What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Caldera Niagara - Humming from Circ Pump  (Read 3031 times)

wrobo

• Go Buckeyes !!!
Caldera Niagara - Humming from Circ Pump
« on: June 21, 2006, 05:59:45 pm »
Hi all,

My 1.5 year old Niagara has developed a hum that is audible from 10-15 feet away (while the circulation pump is running).  It is not "terrible", however, it was inaudible (in my opinion) when the spa was new.

I read in another post on this site that one should not hear the circ pump, unless there is something wrong with it.  Can anyone tender a guess whether the pump is failing, wearing, ...

I called up the dealer, since it is under warranty.  He stated that he would send somebody out, however, if it was just that something in the mechanical compartment might have shifted, that it may not be covered by warranty and that I might wanna take the cover off and peak at it.  I took the cover off, and saw nothing that I deemed should make the resonant humming sound.

I was first looking for feedback regarding the noise with the circ pump, but also to gauge whether or not I have a valid reason to have the dealer check out my concern of a semi-loud resonant humming (even though everything is functioning properly - as far as I can tell in the filtration of the tub).

I get the sense that he does not want to be bothered by me (because there might not be a warranty pay claim in his eyes).  For whatever reason (and NO I have in no way been a pain in the *ss to this guy) that I was treated a lot better during the "courting" stage than now when he has had the sale.  Just a bit frustrated...

Hot Tub Forum

Caldera Niagara - Humming from Circ Pump
« on: June 21, 2006, 05:59:45 pm »

rick

Re: Caldera Niagara - Humming from Circ Pump
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2006, 06:38:16 pm »
scoundrel.

Tell him to get his sorry butt out to your place asap or he'll be on the receiving end of a malfunctioning circ pump.   :)

No seriously,  if he keeps balking,  call Caldera directly and report this sorry SOB.

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2006, 08:33:19 pm »
If something shifted in shipping/handling, it would be covered under warranty to shut the thing up.

Get your dealer out there - tell him your spa makes a noise it shouldn't be making.
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

obi wan

• you're just jealous the voices only talk to ME!
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2006, 12:12:14 am »
absolutely get your dealer there. we bought our niagra 16 months ago, and the circ pmp is as quiet as the day we looked at it in the store....

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2006, 07:31:29 am »
If something shifted in shipping/handling, it would be covered under warranty to shut the thing up.

Get your dealer out there - tell him your spa makes a noise it shouldn't be making.

Yea, what he said.  When you did open it up, did you identify the circ pump and have the power on?  I would think there is a slight possability that it might just have worked loose from its mount and be vibrating on the frame.  That would be an easy fix. If that isn't it, if you can put your hand on the pump and feel the hum and its mounted properly, that would be pretty conclusive. Then you could tell the dealer make sure you bring a circ pump, which he probably won't
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2006, 07:31:29 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42