What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: cloudy water  (Read 5641 times)

anne

cloudy water
« on: June 09, 2006, 08:17:15 pm »
In general, how long does it take for cloudy water to get cleared up? I realize that it depends on the reason for clouding, but I dont know why mine is cloudy.

Was gorgeous for the last many weeks. My last use was 1 1/2 days ago, chlorinated then, and went out this morning to find it a bit cloudy. Bleh. I soaked, added 2 tsp chlorine (double my normal post-soak dose) let it run for a bit, then an hour later shocked with MPS, let it run for a bit. I checked my filter to make sure there was no problem there- it seems fine.

Now the water is a little less cloudy- but still cloudy. Do I wait a full day or two before trying something else, or since it is still a bit cloudy, can I already say that my efforts today did not work? And if shocking and sanitizing do not work, do I try clarifier next, or something else?

thanks,

A
Dance like nobody's watching

Hot Tub Forum

cloudy water
« on: June 09, 2006, 08:17:15 pm »

Brookenstein

Re: cloudy water
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2006, 08:29:39 pm »
I'm no expert, but I'd give it a day.

hottub.pool_boy

• New England's oldest HotSpring Dealer- 1983
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2006, 08:53:00 pm »
I would venture a guess that it will clear. The more it's filtering the quicker it will clear. Assume you had a good chlorine level either after your treatment or now. Clarifier may speed the process.
OEM HotSpring Stuff & SpaGuard Chemicals Online

TN__HOT_TUB

• Owner of  an Artesian Island Grand Cayman
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2006, 08:53:02 pm »
I'm no expert....that's why i have just learned to live with it.

I too seem to find my water getting cloudy...especially when I run my jets.  It's not milky,  but it is a bit cloudy.

I guess I'll shock it and shock it again.
Artesian Island Grand Cayman

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2006, 09:13:11 pm »
Hit it with extra dichlor run the jets and then MPS.

I am assuming that the problem is strickly from bio load and not from calcium or another reason other than bio load.

Also, run whatever pump has a filter attached to it to get some extra filtering ... and last but not least use Sea Klear clarifier, it works wonders!

DPS

• The light was yellow, sir
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2006, 09:41:49 pm »
Assuming that your filtration system if fine, shock it again, and if that doesn't clear it up, go to clarifier.  The problem may be small particles in the water that your system is having difficulty removing.  Make-up can be a common cause of this.  Add clarifier and turn all jets on, neck jets or water features as well.  You want to make it foam up as much as possible.  Use your hand skimmer to remove the foam and, along with it, the particles of make-up  - or whatever.

anne

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2006, 09:53:28 pm »
Hit it with extra dichlor run the jets and then MPS.

That is what I have done so far.

I am assuming that the problem is strickly from bio load and not from calcium or another reason other than bio load.

Me too.

I'll give it overnight, if needed shock again in the morning as DPS suggests, then pull out the Bright and Clear. I wear very little makeup most of the time, so I dont think that is it. It makes me sad not to have crystal clear water

:'(

Drewski

• Artesian Piper Glen since 1999 in Beachtown, USA
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2006, 01:39:13 am »
How "old" is the water, Anne?
It's a HOT tub... anything else is just a POOL!

anne

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2006, 09:00:39 pm »
The water is only one month old, and it is not my first month. I know I said I'd wait on this, but last night I put in 1 oz clarifier, ran all the jets/bubbler/etc - scum formed which I skimmed off for about 20 min, and then left the filter to do the rest. I also added 3 tsp chlorine, ran everything for another 20 min, then let it sit overnight. I meant to go out this morning and check it, but got busy all day. With some trepidation, I went out just now- crystal clear again. My filter has been in there a month- it looks only slightly off white, but with my clarifier use, i thought I should clean it anyway. So it is soaking, "spare" filter is in, and I'll be tubbin' soon. Thanks, all, for your help. I have won my first cloudy water battle!  :D

KarlXII

• Me before the spa
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2006, 10:10:58 am »
The water is only one month old, and it is not my first month. I know I said I'd wait on this, but last night I put in 1 oz clarifier, ran all the jets/bubbler/etc - scum formed which I skimmed off for about 20 min, and then left the filter to do the rest. I also added 3 tsp chlorine, ran everything for another 20 min, then let it sit overnight. I meant to go out this morning and check it, but got busy all day. With some trepidation, I went out just now- crystal clear again. My filter has been in there a month- it looks only slightly off white, but with my clarifier use, i thought I should clean it anyway. So it is soaking, "spare" filter is in, and I'll be tubbin' soon. Thanks, all, for your help. I have won my first cloudy water battle!  :D

Anne,

Funny. Exactly the same thing happened to me a few days ago. I went through the same procedures as you to fix it. :)
I think my water became cloudy because of me not using enough daily dichlor. I have now increased the dosage. Let's see if it works.  :)

anne

« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2006, 12:00:31 pm »

I think my water became cloudy because of me not using enough daily dichlor. I have now increased the dosage. Let's see if it works.  :)

Me too. For the last couple of soaks before the clouding, my boyfriend joined me, which used to be a rarity. I am in the habit of adding 1 tsp after soaking, so I added a "heaping tsp" for the two of us those times. Perhaps not enough. I'm going to go with the 1 tsp PER person rule for now. I got away with less in the past, but not on consecutive soaks, i guess. Hope someone learns from my error!  

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2006, 10:02:55 am »

Anne,

Funny. Exactly the same thing happened to me a few days ago. I went through the same procedures as you to fix it. :)

Huh. I had cloudy water the other day too.

I typically add a dose of clairifer ever other week but ran out a few weeks ago.  I just go some in from my dealer, and was able to add some on Saturday. After serious foam scopping it looked a lot better.   Sunday I shocked with MPS, and swapped in a clean filter and then water was perfect.

I wonder, here in the north east, there has been significant rain for the past several weeks and over the past few weeks have barely used my tub.  I wonder if that had anything to do with it?   I have gone away for a week and not used the tub and all was fine.....I wonder what happened?

07 Caldera Geneva

tmknies1

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2006, 10:17:42 am »
Maybe it's the boyfriend :)

Only joking.

anne

« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2006, 11:00:59 am »
Maybe it's the boyfriend :)

Only joking.

;D He's a little fanatic about cleanliness, so I wont tell him you said that. ;D

cappykat

« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2006, 12:15:36 pm »
I had the same problem about 2 weeks ago.  I hit it with a double dose of MPS and clarifier and ran the jets for about an hour.  The next day it was clear.
2005 Marquis Epic

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2006, 12:15:36 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42