What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: CD Ozonators  (Read 6114 times)

twok99

CD Ozonators
« on: June 09, 2006, 11:26:21 pm »
How long do CD ozonators last?  How do you know if they are still producing ozone?

Hot Tub Forum

CD Ozonators
« on: June 09, 2006, 11:26:21 pm »

dsegel

• Carpe Diem!
Re: CD Ozonators
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2006, 09:16:24 am »
twok99,

I just read on the www.rhtubs.com site that ozonators last about 5 years.  I can't remember what it said about how you can tell but it's a simple matter to change the light bulb.  Go to that site to find all the info.
'06 Majesta

Wisoki

• YEEEEEEhaw
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2006, 10:56:11 am »
CD ozone units don't have light bulbs. UV ozone units do. A UV bulb will probably never make it 5 years. Maybe 2 and in this young industry are considered ancient. CD (corona discharge) where ozone is produced by an electrical charge controled by a chip, some say will last for 5 years. Most say it will not last that long, however replacing the chip is easier than replacing the UV bulb ever was. How to tell if it's working.....here we go again.....take a quarter, make a fist and place the quarter on your thumb, fling the quarter in the air, the odds you will ever know your ozone unit is working are less than the odds the quarter will land on heads or tails.

twok99,

I just read on the www.rhtubs.com site that ozonators last about 5 years.  I can't remember what it said about how you can tell but it's a simple matter to change the light bulb.  Go to that site to find all the info.

If you like it and you want it BUY IT!

Mendocino101

• Ultimate Member
  • never ask for what you are not willing to give
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2006, 02:41:41 pm »

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2006, 03:06:25 pm »
CD units with chips have about 9000 hours of life expectancy. If you run the thing around the clock, that is about 14 months.

If you have a unit like the HS 'Freshwater III' or similar, you should be able to get five years without touching the thing.

Can you tell us the brand of ozone unit you have?
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

twok99

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2006, 10:20:43 pm »
I have a Juacuzzi Premium tub.  The ozonator is labeled Jacuzzi Premium (it is royal blue in color) but I think it is made by Sunzone.

Tubaholic

• HS Grandee Indoors
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2006, 12:12:37 am »
Chas: My 04 grandee has a freshwater II I think.. Whats the diff between the II & III and will it last  for 5 years also? I have cleaned it a few times per the manual when the bubbles decrease.... Plus how can you be certain its working properly ?

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2006, 08:53:02 am »
CD ozone units don't have light bulbs. UV ozone units do. A UV bulb will probably never make it 5 years. Maybe 2 and in this young industry are considered ancient. CD (corona discharge) where ozone is produced by an electrical charge controled by a chip, some say will last for 5 years. Most say it will not last that long, however replacing the chip is easier than replacing the UV bulb ever was. How to tell if it's working.....here we go again.....take a quarter, make a fist and place the quarter on your thumb, fling the quarter in the air, the odds you will ever know your ozone unit is working are less than the odds the quarter will land on heads or tails.

I could tell within a day that my CD ozinator was off.  Water quality dropped significantly.

I wouldn't  by a tub without one.
07 Caldera Geneva

Wisoki

• YEEEEEEhaw
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2006, 10:16:22 am »
Actualy The Jacuzzi pro clear system and the Sundance Sunzone system are both made by a company called Delzone. You pay extra for having the branded name on it.

I have a Juacuzzi Premium tub.  The ozonator is labeled Jacuzzi Premium (it is royal blue in color) but I think it is made by Sunzone.

Wisoki

• YEEEEEEhaw
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2006, 10:19:23 am »
Congratulations to your sales person, they did a great job. It surprises me however, that your water quality will go south in one day, must be a testamonial to the quality of Hot Springs no by pass filtration. I can ignore my spa, with out an ozonator for 4 or 5 days and come beck to crystal clear water. Very interesting.

I could tell within a day that my CD ozinator was off.  Water quality dropped significantly.

I wouldn't  by a tub without one.

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2006, 10:25:03 am »
Congratulations to your sales person, they did a great job. It surprises me however, that your water quality will go south in one day, must be a testamonial to the quality of Hot Springs no by pass filtration. I can ignore my spa, with out an ozonator for 4 or 5 days and come beck to crystal clear water. Very interesting.

I don't have "no  by pass filtration."  Why woud you assume that?

The ozinator  was shut off when I was on vacation, perhaps not a day. Mayb afew more.   I figured 24 hrs from talking with my house sitter.  The point was , yup, without a sanitizer in the water (dichlor or   ozone, the water suffered. ).

But, wait...according to you, if ozone does nothing, then I should have not seen a difference.

An Ozonator is not needed to keep perfect water. Proper filtration and sanitation and balance water is needed. Ozone is a sanitizer and aids in the tub being kept clean. Can you do it without an ozinator? Absolutey. However, I prefer it to a system that doesn't have it.  My sytem of sanitation depends on the ozinator, and without it, it wasn't as clean.   You claim they do nothing,  or marginal at best,  I'm here to tell you that's not the case.

I don't understand though Wisoki, why you seem to be on a mission to doscredit Ozonators.  I get it, you don't like em and think they are a rip off.

I like mine. It does work.  

Have a nice day.  :)

(tell me do you use N2)?

;D
« Last Edit: June 12, 2006, 10:46:21 am by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2006, 10:25:03 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42