What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: filter storage/cleaning  (Read 2844 times)

anne

filter storage/cleaning
« on: June 12, 2006, 06:43:44 pm »
OK, so I had my first filter switch- new one in tub, "old" one in filter cleaner overnight, then hosed the heck out of it. The sudsiness went away really fast- I think I hosed it with a high pressure hose for about 10 minutes. Is that enough? (Everyone says do it more than you think, but I saw no sign of suds/bubbles after the first 2 minutes.)

Also, then how do you store it until it is needed in a month or so? I was planning to get it nice and dry in the sun, then store it is something clean- not airtight, but dust proof. Is that a good idea, or what would you do?

And lastly, anything special to do when I use it again? I read somewhere that the filter should be soaked  (in water)  again before put in, as it tightens the fibers or something.....? I think Boni said she cleans hers with a mild bleach solution before reusing.......is that true and a good idea?

thanks!
Dance like nobody's watching

Hot Tub Forum

filter storage/cleaning
« on: June 12, 2006, 06:43:44 pm »

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
Re: filter storage/cleaning
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2006, 07:04:32 pm »
OK, so I had my first filter switch- new one in tub, "old" one in filter cleaner overnight, then hosed the heck out of it. The sudsiness went away really fast- I think I hosed it with a high pressure hose for about 10 minutes. Is that enough? (Everyone says do it more than you think, but I saw no sign of suds/bubbles after the first 2 minutes.)

Also, then how do you store it until it is needed in a month or so? I was planning to get it nice and dry in the sun, then store it is something clean- not airtight, but dust proof. Is that a good idea, or what would you do?

And lastly, anything special to do when I use it again? I read somewhere that the filter should be soaked  (in water)  again before put in, as it tightens the fibers or something.....? I think Boni said she cleans hers with a mild bleach solution before reusing.......is that true and a good idea?

thanks!

1) When you've decided that you've probably thoroughly rinsed the filter, rinse it some more because you probably haven't.

2) Let it dry REALLY good and then put it away in a container. You do not want to put it away in the garage when it's damp; it can get ugly.

3) I haven't heard the old "fiber contraction" theory. I wouldn't bother doing anything other than taking out of teh container and putting it in the spa.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

hottub.pool_boy

• New England's oldest HotSpring Dealer- 1983
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2006, 08:09:17 pm »
ditto to spatech. good info.
OEM HotSpring Stuff & SpaGuard Chemicals Online

anne

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2006, 01:47:55 am »
thanks!
Dance like nobody's watching

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2006, 08:31:58 am »
Anne

I've been doing essentially what you've said for over 3 years, swapping out 2 filters.  
They get soaked overnite in cleaner and rinsed well.
Then I put them to drip in the utility sink in the basement for a few days to dry.  
Then I just store with a plastic grocery bag loosely covering, just to keep the dust off.  
Then I just install.  I don't bother to pre soak in bleach or anything.  I figure there's no point if the filter isn't musty smelling or moldy.  And they never are.
Both filters are still in fine condition, but I will probably replace them soon, just in case.

Brewman

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2006, 10:46:26 am »
Anne, I think it was Cola that said something about the fibers contracting but I think he said that was when they dried.   The only thing that I do differently is I soak and rinse my filters in very hot water...and like spatech said rinse again after you think you rinsed enough. I make sure they dry very well either in the sun or by the fire in the winter. I store them open in a closet on an open rack (no plastic bag). I do rinse them in a bucket of bromine before I put them back into the spa. I just figure that I can minimize any bioburden on the filters incase they didn't dry fast enough and some critters started growing....that is just my thing and no one told me to do that. It also gives me a chance to see if I didn't rinse well enough before they were dried for storage.
Support your dealer so they can support you!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2006, 10:46:26 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42