What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Buffered versus unbuffered MPS  (Read 4740 times)

Gomboman

• My Pride and Joy
Buffered versus unbuffered MPS
« on: June 05, 2006, 11:35:41 pm »
OK, I'm normally a dichlor man but I thought I would give MPS a try for my weekly shock. I would continue to use dichlor after each use.

Do most folks here use buffered or unbuffered MPS? I've used some HotSring MPS from the start-up kit. Is that buffered?

I hear a lot of people talk about the unbuffered Sea Klear brand. What kind of MPS do you use?
2005 Hot Spring Envoy still going strong. Million-Mile Club....

I want to get in the spa business so I can surf the internet and use Photoshop all day long.

Hot Tub Forum

Buffered versus unbuffered MPS
« on: June 05, 2006, 11:35:41 pm »

sandiego

• Caldera Spa Dealer for 30 years
Re: Buffered versus unbuffered MPS
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2006, 01:59:22 am »
Leisure Time Renew.

anne

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2006, 03:32:10 am »
I use the Sea Klear b/c it was available at doc's site, at a good price, and is unbuffered. The unbuffered part is perhaps not a good thing for everyone, but good for me.
Dance like nobody's watching

DoubleA

• 2006 Caldera Tahitian
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2006, 07:27:02 am »
I use Spa Gaurd MPS, it's what came with the tub for my new chlorine start-up and the dealer gave me a free 5 pound jug.  Can't beat that.  I guess I've never used chlorine for a shock yet so not sure of the differences, but I do use chlorine after each soak.  So far no problems.

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2006, 07:46:23 am »
I use unbuffered- Brilliance brand, leftover from when I was using their bromine.

Brewman

windsurfdog

• Loving this cool weather....
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2006, 08:21:43 am »
I use unbuffered.....no particular brand.  I check the ingredients to make sure it is MPS only.  I believe merely adding your own soda ash or baking soda (depending upon TA/pH readings) gets the same job done.  This way, if my pH is a bit high, the unbuffered MPS will tend to draw it down.
We, the unwilling, led by the unqualified, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful...

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2006, 08:41:17 am »
Unbuffered - more active O2 to do the job without any extra stuff in it ... I too let baking soda raise the ph and alk.

tonyp

• Soaking in a HS Envoy!
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2006, 08:46:17 am »
How do you tell from the bottle if it's buffered?

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2006, 12:20:50 pm »
I use LEisure Time's Renew and have had good luck. Like Tony, how do you tell if it's buffered or unbuffered?

What is the differece/concerns?

07 Caldera Geneva

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2006, 01:56:05 pm »
I'm pretty sure Leisure Time's Renew is buffered MPS.
It says somewhere on the label that it has no affect on Ph- which indicates that it's buffered.  Non buffered MPS does impact Ph.
Plus the dosage of Renew is quite a bit higher- 4 ounces of product per 500 gallons of spa water, vs Brilliance, which calls for 1 ounce of product for 500 gallons.  Brilliance is not buffered, and does seem to bring down Ph and/or alk.  

If the container or product claims to have no impact on Ph then I'd assume it'd buffered, as well as if you have to use a relative lot of product.  In this case, you have to use 4 times the volume of Renew vs Brilliance, presumably because the buffering agents take up room.

Not as sure about Sea Klear.  That one doesn't say if it's buffered or not, and requires half the dosage as Renew, but still twice as much as Brilliance.

Renew lists 32% MPS, Sea Klear lists 45%, and I can't find an online source for Brilliance, but I'd guess it has a still higher amount of MPS because of the lower dosage.

Brewman

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2006, 03:11:36 pm »
How do you tell from the bottle if it's buffered?

Usually by the ingredients. Unbuffer is 100% mono-whatever.  Buffered may list up to 50%  "inert ingredients and may say "buffering agents"
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Gil

« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2006, 04:02:05 pm »
Is there any reason why one's pH would be lowered when using a buffered MPS?  I've been using Rendezvous Activate MPS occassionally over the past month or so to shock with and every time that I do, I have to add baking soda to keep my pH in check.  If I run with straight Dichlor. I don't have this issue.

Take Care,
Gil

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2006, 04:02:05 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42