What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Patio pavers/gravel/pictures?  (Read 12667 times)

kervis

• runnergirl
Patio pavers/gravel/pictures?
« on: June 07, 2006, 07:30:42 am »
My husband will be building a PAVER patio for our hot tub.  It's measured out in the yard now!  :) I know that somewhere in these 305 forum pages, people have posted pictures and info about how and why they used what they did to make their patios for their tubs. I don't want to spend the time to go through all those pages.  Does anyone happen to know any threads on this,  or has posted something themself?  He has already built a beautiful cobblestone patio for our entrance/exit/eating area,  and now will use matching 16"x16" blocks for the hot tub and fire pit areas.  I would just like him to have some visuals to look at, if possible.  Thanks!
2005 HS Vanguard

Hot Tub Forum

Patio pavers/gravel/pictures?
« on: June 07, 2006, 07:30:42 am »

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
Re: Patio pavers/gravel/pictures?
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2006, 08:06:19 am »
Try the search function- you should be able to narrow things down quite a bit.

Brewman

im45us

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2006, 08:41:23 am »
I don't have any pictures to give but for my patio I put 2" thick blocks for the patio and 4"thick under the tub so if it settles with all the weight water will have no place to settle at the base of the tub and should help in keeping the rot away.
Good luck
Ivan

kervis

• runnergirl
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2006, 08:48:43 am »
Try the search function- you should be able to narrow things down quite a bit.

Thanks--  I had not noticed it before.  I'll try it and see what happens!  
2005 HS Vanguard

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2006, 09:12:36 am »
Kervis, with the search function, pay attention to the date range functions. This is an annoying  err, interesting feature  ::)  that  unless you change it only searches back a few days.

I'd love to see pics of your set up.  Eventually, I would like to re-do my deck and patio area, and pavers with a  fire pit is something I'd like to do.  Cobblestones....sounds nice.

Good luck, :D
« Last Edit: June 07, 2006, 09:13:27 am by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

TN__HOT_TUB

• Owner of  an Artesian Island Grand Cayman
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2006, 01:42:59 pm »
My husband will be building a PAVER patio for our hot tub.  It's measured out in the yard now!  :) I know that somewhere in these 305 forum pages, people have posted pictures and info about how and why they used what they did to make their patios for their tubs. I don't want to spend the time to go through all those pages.  Does anyone happen to know any threads on this,  or has posted something themself?  He has already built a beautiful cobblestone patio for our entrance/exit/eating area,  and now will use matching 16"x16" blocks for the hot tub and fire pit areas.  I would just like him to have some visuals to look at, if possible.  Thanks!

Yes.  I posted some photos a couple months ago and last week.   We used the 1ft x 1ft patio pavers on a bed of gravel and sand.  Solid as a rock and a bit less expensive than pouring concrete.

http://www.whatsthebest-hottub.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=wtb-hottub;action=display;num=1145195169;start=0
Artesian Island Grand Cayman

kervis

• runnergirl
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2006, 02:29:31 pm »
Thank you, thank you!  I had seen yours and Anne's as well but have been unable to find them using that search engine.  I shall keep plugging away.  Your patio looks great.
2005 HS Vanguard

TN__HOT_TUB

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2006, 05:28:17 pm »
Thank you, thank you!  I had seen yours and Anne's as well but have been unable to find them using that search engine.  I shall keep plugging away.  Your patio looks great.

Thanks
It was a fair amount of hard work, but we felt accomplished and proud.  It's not difficult, but it can be taxing and tiring at times.

We used 2x6 PT wood to create our box form.  Dug out 6-8 inch of sod and shovelled in some gravel. Levelled the box form and filled it high enough so the pavers would be flush with the box form.  

For the PT box form I did use some of those metal corner fasteners (similar to metal joist hangers).  I also reinforced the sides of the box form by hammering in some 18 inch re-bar right next to them.  These steps are probably overkill, but I didn't want the weight of the tub to destroy my form by causing bowing or the corners to seperate.

My buddy who pours concrete said the pavers and box form should be just fine.

anne

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2006, 01:40:49 am »
For what it is worth, I put my tub directly on gravel, because I could. I wish in hind site that I had done pavers on top of travel as TN did, since I have loose gravel exposed that is awkward and can be messy. I had trouble deciding what size to make my "box" since i have a "wrap around" steps that I wanted level with the tub. That meant making the gravel box bigger than the squarefootage of the tub. In the future, I may move the tub and add pavers, but that requires a lot of man power.

If case you want a reminder of what this looked like:

http://www.whatsthebest-hottub.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=wtb-hottub;action=display;num=1145502643;start=
Dance like nobody's watching

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2006, 09:11:00 am »
I have pavers on a sand base. It works fine.

Orignally it was for a used tub that sat there for a year, and I made it slightly bigger for my caspain.  It has worked out well for me.  I'm hoping though that over the next few years, I'll be able to do some stamped concrete work, and put the tub on that.

For size, I would not make the base the same size as the tub or just slightly larger. I made my paver base about 1' larger around than the tub. I wish  made it more like 2.5' or bigger.  The grass around the tub takes a beating and it;s a pain to get the lawn tractor next to it.  

07 Caldera Geneva

TN__HOT_TUB

« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2006, 11:55:58 pm »
I have pavers on a sand base. It works fine.

Orignally it was for a used tub that sat there for a year, and I made it slightly bigger for my caspain.  It has worked out well for me.  I'm hoping though that over the next few years, I'll be able to do some stamped concrete work, and put the tub on that.

For size, I would not make the base the same size as the tub or just slightly larger. I made my paver base about 1' larger around than the tub. I wish  made it more like 2.5' or bigger.  The grass around the tub takes a beating and it;s a pain to get the lawn tractor next to it.  

regarding your problem with grass:   Roundup

I spray my fence, deck, house, etc. with Roundup...works great (be careful)

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2006, 09:14:46 am »

regarding your problem with grass:   Roundup

I spray my fence, deck, house, etc. with Roundup...works great (be careful)

I don't have a probelm with the grass commng through the pavers, butrather  the edge of the pavers and the lawn.  It's there that the grass is taking a beating. I should have made the pad a couple of feet wider to give ample room to walk around.   This is espcially true at the front of the spa  where I stand to do maintence.
07 Caldera Geneva

cappykat

« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2006, 10:00:29 am »
Pavers on a sand bottom.  The pavers under the hot-tub had a concrete/gravel combination for added support.

2005 Marquis Epic

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2006, 10:02:12 am »
cappy,

that's exactly what I want to do around my tub, pool and deck.  I really like that.  

Did you do it yourself or hire someone?

07 Caldera Geneva

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2006, 10:12:00 am »
 Man that is one nice lookin tub!  And the pavers are beautiful too!  All you need now is an off set umbrella ;)
(Like the one my hubby got me because he is too lazy to build a pergola!) >:(
Support your dealer so they can support you!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2006, 10:12:00 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42