What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Can't get ph / Alk down  (Read 7714 times)

dsegel

• Carpe Diem!
Can't get ph / Alk down
« on: June 07, 2006, 02:20:58 pm »
Hi all,

Got the new tub and used it for the first time on Saturday.  They are having trouble dragging me out!!!  :D

It is a Sundance Majesta (375 gallons) with CD ozonator using a SunPurity purifier.  When we first filled the tub, a water test was right on target for everything.  Started up with 1 Tbl. Sani-Chlor X and an 8 oz bottle of metal control (we have well water).  Have put in a teaspoon of Diamond Spa Shock after each use which has been once a day since Saturday.  Tested the water Sunday and ph and alkalinity was way up there--8.4 pH and between the 180 and 240 colors for total alkalinity.  Since then I have put a total of 16 ounces of pH control down in my tub (some each day).  It is down some but not ideal.  I'd say about 8.0 pH and about 180 alkalinity.  

Should I keep pouring the stuff in?  Sad to say, but I am a little leary of the advice I'm getting from my dealer.  Seems everyone I talk with gives me just a little bit different advice.   :-[

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!
'06 Majesta

Hot Tub Forum

Can't get ph / Alk down
« on: June 07, 2006, 02:20:58 pm »

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
Re: Can't get ph / Alk down
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2006, 02:25:19 pm »
I wouldn't chase it.

« Last Edit: June 07, 2006, 02:28:01 pm by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

dsegel

• Carpe Diem!
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2006, 02:28:53 pm »
I wouldn't chase it.

Meaning . . . ?
'06 Majesta

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2006, 02:31:25 pm »
Sorry.  Didn't mean to do a drive by posting.  ;)

I'm not a pro, just a user, so in my humble opion,    if my water was clean and clear, and I was faithful keeping  the tub sanitized, I would not be dumping chems into the tub jsut to chase the PH and ALk down.

If my water had problems (cloudy, foaming,  giant spa cooties ) then I would try to get all the levels as close to perfect as possible and see what was effecting it.

« Last Edit: June 07, 2006, 02:33:01 pm by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

dsegel

• Carpe Diem!
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2006, 02:39:42 pm »
Thanks!

That reminds me that I should add that the water is crystal clear--no cloudiness, no foaming and feels fine.

One of the things that the dealer did tell me was not to obsess about the water testing.  Maybe I should follow his advice?
'06 Majesta

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2006, 02:46:04 pm »
Thanks!

That reminds me that I should add that the water is crystal clear--no cloudiness, no foaming and feels fine.

One of the things that the dealer did tell me was not to obsess about the water testing.  Maybe I should follow his advice?

If the water looks good, and you sanitize properly, then don't obsess.

My .02
« Last Edit: June 07, 2006, 02:46:44 pm by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

tonyp

• Soaking in a HS Envoy!
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2006, 03:04:24 pm »
My water does the same thing.  Seems to be fine after filling and then goes off the chart high.  I just keep adjusting it weekly or more often if I get a chance.  If the water is clear I don't worry.  Sometimes is takes 2 months to lower.

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2006, 03:23:51 pm »
I need to add more Ph down to get into range on my new water.  

I can see Drewstars point on not chasing, but from what other stuff I've read, having water too far out of suggested range can be bad for the spa components-
Too low is bad because of corrsions, too high is bad because of possible mineral buildup on the components.

I've also read information that sanitizers work best at certain Ph and or Alk ranges.

But I'm just another consumer- not a spa pro or chemist.

Brewman

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2006, 04:11:53 pm »
Thanks!

Good advise, it may come down with regular use if you are using dichlor.  I might suggest shocking every other weekend with a NONBUFFERED MPS shock product.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

vlady

• 05 Sundance Cameo
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2006, 05:21:48 pm »
When I first got my tub I had the same problem.  My dealer told me to add the ph down, wait 30 minutes, test it and if the levels were still high to do the same procedure again, every 30 minutes until it got lower.  It took most of the day, but it finally did come down to normal levels.  

I don't worry about it as much now as I did when I first got the tub but that procedure worked for me if you want to try it.  I pretty much go with the clean and clear method now.  

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2006, 06:53:51 pm »

Good advise, it may come down with regular use if you are using dichlor.  I might suggest shocking every other weekend with a NONBUFFERED MPS shock product.

You had to bring up the buffered vs unbuffered MPS ...  ;D

An Alk of 180 is high where you may have to wait a long time for PH and alk to start coming down. I have had my tub go to 7.8 and stay there for weeks with an alk not as high. MPS and soaking will definately bring both down, but it may stay up there for a while... but under Chas' law, you'll be changing the water in a month.

If you have a Taylor kit, the booklet that comes with it will give you how much stuff to put in to achive a PH of say 7.6.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2006, 06:53:51 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42