What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: A Guide to Fighting Foam  (Read 10759 times)

HotTubMan

• My 2.1 cents, eh
A Guide to Fighting Foam
« on: June 24, 2006, 09:32:51 am »
I just drafted a hand out for my customers on foaming. I was just wondering if any of you dealers or customers have anything to add or any constructive criticism.

Here is it

The Foam Monster

Foamy hot tub water is very common occurrence that can be caused by a wide range of factors. We thought it might be a good idea to summarize the various causes and solutions.

First thing you should know is that clear or white foam is not harmful. It still may be less than desirable and may also be an indication that something is not right with your water. Bubble Burst will eliminate foam much the same was that Rolaids may help with stomach acid or Tylenol may help relieve pain, it deals with the symptom.

CAUSES

Water Balance. Managing hot tub water is a balancing act. Here are some examples
„«      Low Calcium. Water that is low in calcium is more likely to foam than water that is high in calcium. High Calcium can also be problematic. We recommend you maintain a Calcium Hardness reading between 125-150 Parts Per Million (PPM) Calcium does not fluctuate as often as other balancing properties, we recommend you allow is to check this once a month.
„«      Low Total Alkalinity. Total Alkalinity (TA)helps stabilize pH. We recommend that you maintain a TA reading between 100-150PPM. Use your test strips to test and adjust your TA weekly when the spa is getting moderate to heavy use
„«      High pH. pH is the scale that measure the acid or alkaline nature of your water. We recommend a range of 7.2-7.8 although 7.5 is ideal. Use your test strips to test and adjust your pH weekly in times of moderate to heavy use.
„«      High Total Bromine. When your bromine is 10PPM or higher you water will tend to foam. Also beware of your other reading when your bromine is high. Bromine is a cousin of Chlorine and can bleach your test results when it is higher than the ‘§OK‘¨ range. When this happens, remove your cover and allow the spa to breathe for an hour or two.
„«      High Total Dissolved Solids (TDS). Every time you add any products to the water you increase your TDS. As your TDS increases, your water will tend to foam a little more and will take longer to clear after the jets are turned off. City water from the tap usually starts at 175-350PPM of TDS. We recommend that your drain around 1500 PPM .

Human Waste. We leave all kinds of things in the hot tub. Most of it comes off of our skin. Some examples include:
„«      Soap. From our skin and bathing suits. We suggest that you not launder you hot tub bathing suits to regularly. Rinse and hang. The hot tub will keep them clean.
„«      Moisturizers
„«      Sun Tan / Self Tan Lotions
„«      Cosmetics
„«      Sweat
„«      Underarm Deodorant / Antiperspirant
„«      Shampoo. Keep the hair out of the water!
We aren‘¦t suggesting that you shower before you go in the tub every time, just do not apply these products to your self immediately before entering the tub. Products like Spa Perfect and the Scum Bug do a good job of eliminating these sorts of things in your water.

Filtration. Proper filtration is key.
„«      Clean Filter. Your Filter should be rinsed weekly when the tub is getting moderate to heavy use. You may want to give an extra rinse when you have had guests in your hot tub that do not use hot tubs or saunas regularly. The filter should be chemically treated every 1-2 months. IT IS CRITICAL THAT YOU THOROUGHLY RINSE YOUR FILTER as filter cleaners can cause foam if introduced to the water. We recommend a rinse, soak in straight water and rinse again. This is when a second filter really comes in handy.
„«      Filter Cycles. If your tub is getting heavy use, increasing your filter cycles may help keep the water clean and reduce foaming. Consult your manual on how to adjust your filter cycles.
Homeworks Financing Representative

Hot Tub Forum

A Guide to Fighting Foam
« on: June 24, 2006, 09:32:51 am »

Tatooed_Lady

• Participating in the Witness Protection Program
Re: A Guide to Fighting Foam
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2006, 11:17:25 am »
Personally, I like that...then again, I love having too much information in front of me, so I can indulge my brain after a strenuous week of playing in the dirt and mud.... ;)
This also reminds me I need to buy a 5 gallon bucket for soaking my filters.
RIP C-Rod

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2006, 12:57:17 pm »
I would add to hit the tub with MPS to burn up the organics. I have found that a 1-2 punch of dichlor and MPS kills the foam.

I might also add not to go adding a buch of stuff to fight foam (the K.I.S.S. method - Keep It Simple Stupid). I'm talking from experience - I've tried lots of stuff and I am finding (after 1 year of ownership) that dichlor (and I guess bromine), MPS and Sea Klear clarifier about every other week works for me.

HotTubMan

• My 2.1 cents, eh
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2006, 02:48:27 pm »
Vinny, good point on the shocking. I am shocked that I neglected to mention it, this is why I posted this...figured I would forget something.
Homeworks Financing Representative

blakley33

• skin to win...in my tub!
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2006, 11:30:43 pm »
I have had a problem with foam in my tub since I got the tub about 2.5months ago. The only thing I can think from what you said would be my calcium may be to low.
My calcium always reads around 50. Would this couse the foaming and what do I use to get the reading up.
I rinse my filters probably about 2x per week and soak them 1x per month. I have done 2 water changes since we got the tub. Always cautious about cosmetics and usally only my wife and I in the tub, maybe a few friends here and there. Tub is used about 4x per week for about 45 min each. We have the tub on two 4hr filter cycles per 24hrs.
My foam is always white in color but does leave a brownish film on the edge of tub at times, mainly if I use a foam reducer.
any suggestions?

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2006, 07:14:08 am »
Vinny, good point on the shocking. I am shocked that I neglected to mention it, this is why I posted this...figured I would forget something.

In the second paragraph you mention bubble busting and how it cures the symptom, not the cause. I assume you are referring to foam out products?

Human waste?  Can you come up with a better term there.  Perhaps cosmetic products?
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2006, 09:04:16 am »
I think I could be a bit better on keeping my CA up. It seems to settle down at the lower end of the acceptable range.  Next time I'm picking up chems. I think I'll pick up some Ca increaser.

how does CA effect the overall water chemistry and why is it an important indicator/factor?
07 Caldera Geneva

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2006, 10:16:26 am »
I think I could be a bit better on keeping my CA up. It seems to settle down at the lower end of the acceptable range.  Next time I'm picking up chems. I think I'll pick up some Ca increaser.

how does CA effect the overall water chemistry and why is it an important indicator/factor?

Are you asking this, or just suggesting his paper cover that?
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2006, 10:23:00 am »
I'm asking for my own edification.  :D

I've been told tha CA effects foam and can effect scale which can effect the heater, but   if anyone has a nice clear explannation that will help me understand better, I'd be a very happy tubber.  :)
« Last Edit: June 27, 2006, 10:24:29 am by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2006, 11:19:43 am »
I applaud this effort. I have taken another approach: here is a list of things which do NOT induce foam into the spa:

[size=16]Clean rocks.
[/size]

That's it. Everything else does.

;)
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2006, 11:25:20 am »
I applaud this effort. I have taken another approach: here is a list of things which do NOT induce foam into the spa:

[size=16]Clean rocks.
[/size]

That's it. Everything else does.

;)

What about these rocks?

I once read that Mickey from the old Life cerial comericals put a pack of these in the hot tub with a can of coke and he died!
07 Caldera Geneva

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2006, 11:27:02 am »
How many lines is in a can?

::)

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2006, 11:30:35 am »
How many lines is in a can?

lets see. 12 oz is just under half a gram... um 30, depending on how fat your rails are and how many strippers you are with?

07 Caldera Geneva

LINDALU

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2006, 02:43:03 pm »
Thanks for sharing this info., very informative. ::)

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2006, 04:23:36 pm »
Sorry, never done drugs, so I don't know if that was funny or not...

Back on topic:

When you get to the point of adding a foam disperser, such as "Foam Down" etc, be sure to let it run for awhile and then rinse your filter.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2006, 04:23:36 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42