What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Filtering experiment, test results are in...  (Read 6886 times)

hymbaw

Re: Filtering experiment, test results are in...
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2006, 05:37:22 pm »
The jet pumps come on only to introduce newly sanitized water into the plumbing. No filtration is occuring.(in the 880 Series)

Lets assume you don't use your tub for a week or two.
On some other circ pump tubs the water in the plumbing just sits there, festering with bacteria, until you turn on the jets. (Spewing that festering mass of bacteria right into your lap!)

Eww!
People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they're not on your road doesn't mean they've gotten lost.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2006, 05:37:22 pm »

rick

« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2006, 06:40:41 pm »
You guys still don't understand what and where a circ pump is supposed to be used???

I'm sorry, couldn't resist.

When I was searching for my spa,  (Coleman 480),  I called around to many Coleman dealers, trying to find one that also carried another line.  

This one guy had HS and Coleman,  and I asked him point blank,  which one was better at keeping the water clean,  he didn't hesitate,  Coleman.

GO COLEMAN!    GO THERMOPANE!    GO IN THE TRASH CAN CIRC PUMP!!

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2006, 09:13:38 am »
I am with the crowd of "Filtering consists of the amount of water being moved through the filter media.  or, turnover rates.  (as well as circulation,  ie how mch different water is being brought through the filter?)

In the discussions about these two tubs, this has been brought up, but can anyone do the actual math? given the pumps, (the speeds and capcity),

1) how much water did each tub turn over?
2) what time frame did these tubs turn the water over
3) observations of the water quality.

07 Caldera Geneva

hymbaw

« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2006, 11:50:42 am »
The Sundance 880 Series filters 50,400 gallons per day!

As MC hammer would say......"you can't touch this!!!!"
People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they're not on your road doesn't mean they've gotten lost.

Rayman

• KEEP ON TUBBING.....Bea chcomber owner
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2006, 01:31:36 pm »
That was my understanding that they do still run the larger pumps...

My Beachcomber has the larger circ pump, it runs 24/7 and that is the factory default.  The other 2 pumps never come on except for therapy.
Beachcomber 750, Brampton On Canada, GO LEAFS GO!!

DPS

• The light was yellow, sir
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2006, 08:34:06 pm »
On the factory settings, Marquis Spas filter 24,000 gallons per day, but can be set for as much as 76,000 gallons in 24 hours if necessary.  I don't know why you would ever need that much circulation.  My Epic at home filters about 29,000 gallons per day and my water is always crystal clear.  I have had spas that only filtered 6000-7000 gallons per day and can definately see a huge difference between turning the water over 60-65 times a day vs. turning it over only 12-15 times a day.

wetone

« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2006, 09:17:20 am »
In my experiment the Coleman turned over 22,500 gallons in 4 hours 10 min. single 75 sq/ft filter. The D1 turned over 18,450 gallons. 2 - 75sq/ft filters

So there is quite the difference in the turn over... how-ever, after examining both models plumbing configuration, Coleman has a 5lb check valve on the filter side which with a normal clean filter should not open on low,(no bypass) It also draws water from the top and a foot well intake that is plumbed to the filter housing (before the filter)... 22,500 gallons 100% filtered.

After closely examining the D1, it has a y plumbed in the intake to the main filter pump, water skimmed off the top goes through the filter, water drawn from the foot well intake goes directly to the pump bypassing the filter, hence 18,450 gallons turned over and at best 50% filtered.

D1’s circ pump has it’s own filter plumbed directly to the circ pump, I guess they relay on the circ for most of the water cleaning with the 24 hour ozone.

2 respected brand name manufactures, 2 different ways of filtering, with normal city water and normal use, both systems keep the water clean and comfort should take front seat in the buying decision.

I've had a D1 Chairman II in my back yard for 2 years now and no water care prblems to todate :)
« Last Edit: June 22, 2006, 09:19:30 am by wetone »

HotTubMan

• My 2.1 cents, eh
« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2006, 02:03:03 pm »
I did always wonder why D-1's circ pump is not connect to the skimmer. Seems to me that would make more sense.
Homeworks Financing Representative

galen

• Maxxus
« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2006, 01:42:40 pm »
I must say that the water in my 880 Sundance tub has always been Crystal clear. The water has been in the tub 5 months now with no signs of any problems at all. I guess I could change it but the TDS is still low. Now we do take care in how clean we are before jumping in. I don't go mow, then jump in.  :o I consider my tub very easy to maintain.

tanstaafl2

• Keeping a close eye on the new spa...
« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2006, 03:43:58 pm »
Don't know were it fits in the debate but have been happy with my low flow 24 hour circ pump with 24 hr ozone and n2. Have been away from home almost 3 weeks and just left the tub running but turned down the temp to 80. Temp dropped only to 95 (Tub is under the deck with roof overhead, not in direct sun). More importantly the water remained crystal clear. The jet pumps automatically  come on about 30 minutes twice a day to "flush the lines" and it seemed to do the trick. Turnd the temp back up to 100 and enjoyed a soak the night of my return with no problems.

Water still in good shape 3+ months out from initial fill after 3 weeks of no treatment while out of town. Plan to do a refill soon only because it will soon be 4 months but don't really seem to be having any water issues that are forcing my hand at present.
In hot water with my '06 Reflections Granada

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2006, 03:51:05 pm »
Water still in good shape 3+ months out from initial fill after 3 weeks of no treatment while out of town. Plan to do a refill soon only because it will soon be 4 months but don't really seem to be having any water issues that are forcing my hand at present.

Thats impressive for a newbie, it was my third fill or so before I could make those kinds of claims. The fact that your water looks good is a real tribute, but go ahead and change again sometime soon. Chances are, while still looking good, you might have forgotten just how new water looks and feels.  When 3 or 4 month old water does go bad, it goes bad in a hurry, so changing now on your terms will prevent you from having to change when other things, like a sudden trip away from home.   I think you said you live southern US, but I always try to change the water in late July so that it is due again in late October, which is the latest time of the year when I can count on still using my outside hoses.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2006, 03:53:46 pm by wmccall »
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

tanstaafl2

• Keeping a close eye on the new spa...
« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2006, 05:02:25 pm »

Thats impressive for a newbie, it was my third fill or so before I could make those kinds of claims. The fact that your water looks good is a real tribute, but go ahead and change again sometime soon. Chances are, while still looking good, you might have forgotten just how new water looks and feels.  When 3 or 4 month old water does go bad, it goes bad in a hurry, so changing now on your terms will prevent you from having to change when other things, like a sudden trip away from home.   I think you said you live southern US, but I always try to change the water in late July so that it is due again in late October, which is the latest time of the year when I can count on still using my outside hoses.

I am indeed in the south and use of hose not an issue during the winter. But getting wet when it is cold IS an issue! So I will probably take your advice and change soon so that  I can avoid the really cold weather and get the next change in before the holidays. Have some guests in town over the holidays and would be nice to have fresh water in the tub at that time anyway!

Atlanta area seems to have pretty decent water right from the tap and that has no doubt made it easier but I have also deliberately tried to avoid "overmedicating" the tub as we newbies are apparently prone to do!
In hot water with my '06 Reflections Granada

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2006, 05:02:25 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42