What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Dealers, do you recommend wet testing?  (Read 5662 times)

Gomboman

• My Pride and Joy
Dealers, do you recommend wet testing?
« on: June 18, 2006, 08:43:27 pm »
OK, most of us consumers really push wet testing a spa before purchasing. We all know that a dry spa may not work once it's filled with water. We all have different buoyancy factors. :)

Anyway, do most dealers buy into this theory? I'm sure wet testing could kill a deal in some circumstances. If someone came in and liked a dry spa, would you suggest they come back later to wet test?

Dealers, how many of your customers actually wet test before buying? Do you really push a wet test?
2005 Hot Spring Envoy still going strong. Million-Mile Club....

I want to get in the spa business so I can surf the internet and use Photoshop all day long.

Hot Tub Forum

Dealers, do you recommend wet testing?
« on: June 18, 2006, 08:43:27 pm »

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
Re: Dealers, do you recommend wet testing?
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2006, 09:31:42 pm »
I always suggest a wet test. Very few of our customers do the wet test.

I spend a lot of time at each seat with the person putting hands and arms in front of jets - but as you say, the bouyancy thing cannot be explored without a wet test.
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

DPS

• The light was yellow, sir
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2006, 10:38:34 pm »
We always suggest a wet test.  If the customer is going to shop more places after leaving our store, we talk more about how important it is to wet test.  We keep new bathing suits, robes, and a steady supply of fresh towels to encourage wet testing.  When we follow up with a shopper who has not yet made their spa purchase we offer a private after-hours wet-test.  
Even with all that effort, less than 10 percent of our customers wet tested.  
Now, if the customer wet tests, they buy our spa over 98% of the time (going back 5 years).

anne

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2006, 06:00:03 am »
This is interesting- dont want to steal the thread, but just add a question: It amazes me that Chas and DPS say so few people wet test. Other estimated percentages of cutomers who do or dont? Is the most common reason lack of comfort, or do they just not think it is important?
Dance like nobody's watching

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2006, 07:10:16 am »
I didn't think it was important when I bought.  Even though I've worked in Computers and Internet for almost 20 years, I never thought to get much info online before we bought and I discovered this forum a couple of months after looking for care/chemical info.  I had been in several tubs of friends and was pretty sure I knew what I wanted.  Fortunately, we bought a tub that was right for us. Now, knowing more about them than I did then, I would probably wet test now.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

gores95

• '06 Caldera Geneva
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2006, 07:19:15 am »
I am in the process of buying my first tub.  Never even thought to wet test until I started looking and stumbled upon this site.  EVERY dealer I have talked to except one suggested a wet test.  This Artesian/Coleman salesman (helping me was actually a summer college kid working there) never saw anyone wet test a spa in his four years at the shop.  I was suprised at that.

Marc

TMJ

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2006, 07:21:28 am »
 3 of the 4 dealers, we visited, offered a wet test. The one dealer that did not offer, we asked, and there was no problem having one. I feel they are a must to decide if they are a good fit. Through the wet tests, we found out all loungers are not the same, and for us, a lounge seat was a must. I suggest wet testing to all who seem interested in purchasing a hot tub.

thearm

• EMERALD CLASSIC all the way!!!
MRe: Dealers, do you recommend wet testing?
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2006, 09:43:11 am »
Most of the dealers suggested a wet test when we were looking to buy. Really wanted to buy one brand but after wet testing decided not to go that way. Funny thing is ended up buying from dealer who does not offer wet tests but seemed very knowledgeable and had been in business for over 50 years. I think wet tests are important but having a good dealer maybe most important in my book.

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2006, 11:13:09 am »
we found out all loungers are not the same,  

A very good point, but I would add the same loungers are not the same for evryone.  My 5'4 130 pound daughter isn't comfortable in our lounger, but she didn't pay for it.  ;)

I ronically though she will sit in the lounger at the opposite end and use it as a cool down seat, which is a feature our tub doesn't have that I might look closer at next time.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2006, 11:14:22 am by wmccall »
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

wetone

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2006, 01:11:59 pm »
Yes we do, and the results are interesting, we keep track of how many people take us up on the offer to wet test the model they want before they purchase and the results for the last 12 months for us are..... less then 5%.

Mendocino101

• Ultimate Member
  • never ask for what you are not willing to give
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2006, 01:27:18 pm »
 I think many dealers here have posted about how few people do wet test....We  invite everyone to do so.....you might be surprised on how very few will even dry test..... especially women....

spahappy

• Mind body and soul therapy right in my backyard.
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2006, 01:34:30 pm »
We offer it to everyone and about 40% take us up on it.

Out of that 40% we close at least 98%, usually the same night they wet test.

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2006, 03:23:29 pm »
We offer it to everyone and about 40% take us up on it.

Out of that 40% we close at least 98%, usually the same night they wet test.

What else is there to do in ND  besides hunt, fish, drink beer, and curl?  ;D    I wonder how many dealers consider wet tests a burden. I can see where it might be, but the dealers saying that there are high percentages of sales from those that do wet test, would seem to be a number that can't be ignored.   I would think the number of people wet testing just for the sake of a free soak should be almost nil, but maybe they might even be a referral down the road.

Getting back to ND, I've been to 45 of the 50, but ND isn't one of them.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2006, 03:31:29 pm by wmccall »

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
  • 30 Year HotSpring Spa Dealer
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2006, 01:26:18 pm »
People just don't wet test, for the most part.  Maybe 2% at my store.  Me hovering over them with a camera probably doesn't help.

Terminator
Just layin' low and chucklin' in my stomach wif' da fidgets...

Anoroc

« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2006, 01:33:09 pm »
When I was looking for spas I wet tested a caldera in the backroom of their show room.  The room was closed off so I felt pretty comfortable.

No sooner had I sat in the spa when the young and highly developed sales Lady walked over to the tub and leaned over and started asking me what I thought of the spa.

Now, I know many of you would be thinking, "yes!"...but I was actually embarassed about the whole thing.  Trying to get a feel for a hot tub while trying to hold your gut in is real hard work. :D

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2006, 01:33:09 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42