What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: forgive my ignorance!  (Read 4202 times)

dsegel

• Carpe Diem!
forgive my ignorance!
« on: June 09, 2006, 11:53:59 am »
I'm still dealing with my high alk and went back and re-read answers to my previous post.

What, exactly, is MPS?  Is it a non-chlorine product or chlorine?

I am using a non-chlorine product (Diamond Spa Shock) after each use and have been told to shock with Sani-Chlor-X (which I was told is dichlor) once a week.  

I noticed some of you said you are using dichlor after each use.  My spa, however, uses a CD ozonator and SunPurity purifier.

BTW, how do I attach an image?  When I click the icon to attach an image, it inserts "URL".  The picture is on my hard drive ???

Thanks!
'06 Majesta

Hot Tub Forum

forgive my ignorance!
« on: June 09, 2006, 11:53:59 am »

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
Re: forgive my ignorance!
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2006, 12:06:10 pm »
Desegal,

MPS is  Monopersulfate. It is a non chlorine product. I use MPS as a weekly shock.  I  use Dichlor  after each use.   I also have an ozinator. I did try the minieral stick as well, but I did not see it doing anything.

Some folks here use the shock and dichlor as you say, which I don't understand. It's seems backwards to me.  But it's what thier dealers suggest and they claim to have good results.

???

To post an image, you need to have it hosted by a site like photobucket or imageshack. Once the pic is uploaded,  these free sites will give you a URL to paste between the img tags.

07 Caldera Geneva

tonyp

• Soaking in a HS Envoy!
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2006, 12:24:38 pm »
I'm still dealing with my high alk and went back and re-read answers to my previous post.

What, exactly, is MPS?  Is it a non-chlorine product or chlorine?

I am using a non-chlorine product (Diamond Spa Shock) after each use and have been told to shock with Sani-Chlor-X (which I was told is dichlor) once a week.  

I noticed some of you said you are using dichlor after each use.  My spa, however, uses a CD ozonator and SunPurity purifier.

BTW, how do I attach an image?  When I click the icon to attach an image, it inserts "URL".  The picture is on my hard drive ???

Thanks!

I use MPS before each use and dichlor weekly with excellent results.  As long as it works, why break it.

dsegel

• Carpe Diem!
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2006, 12:31:09 pm »
To post an image, you need to have it hosted by a site like photobucket or imageshack. Once the pic is uploaded,  these free sites will give you a URL to paste between the img tags.  

Cool!!!  Thanks!!!
'06 Majesta

Stemay

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2006, 02:13:45 pm »
I admit, I'm a little in the dark with MPS, dichlor, etc.  My dealer said put this and that in once a week.  That's all I know so far.  Does anybody else here just put stuff in once a week?  He said that if we have a bunch of people in, then we should shock after that.  

Daily use since Monday and so far, it is still crystal clear and we have added nothing since the start-up chemicals.  

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2006, 02:49:28 pm »
I admit, I'm a little in the dark with MPS, dichlor, etc.  My dealer said put this and that in once a week.  That's all I know so far.  Does anybody else here just put stuff in once a week?  He said that if we have a bunch of people in, then we should shock after that.  

Daily use since Monday and so far, it is still crystal clear and we have added nothing since the start-up chemicals.  

Stemay,

There are several methods for sanitizing and shocking the tub.

What chemicals did your dealer provide you with? Bromine, Dichlor? Do you have an ozinator?  Did he provide an orientation?
07 Caldera Geneva

watzup

• sipping suds
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2006, 03:03:57 pm »

Thanks!

You find a free storage area on the web and then post a link or "URL" to that site and your image

Bill_Stevenson

• Hot Spring Envoy
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2006, 03:04:14 pm »
For anyone just starting out, I strongly recommend that you at least read the Vermonter's water treatment recommendations.  They can be found on Doc's site at www.rhtub.com (or is it tubs?)

It is all well and good to listen to your dealer etc. but there are a whole lot of issues associated with water chemistry and the Vermonter is a professional water chemist.  I have not seen anything, or heard anything as thorough or as practical as his advice.  FWIW, I am a chemical engineer and feel qualified to recognize an expert in the field when I run into one.  The Vermonter is such a guy.

Regards,

Bill

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2006, 03:13:42 pm »
For anyone just starting out, I strongly recommend that you at least read the Vermonter's water treatment recommendations.  They can be found on Doc's site at www.rhtub.com (or is it tubs?)

It is all well and good to listen to your dealer etc. but there are a whole lot of issues associated with water chemistry and the Vermonter is a professional water chemist.  I have not seen anything, or heard anything as thorough or as practical as his advice.  FWIW, I am a chemical engineer and feel qualified to recognize an expert in the field when I run into one.  The Vermonter is such a guy.

Regards,

Bill

it's tubs.

http://www.rhtubs.com/

I looked to find the V's guide there but couldn't find it. (I saw it before, because I follow it and it works well for me).  Rhtubs has a good section too on chemicals and what they do. It's very well done.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2006, 03:14:10 pm by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

Stemay

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2006, 03:38:43 pm »
drewstar,
we do have an ozonator.  We don't use bromine.  He gave us Spa Essentials Spa Shock Xtra.  It says Sodium dichloro-s-traizinetrione (best i can make out even with my glasses on).  So, I"m guessing that's dichlor for short?

We received an orientation and the dealer basically said to add a cap of alkalinity increaser and a cap of shock once a week.....that's it!  Except if we are having heavy usage....then add some additional shock afterwards.  

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2006, 03:39:20 pm »
V's guide is in the message board FAQ here;

http://www.rhtubs.com/bbs/FAQ.htm

You may also want to read the chlorine info here : http://www.rhtubs.com/chlorine.htm

And the bromine info here : http://www.rhtubs.com/BROMINE.htm

one of thses days I gotta do a page on non-chlorine shock / MPS
« Last Edit: June 09, 2006, 03:41:53 pm by lets »
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

TrikkeAddict

• 2005 Sundance Cameo
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2006, 06:16:04 pm »
drewstar,
we do have an ozonator.  We don't use bromine.  He gave us Spa Essentials Spa Shock Xtra.  It says Sodium dichloro-s-traizinetrione (best i can make out even with my glasses on).  So, I"m guessing that's dichlor for short?

We received an orientation and the dealer basically said to add a cap of alkalinity increaser and a cap of shock once a week.....that's it!  Except if we are having heavy usage....then add some additional shock afterwards.  

YIKES!!!!  If you are only adding dichlor once a week then you are basically only sanitizing your tub once a week.  Why the need for alkalinity increaser once a week???  Are you testing your pH and TA???  Your dealer's advice doesn't sound good to me!!!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2006, 06:16:04 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42