What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Question regarding self-install of cover lifter  (Read 7516 times)

gores95

• '06 Caldera Geneva
Question regarding self-install of cover lifter
« on: June 16, 2006, 12:48:15 pm »
Have not formally ordered the new spa yet but my dealer is including the Covermate III for $300 additional.  I noticed on various sites that I could get this for about $70-80 less and install it myself.  The only thing that kinda freaks me out is that there are are total of 20 screws that attach the bracket to the top rear of the tub...10 on each side).  It recommends drilling small pilot holes first.  Has anyone done this themselves and is it pretty foolproof?  No need to remove the cabinet right...there should be wood behind it where you drill?  

For you Covermate owners how does everything look when opened?  Is the cover held too high?

Also the Cover Caddy was another lifter I was looking at.  It keeps the cover much lower and I do have clearance behind the spa.  If you look at the directions there is even more drilling and you may have to install a wooden support bracket on the outside for support.  One poster here actually removed the cabinet and put the cross supports inside.  I really do not want to have to mess with that.  Has anyone installed the Cover Caddy and did not have to add additional support?

I just wonder if saving a few bucks is worth it and am I better off letting the dealer install the cover lifter?

Here is the link with the two I have mentioned:  http://www.rhtubs.com/store/cover.htm

Thanks,

Marc
« Last Edit: June 16, 2006, 12:52:21 pm by gores95 »

Hot Tub Forum

Question regarding self-install of cover lifter
« on: June 16, 2006, 12:48:15 pm »

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
Re: Question regarding self-install of cover lifte
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2006, 01:05:14 pm »
I installed my own CM 1.  I'm not sure how it differs to the CM III.

But, yes there where 29 gazillion screws.   I don't mind doing small projects like this.  It took me about 45 minutes.  IT wasn't difficult, but you will need to read the instructions and take your time to avoid screwing it up.  A good screw gun is important.

Is it worth saving $70?  Well, if you mess it up, it's your tub... I'd be inclined to have the dealer, who installed many of them to do it. (for funky reasons, my dealer did not included the installation in the price).  

I did not have to remove the cabnet panels. But, yea, I was a bit nervous about putting a drill to my new tub.

« Last Edit: June 16, 2006, 01:08:18 pm by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2006, 01:09:55 pm »
I'm with Drewstar on this one.  Usually, I jump at the chance to save a few pennies, but if you let the dealer install this at delivery, you'll have 100% of your spa in place and up and running, without incurring any risk on yourself.  
 It's a pretty small percentage of the overall cost of getting the spa in place, isn't it?
Brewman

anne

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2006, 01:16:38 pm »
hehehe- check with your dealer and make sure that if you get it from him he actually installs it. I got a covermateI thrown in with my tub, and I assumed that when the tub was delivered they'd install it, but they just said "here you go!" and handed me the box. When I asked a few qestions about installing, he said he had no idea, he just knew how to move tubs.

Now, I think that my situation with this dealer and his idiotic cronies was unusual, but since you are basing the decision on extra savings vs DIY, I'd get clarification.

And, for what it is worth, I'm a LITTLE handier than your average girl, and I had absolutely no problem with the installation. Yours is a different model than mine, but the process should be the same, and my covermate came with very clear instructions about where to install the brackets for how high you want the cover.

Congrats!
Dance like nobody's watching

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2006, 01:31:39 pm »
The covermates are pretty good quality, I bought mine from there.  Its not a hard process, but while the equipment is good, the instructions are minimal. If you had never done it before it might be a little difficult. I had the advantage of having a cover put on badly, by the delivery company. After seeing why it was put on wrong and help from Doc, Chas, and Hydro Steve, I was able to get it on correctly.  (My first lifter was a Covermate I knock off)  After getting it right, I decided to replace it with a genuine coverlifter II using the under the tub mount.  My cover 92x93" with a 5"-3" taper was too big for that cheap lifter.  Holding it up high does create more tension on the lifter and once I did get damage to my tub skirt when the lifter broke.  I like the new lifter better. But as I mentioned, the instructions are minimal. Look at the picture, get everything in place making sure everything is centered and you will be ok,. Though without a power screw driver all those self tapping screws are a lot of work.

« Last Edit: June 16, 2006, 03:39:12 pm by wmccall »
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2006, 01:37:17 pm »
Though without a power screw driver all those self tapping screws are a lot of work.

Good wrist muscles help out.   ::)

;D
07 Caldera Geneva

gores95

• '06 Caldera Geneva
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2006, 01:44:45 pm »
You guys convinced me.  I will let the dealer install and shell out a few more clams!  I like the Covermate I because only half the folded cover is above the spa.  The Covermate III looks like most if not all the folded cover is above the spa.  In my case I like the lower profile.  Problem is the III looks better made and has the gas shocks.  I is a $100 cheaper than III btw.

My tub will either be a Caldera:  Moorea (7' X 7'7") or Niagara (7'5" X 7'5").  Would either of these sizes be appropriate for the Covermate I or should I go for the seemingly more hardy Covermate III?

Thanks,

Marc

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2006, 01:57:12 pm »
 A good screw gun is important.

I did it without one and boy were my wrist sore, and it took me an hour longer.  Sore wrists get you no sympathy and nothing but crude jokes. ;)
« Last Edit: June 16, 2006, 03:43:34 pm by wmccall »
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2006, 01:58:05 pm »
You guys convinced me.  I will let the dealer install and shell out a few more clams!  I like the Covermate I because only half the folded cover is above the spa.  The Covermate III looks like most if not all the folded cover is above the spa.  In my case I like the lower profile.  Problem is the III looks better made and has the gas shocks.  I is a $100 cheaper than III btw.

My tub will either be a Caldera:  Moorea (7' X 7'7") or Niagara (7'5" X 7'5").  Would either of these sizes be appropriate for the Covermate I or should I go for the seemingly more hardy Covermate III?

Thanks,

Marc

I very much like the CM-III. While I think the CM-I is a good basic lift, I question how good it is on larger spas (like you're spoeaking of). I think it's definitely worth the extra $100 for teh CM-III and it's a one time buy (hopefully). However, the CM-III definitely sits higher so it's up to you, some like the higher look thta creates blackage while others don't.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2006, 02:13:40 pm »
I'm surprised no one's even mentioned, if have not formally ordered the new spa yet, why not get the dealer to knock $70 off the cover lifter AND install it? (GAWD, I can't believe I'm talking you out of buying from me :-)  )

Seriously, the dealers making $ off you for the spa, and even at $70 off the cover lifter he's still making $ there. Wheel and deal!
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2006, 02:25:51 pm »
, but they just said "here you go!" and handed me the box. When I asked a few qestions about installing, he said he had no idea, he just knew how to move tubs.

Thats better than what my delivery guy did, he pretended he knew how to put it on, did it badly and drilled a hole in the cover. (contracted delivery)

anne

Re: Question regarding self-install of cover lift
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2006, 02:31:15 pm »
If I had it to do over again, I'd pay $100 more for a CM III. I'm going to use what I have for a while, but next year or sometime I may upgrade. My dealer presented the CMIII as more of a luxury trinket than something to ease everyday use of the spa, and at the time I was thinking "simpler is better, and a pneumatic mechanism can only break."

anne

« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2006, 02:33:23 pm »

Thats better than what my delivery guy did, he pretended he knew how to put it on, did it badly and drilled a hole in the cover. (contracted delivery)

That stinks! Yeah, I'd rather have someone admit ignorance than plow ahead and damage a new toy.

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2006, 02:33:41 pm »

I did it without one and boy were my wrist sore, and it took me an hour longer.  Sore wrists get you know sympathy and nothing but crude jokes. ;)

May the fruit of your looms give you a Dewalt cordless driver this Father's day.   ;D
07 Caldera Geneva

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2006, 03:31:17 pm »
You guys convinced me.  I will let the dealer install and shell out a few more clams!  I like the Covermate I because only half the folded cover is above the spa.  The Covermate III looks like most if not all the folded cover is above the spa. Marc

If you look at the covermate manual, it says don't use in stronger than a 10 mph wind. As the cover gets older and heavier thats a lot of weight with a  high center of gravity. My wife liked that for privacy, but has gotten use to the lower CMII with the under the tub mount

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2006, 03:31:17 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42