What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Thoughts on HDPE or Fortiflex Tub Shell  (Read 4066 times)

NittanyLion

• Fight on State...Roar Lions Roar!
Thoughts on HDPE or Fortiflex Tub Shell
« on: June 08, 2006, 09:09:01 am »
We bought a Viking Legacy 2 and are awaiting delivery.  As I read through this forum that I found after purchasing I noticed that I can't find any talk about high density polyethylene (HDPE) shells in the search.  The Viking we bought has an HDPE shell they call "Fortiflex" which they warrant for life.  Although, I note in the warranty small print that it is warranted against water loss, and in other small print shipping is excluded (so in theory if it turns purple and blisters with 3" high bubbles they won't fix it, and if they do I'll have to pay shipping to send it to them to fix it).  Does anyone have any experience with HDPE as a shell material, it seems most shells are acrylic.  As a sidenote though, I've seen alot of HPDE used in sanitary sewers and it seems to hold up without degradation or staining even in that harsh environment.

Hot Tub Forum

Thoughts on HDPE or Fortiflex Tub Shell
« on: June 08, 2006, 09:09:01 am »

Anoroc

Re: Thoughts on HDPE or Fortiflex Tub Shell
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2006, 12:09:23 pm »
Does anyone have an answer to this question?  If no one gets back to you I may have to make something up. :)
« Last Edit: June 08, 2006, 12:09:34 pm by anaroc »

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2006, 04:30:13 pm »
We bought a Viking Legacy 2 and are awaiting delivery.  As I read through this forum that I found after purchasing I noticed that I can't find any talk about high density polyethylene (HDPE) shells in the search.  The Viking we bought has an HDPE shell they call "Fortiflex" which they warrant for life.  Although, I note in the warranty small print that it is warranted against water loss, and in other small print shipping is excluded (so in theory if it turns purple and blisters with 3" high bubbles they won't fix it, and if they do I'll have to pay shipping to send it to them to fix it).  Does anyone have any experience with HDPE as a shell material, it seems most shells are acrylic.  As a sidenote though, I've seen alot of HPDE used in sanitary sewers and it seems to hold up without degradation or staining even in that harsh environment.

I am not familiar with HDPE as a shell material, but I am familiar with it as a pipe material.  As a plastic, it has many good qualities.  What would concern me is its reaction to sunlight.  HDPE pipe's number one enemy is the sun.  Maybe they have neutralized the effect for hot tub shells.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2006, 04:30:13 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42