What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Caldera Moorea and other stuff  (Read 7184 times)

96SC

Caldera Moorea and other stuff
« on: May 29, 2006, 01:40:20 pm »
I stopped by our Caldera dealer to look at spas (first time buyer), they showed us a Moorea.  I then stopped in here and did a search on the Moorea.  Our local place wanted $ 8195.00 for the spa, then $750 for a spa cover, lift, GFCI panel with breakers, delivery, chemicals and steps.   My search on the Moorea had prices ranging from $6995 to $7500 which I am sure did not include all the extras.  What does everyone think? I realize there are regional differences but this seems a bit of a stretch.

I was also told you need to change the water every 4 months to get rid of bacteria (I have never seen mentioned in here).  I asked about ozonaters to kill bacteria, I was told even with ozone you still change every 4 months.  So is ozone necessary?

Then the subject of wet test came up, we were offered to take our shoes off and step into and sit in the Moorea since, 'you will get the same feeling whether there is water in it or not'.  Opinions?

Before I speak, I have something important to say--Groucho Marx

Hot Tub Forum

Caldera Moorea and other stuff
« on: May 29, 2006, 01:40:20 pm »

sandiego

• Caldera Spa Dealer for 30 years
Re: Caldera Moorea and other stuff
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2006, 01:54:10 pm »
definately need to change your water every 4 months.

ozone is good to have, it makes it much easier to take care of your water and you use less chemicals by havinga an ozonator.

tmknies1

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2006, 01:58:41 pm »
I was recently quoted $7000.00 for the Moorea cover, coverlifter, steps and some supplies. The dealer may be pulling your chain because all the Caldera models include the GFCI with breakers, it's listed in their brochure.

It does make a difference wet test vs. dry. I am new to this board also, first tub too. One thing I learned from this board is do research and find a dealer you like/trust.

We bought the Geneva which is not due in for another two weeks. The dealer told us to expect to drain the tub twice a year, never mentioned every four months.

Good luck.

anne

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2006, 02:26:09 pm »
Then the subject of wet test came up, we were offered to take our shoes off and step into and sit in the Moorea since, 'you will get the same feeling whether there is water in it or not'.  Opinions?

opinion: Bullcr@p? I think any dealer telling you not to bother to wet test is just out for a quick sale, and is not really helping you AT ALL. What if you asked to schedule a wet test?

As I understand it, water changes ever 3-6 month are not really needed to clear bacteria- you should be doing that daily with sanitizer. You dont have 4 months worth of bacteria to clear out at a water change, you have 4 months worth of extra "stuff" added to the water over 4 months that eventually makes the water hard to balance and not nice and fresh. You'll see posts form people here who go 6 weeks to 6 months between draining.

I was quote about $6700-6900 for a Moorea with delivery, steps, etc....That was early 2006. As tmknies said, the GFCI is always included. Dont know how much regional differences account for that, but I'd be wary of someone making it sound like the GFCI is "extra" and then not being clear of the benefit of a wet test.

Dance like nobody's watching

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2006, 02:26:50 pm »
I was also told you need to change the water every 4 months to get rid of bacteria (I have never seen mentioned in here).  I asked about ozonaters to kill bacteria, I was told even with ozone you still change every 4 months.  So is ozone necessary?
Ozone helps you keep your tub free of bacteria with far less chlorine. In fact, if you have the Monarch system which includes an ozonator and a Nature2 silver-ion cartridge, you can soak chlorine free by just adding MPS once a week and shocking with dichlor once a month. That dichlor is chlorine, but it goes away in a day or two so the rest of the time you are soaking chlorine free.

As far as needing to change the water "to get rid of bacteria," I think there was a breakdown in communication some how.

You use a sanitizer: ozone and silver ions, chlorine, bromine or whatever you choose to get rid of bacteria. That happens on a daily basis, or each time you use it, or constantly if you have an ozone system with a constant circulation pump.

The water changes three times a year - are to freshen things up, lower the TDS and other stuff which accumulates in the water and simply makes it harder to keep it looking sharp and clean.

Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2006, 02:35:51 pm »
I stopped by our Caldera dealer to look at spas (first time buyer), they showed us a Moorea.  I then stopped in here and did a search on the Moorea.  Our local place wanted $ 8195.00 for the spa, then $750 for a spa cover, lift, GFCI panel with breakers, delivery, chemicals and steps.   My search on the Moorea had prices ranging from $6995 to $7500 which I am sure did not include all the extras.  What does everyone think? I realize there are regional differences but this seems a bit of a stretch.

I have had many folks walk in and quote a price that they wanted me to match or beat. I told them I don't do verbal price matching because they are just thin air.

Get it in writing. For example, I have a strong feeling that the first quote you mentioned actually INCLUDED the items you metioned. But if you don't have it in writing, you may have simply not heard it right, or not gotten the right impression, etc. Same with the other prices you see here on the board: it is easy for some folks to round up and forget sales tax while others round down but include it - and fourteen other combinations.

If you can get two bids in writing - use the fax or email if you don't want to drive all over the world - put them side-by-side and check them carefully. Are they offering the same exact cover lift, of is one throwing in a cheapy?

Same type of step? Same type of ozone system (assuming the tub doesn't come with one, the value of this item can vary by hundreds of dollars).

So don't shop prices unless you see it all in writing, or you may end up with the same spa but way cheap add-ons.

Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

96SC

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2006, 04:47:29 pm »
Chas,

It's in writing.
Package price   $750.00
Spa Price $8195.00

This particular spa is 'Ozone ready'.

I thought something was 'goofy' with the GFCI panel as part of the package, as I saw it listed on the 'Caldera Moorea' dispaly card, too.

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2006, 05:24:06 pm »
II was also told you need to change the water every 4 months to get rid of bacteria (I have never seen mentioned in here).  I asked about ozonaters to kill bacteria, I was told even with ozone you still change every 4 months.  So is ozone necessary?

Some people who never excercise don't have heart attacks,  Is excercise neccesary?  (Mainly kidding) But changing water never hurts and eventually there are only so many solids you can add to water till it becomes mud.  Bacteria isn't the only reason to change water.

That may be the biggest line of bulldefication I have ever heard.  This sounds like the line of a lazy sales person.  While you may pick a great tub that you will love without wet testing, that line about getting the same feeling is just plain stupid. Please feel free to print this out and show it to them  ;D
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2006, 05:28:14 pm »

I think any dealer telling you not to bother to wet test is just out for a quick sale,

I think you are exactly right.  Well, at least this one. If someone wants to argue a wet test isn't absolutely required, I'll go along with that.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

96SC

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2006, 09:36:35 pm »
There's a pretty good chance my shadow won't be crossing their doorway again.

I think you folks are right about a quick sale.  The salesperson kept saying something about 90 days (or some other length of time) same as cash that ends at the end of this month.  When they wrote out the quote we (dw and I) were told it was to 'lock in' the price, but from the quotes others have gotten the 'honor' being locked in has evaporated.

What is unfortunate is that my dw really really really like the spa (even though we are months away from buying) now we'll have to find another dealer.  

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2006, 09:50:06 pm »
that ends at the end of this month. .  

What sales people frequently don't tell you about things that end is they are usually replaced by something else. I

errin

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2006, 11:14:28 pm »
Hi,  I actually own the new Moorea model. Bought mine end of April  First one in Oregon.. Love the spa. looked at upper models and love this one.. paid 7100 with cover and start up chems and delivery and oz. sale price on it was 7995.00 so feel like got what I wanted.. really love the seating on this one and nice to step in on actual seat not lounger..  no complaints here just one happy customer... and yes you have to change water and santize with oz too... better do your homework on keeping the water clean.... should drain tub after first month what a big difference as well.. happy shopping

96SC

« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2006, 09:41:18 am »
What sales people frequently don't tell you about things that end is they are usually replaced by something else

They told us the 12 months same as cash ended on the 29th but something else would kick in for the next 3 months.  I don't remember what it was, and actually don't care what THEY may have.  We found another Caldera dealer about 50 miles away, we'll see them.

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2006, 10:36:21 am »
I have an ozone system and really like it.   I use it in conjuction with dichlor and my water clarity is good. I get 3 - 4 months out of the tub before changing.  (you can longer or less depending though on how often you use it).

Ozone is not a necessity, but I belive an option well worth it. I wouldn't go back to a non ozone tub.  

Dipping your toes in the water is useless.  A wet test is the best way to see if a tub fits you.  You want to test out the size of the seats and how comforatble they are, you want to see the depth of the water (too deep, too shallow). Leg room, and experiece the feel of the jets. Thier power, thier placement.  

Toes in the water?  that's silly.
07 Caldera Geneva

96SC

« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2006, 10:36:43 am »
Something else we were told at the dealership that had me wondering and now curious as to the truth.  While we were talking about ozone and ozonaters, we were given the impression that having ozone in the tub was more of a 'crap shoot' as to whether it was actually working.  The salesperson told us that if it goes out how would you know.  If it did, all of the benefits of bacteria destruction would not be happening.  Is there a way to tell if the ozonator is working?  I am completely ignorant on ozone and ozonators, someone help.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2006, 10:36:43 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42