What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Summer Tubbin'  (Read 5163 times)

DaisyBug08016

• The journey is the reward.
Summer Tubbin'
« on: June 24, 2006, 12:33:44 pm »
Anyone like to share with a newbie how you maximize your hot tub enjoyment in the summer?  Do you turn down the heat? To what temp?

Since it is warm out I find I don't go out as much - and I really hate that... but it hardly seems worth it when I am too hot after like 5 minutes or so... ya know? We turned down the heat to about 99 degrees (F) - I have heard some tell me they turn it down much lower... dh seems to think this is a horrible idea...

So I am looking here to see what those who know have to say...

TIA!
Daisy

Hot Tub Forum

Summer Tubbin'
« on: June 24, 2006, 12:33:44 pm »

Iceman

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Re: Summer Tubbin'
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2006, 12:45:41 pm »
I live in Tucson AZ with daytime highs of 105 +. No matter how low the set temp the heat keeps the tub at 104. We only use the tub after dark or in the early morning. We remove the cover for an hour before  getting in. Leaving the cover propped open is not a good option as AZ is very dusty. We live in the pool. The summers here are tough but the other nine months are delightful. 8)
« Last Edit: June 24, 2006, 01:22:30 pm by Iceman »

Tatooed_Lady

• Participating in the Witness Protection Program
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2006, 12:47:57 pm »
What works for others isn't necessarily going to work for you (I've learned that), but it IS nice to have a basic idea to work with. If you get too hot in a short period of time, turn the temp down a few degrees and try again when the water is cooler. I turned ours down to about 95, and found that I actually got CHILLED when it was hot out! Initially it felt warm, but it brought my body core temp down some after awhile....It'll take less time to raise the water temp a few degrees than it does to lower it, unless you throw bags of ice or frozen 2 litre bottles in...I THINK I've got it set to 98 or 99 right now, and with the weather fluctuations, it's frustrating, but I've soaked several times the last week for an hour at a time to relax, so it's good enough for me! (until it's 99 outside, then I may drop the water temp a degree or two again)
RIP C-Rod

Zep

• Cal Spas SQ92 Dallas-Texas
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2006, 05:43:14 pm »

i turn mine off
drain it
add tequila, limes, Cointreau, & lots of ice.
then I turn it back on and sha-zzzam...
i have a giant margarita machine!
;)
[/b]

« Last Edit: June 24, 2006, 06:28:02 pm by Zep »

loneoak

• Perception is more important than reality
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2006, 09:40:09 pm »
We have ours turned down to 98º during the summer, and don't go in near as much as we do in the cold weather.

I think you have to try out different temps. and see what works for you.  We just dropped it a degree at a time until we found it too chilly & went back up a degree.

Astrid.

Judy_S

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2006, 10:43:06 pm »
ROTFLMAO Zep, I am with you...margaritaville!

Have had mine for 2 weeks now, almost 3.  Keep it at 101.  Have a cooling spot in tub, so when we get too hot we use that, otherwise we get out and sit at table n chairs for awhile n get back in.  (tub is in screened-in patio).  I love the hot water tho, really helps my aches since I have fibromyalgia.  Pass the margaritas, Zep 8)

Stemay

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2006, 11:39:36 pm »
We're newbies at the tubbing thing this summer too.  We lowered it to 98 to see what that would be like.  It was way too cool for me.  We're at 101 now.  I like it at 102 or higher ideally.  We are going in mostly in the evening, so I  guess it's cooler out.  

anne

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2006, 01:59:08 am »
I'm new at all this too. I'm using the tub less than in the spring, but still trying to use it late at night. I have used the tennis ball idea to vent the tub, but a couple of days it was so hot that I though the tub was better off sealed up! 105F today, forcast to be 107F tomorrow! I use it only very late, usually leave the top off for a bit before getting in, and have it set at 100.
Dance like nobody's watching

DaisyBug08016

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2006, 09:04:25 am »
Thanks everyone!  I really appreciate your input!  I think I will try it out at 98 and see - couldn't get in yet - t-storms last night, LOL... I just like to hear what others do, in case there is an idea I hadn't thought of - like the marguerita machine for instance!  Woo_hoo!!  ;D

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2006, 11:02:47 am »
Olivia- Summer Tubbin, happen so fast.
John - Summer Tubbin had me a blast.

Late night soaks.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

IBinit4fun

• I love this tub,... ...puts a big smile on my face
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2006, 12:38:29 pm »
Someone told me that they found a very fine water mist nozzle somewhere that hooked up to their garden hose. They mounted it above the tub so the mist sprayed out above and fell down on those in the tub. He said the cool mist hitting you while sitting in the hot tub was great. I guess kind of like those cooling fans that they use on the sidelines at football games. I'd be interested to see if anyone else has tried this.

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2006, 12:56:14 pm »
Someone told me that they found a very fine water mist nozzle somewhere that hooked up to their garden hose. They mounted it above the tub so the mist sprayed out above and fell down on those in the tub. He said the cool mist hitting you while sitting in the hot tub was great. I guess kind of like those cooling fans that they use on the sidelines at football games. I'd be interested to see if anyone else has tried this.

Its been mentioned a couple of times over the last few years here. I believe one of the popular supply site has a kit.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

NittanyLion

• Fight on State...Roar Lions Roar!
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2006, 02:43:40 pm »
I never thought a few degrees would make a big difference in the tub, but we adjust ours between like 95 and 99 based on feel depending on outside weather I guess, and it amazes me that we can be "cold" at 95 and hot at 99.

As far as the mist sprayer things go I have seen many for auction on Ebay, was thinking about getting one myself.

DaisyBug08016

« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2006, 02:57:31 pm »
I think it has something to do with our internal body temperature being 98.6 - any water temp over that will warm us and any under SHOULD cool us...

If only I could get the thunderstorms to stop at night so I could get in there!!!  :-/

blakley33

• skin to win...in my tub!
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2006, 05:14:08 pm »
We keep our tub set around 97 and depending on the temp outside adjust while we are in. Much easier to warm the water than cool.
I will keep my temp set down to 95 at times and the water will read 99 or even as much as 102. I leave the cover off for a couple of hrs then usually water is at the right temp.

As for the misters, we have a Catalina stealth raptor and it has misters built into the tub. There are 8 misters that go around the edge of the tub and when you want a cool mist of water that covers the entire tub just hit the mister button on the control pad. It is great.
I have heard that in the winter if it is cold enough you can sometimes even turn the mist into a fine snow, will have to see to beileve.
The misters are one of the thing that I really liked about our tub and they are very nice to have in the summer.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2006, 05:14:08 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42