What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Patio Slope and Spa  (Read 6338 times)

dazedandconfused

• Still Negotiating ....
Patio Slope and Spa
« on: July 15, 2004, 03:20:08 pm »
Wow!  I am almost at 100 posts!

The sd cameo is roughly 8 feet by 8 feet.  My paver patio has a 1.6% slope.  So, on the low end, the spa will be roughly 1.5 inches low.

Is this ok?  I hate to use shimmies as that concentrates all the weight of the spa on a few small points (versus the weight of the spa distributed across its supports).  This could cause paver failure or may cause the pavers with shimmies to settle more.

Any ideas?  Solutions?

Thanks!

Hot Tub Forum

Patio Slope and Spa
« on: July 15, 2004, 03:20:08 pm »

usuallytrue

• Sundance owner
Re: Patio Slope and Spa
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2004, 05:06:40 pm »
D & C -
I have a Sundance Altamar that is on a slate patio with a slope. (Actually an old concrete patio newly covered with slate.) Now I don't know the percentage of slope, but my dad (who was helping with the install) said it was too much and the water level would be uneven.  We were all set to do the shimmy thing. I just wanted to fill the darn thing up and get going - so I did. (much to my father's chagrin) I figured if the water level was that off I would drain it and do the shimmies then.

Well it turns out that my water level is only about 1/2 inch uneven.  It rides a little high on the lounger side (the end and the lowest point of the patio) but if I din't point it out no one would notice and no one certainly notices with the jets on. I will probably have to replace the lounger pillow sooner though.

Anyway - I lived on the edge and filled it first 'cause I couldn't see doing all that work if I didn't have to. Of course, I don't think I'd be as up-beat about it if I ended up having to drain, shimmy it and refill... ;)

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2004, 07:10:58 pm »
Would shimming the spa on one end to level it by the 1.5" put stress on the shell?  Just wondering......

Brewman
Brewman

UnderTheStars

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2004, 08:30:14 pm »
You should check the manuf. recommendation regarding is it ok to shim that much.  According to HS, their two largest tubs should not be shimmed at all - flat/level/solid surface only.

Makes sense to me that the answer (is shimming this much ok) would depend on dimension of tub, thickness of shell, flex/rigidity of frame, etc.  In other words, might work for one model but cause damage to another.  Just a guess but I'd say better do some research and proceed with caution.

Four_Red_Cheeks

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2006, 11:55:43 am »
My tub is about an inch lower on one end than the other. But my dealer said the tub had to be flat, not shimed or the warranty would be voided because the frame/shell would be under duress.

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2006, 01:40:45 pm »
Dredging up this old stuff, eh?

Wonder if our pal dazed is still working on that deal?
Still has his offer on the table?

Or was this one of the others?

Brewman

Four_Red_Cheeks

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2006, 03:05:21 pm »
It is very important information that needs shared.

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2006, 04:40:10 pm »
Dredging up this old stuff, eh?

Wonder if our pal dazed is still working on that deal?
Still has his offer on the table?

Or was this one of the others?

That is what I thought of too, and our old pal Under the stars was in this thread too.  Was disapointed to see it was a rehash
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2006, 04:40:10 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42