What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Rope Lights on a Spa Shell  (Read 6434 times)

Anoroc

Rope Lights on a Spa Shell
« on: June 16, 2006, 01:34:26 pm »
Has anyone on this forum ever mounted rope lights to the exterior shell of their hot tub?

I was wondering how this looked and if it is safe to do so.  

Any other lighting ideas for a hot tub exterior?

Hot Tub Forum

Rope Lights on a Spa Shell
« on: June 16, 2006, 01:34:26 pm »

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
Re: Rope Lights on a Spa Shell
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2006, 01:39:33 pm »
I think Anne, placed a lanscaping light under her steps. I thought that was clever.  :D

Rope lights? I'd tape it in place and see what it looks like at night, before doing anything permenant.

/once was going to do rope lights under my pool lip.

07 Caldera Geneva

tmknies1

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2006, 01:41:17 pm »
Ditto what Drewstar said. Anne's picture with the lights looks beautiful.

anne

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2006, 02:21:19 pm »
Thanks, guys!

I have rope lights in my screen room, and I think they'd be too bright to have around the tub. I think its nice to have just enough light to not fall on my face on the rocks or steps, but then not to notice the lights once soaking.

The lights I have are listed for indoor/outdoor use, but I dont know how comfortable I'd be having them directly by the tub. The instructions said not to use "in the vicinity of standing water"
Dance like nobody's watching

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2006, 02:24:14 pm »
For a bigger view, do a right mouse click on Annes profile  pic  and select "view"

07 Caldera Geneva

Anoroc

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2006, 02:54:13 pm »

I saved your pic to my computer and looked at it while enlarged.  Wow, what a nice set up.

I too was concerned that the rope lights may not be safe if mounted on the spa.  Althought it is intended for outdoor use.

I was looking for ways to make things a bit more appealing around the spa.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2006, 02:55:22 pm by anaroc »

anne

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2006, 04:25:55 pm »
yeah, the label specifically warns against it. That, with how bright they are, would lead me to look other ways.

My lights are solar, pretty inexpensive at home depot, and I keep moving them around for different effects. In my front yard I put in low voltage lights, but that was because I wanted more light, and was willing to go through the hassle of underground wiring. I like that the solar ones are fairly dim, even though they are advertised as "brighter than regular solar!!"

What about using rope lights somehow along the edge of the patio, or somehow amongst plants to give some light, but keep it away from the water, and filter the brightness a bit?
Dance like nobody's watching

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2006, 04:35:00 pm »
DO NOT USE rope lights on a spa. I believe they run off of 120 Volts, especially if their not on a GFCI. I have heard that even if it's on a different GFCI, there could be a problem. Water and electricity don't mix.

Most electrical inspectors require anything that's electrical or metal to be further than 5 feet or else bonded to the tub.

Anne is using low voltage lights which run off of 12 Volts. It may not be 100% legal but some low voltage transformers can be used for underwater use (ponds) not a pools (big warning).

They do have a lot of low voltage lights these days ... if you need internet info, PM me and I'll send you what I have. One thing to consider is soaking in the dark is pretty awesome IMO. I now have deck lights that ruin it. They are only 18W each bulb (x4) but it sure is bright now!

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2006, 04:35:49 pm »
I have one thought about the rope lights...My husband put them on our deck one Christmas...they use these little mounting clips that screw into the deck to hold the rope in place...I have spent the last several days painting our decks....those little clips were still there....needless to say, they have been a royal PIA. I can't imagine screwing them into the tub base...
Anne's lights look fantastic and being solar, they save electric...that's what I want to hear! ;D
Support your dealer so they can support you!

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2006, 04:38:24 pm »
DO NOT USE rope lights on a spa. I believe they run off of 120 Volts, especially if their not on a GFCI. I have heard that even if it's on a different GFCI, there could be a problem. Water and electricity don't mix.

Most electrical inspectors require anything that's electrical or metal to be further than 5 feet or else bonded to the tub.

Anne is using low voltage lights which run off of 12 Volts. It may not be 100% legal but some low voltage transformers can be used for underwater use (ponds) not a pools (big warning).

They do have a lot of low voltage lights these days ... if you need internet info, PM me and I'll send you what I have. One thing to consider is soaking in the dark is pretty awesome IMO. I now have deck lights that ruin it. They are only 18W each bulb (x4) but it sure is bright now!

What I said about anne's lights now that I know their solar (sorry I didn't read) is wrong - that's 100% legal - electric ones are not.

Anoroc

« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2006, 06:07:59 pm »
Hey Vinny, the rope lights come in 12 volts as well.

I have low voltage accent lights nearby that do make things look nice I was just thinking of something on the spa itself.

This is not that important though it was just a thought.

Thanks for the input.

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2006, 07:16:36 pm »
Anoroc,

I'm sorry to have been that "forceful" in my post but I am a biomedical tech and repair medical equipment. I am all too aware at what can happen to a human body IF something were to happen.

SAFETY is my primary concern. I know there are mechanical or electronic devices that may protect you from shock but they can fail. I would hate to think that I didn't use my knowledge to protect someone.

Spa water is made up of a lot of chems so it can become quite coducting to electricity. A person's dry body has Mega Ohms of resistance where a properly wetted body has very little resistance. At very low amperage (I think it's at 10 milli amps - it's been a long time since I have given a safety lecture) at 60 Hz the body starts becoming electrocuted where the heart starts not beating correctly.

I want to make sure people live a very long time to enjoy their tubs! :D

Cola

• Time for bed kids
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2006, 10:47:23 pm »
I found LED rope lighting.  It is a bout 5 times brighter and cost about 5% the cost to run them.  I installed them under  my steps and they glow underneath like those cars with the flourescent lights under them.  Looks cool on the tub.
Steve

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2006, 10:47:23 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42