 we bought ours for $6000 canadian, I'm sure it would be cheaper on the other side of the creek. It has all the features you are looking for, 4 person, full foam, quality pump and motor, lots of jets and a good warranty.  We are very happy with ours.  Good luck shopping and remember that the dealer you buy your tub from is almost as important as the tub.
Bullfrog 451

Spiderman

« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2006, 11:07:48 pm »
$4500 for the Trident!!  I can get it for $3350 and the Forte for $3500.   I initially was looking at Great Lakes, but now I seem to be sold on Hot Springs.  I'm still having a hard time justifying spending $7K on a spa though.  
People suffer one of two pains in life:  the pain of discipline, or the pain of regret

stuart

• Ultimate Member
  • Big hairy guys need hottubs too...
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2006, 11:47:13 pm »
Let's talk about that picture...

1. There was no support under the center of the spa when that broke (Then again there was an older Marquis setting right next to it filled the same way that didn't break :o)

2. Your spa should be on a deck or concrete where the chance of putting stress to the corners does not come into play.

3. I've sold both MAXX Products and Great lakes Products in the last year and wouldn't even put Great Lakes in the same league.

4. Maax recently fired a bunch of people in their Canadian factory and seem to still be reeling from that. We are at the longest wait for parts that we have ever been. There seems to be mass confusion every time that we attempt to talk with a tech and even a customer service rep at Gecko told me that they are concerned with what it going on there.

5. Great Lakes also had a major layoff but they were much lower on the food chain to start out.

6.  I have discontinued both products on my floor, as have other dealers that I've worked with over the years.

7. There is no difference in the Coleman frame and the Elite Frame.

The Coleman side of MAAX seems to be the only organized part of the company and what keeps their spa division alive. IMO, the other brands will be their downfall.

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2006, 05:38:37 am »
I think GL is one of the better value lines out there, as long as you know it's a value line. Coleman and Sundance are not marketed as value lines so should be more money. It would be a toss up between those two IMO with Sundance taking a slight edge. Except for the propriatary parts thingy.
Retired

spahappy

« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2006, 12:23:43 pm »
Stuart there is a difference between the Elite and the Coleman frames.

Coleman has the solid ABS pan bottom attached to the steel frame. This adds structual support and would allow a spa to be put on blocks and filled during a repair.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2006, 12:23:43 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42