What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Do you use a Pre Filter?  (Read 6776 times)

Gomboman

• My Pride and Joy
Do you use a Pre Filter?
« on: June 04, 2006, 07:18:46 pm »
The last time I filled my spa I had iron in the water which turned my water green. When I shocked with dichlor I had rust colored cr*p around the water line and in my filters. I'm on city water and this has never happened before. The water company couldn't tell me why their water had cr*p in it.

Anyway, I was wondering if a Pre Filter would have helped. I'm thinking a Pre Filter would only remove algae and dirt etc.

Do you use a Pre Filter? If so, what brand?

http://www.hotspring.com/Spas_Built_Last/water_care.html
2005 Hot Spring Envoy still going strong. Million-Mile Club....

I want to get in the spa business so I can surf the internet and use Photoshop all day long.

Hot Tub Forum

Do you use a Pre Filter?
« on: June 04, 2006, 07:18:46 pm »

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
Re: Do you use a Pre Filter?
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2006, 07:30:37 pm »
One time, at band camp (sorry), I filled my spa and the water was a rusty brown- turns out the city was flushing the mains that day.  But only happened once.
Usually or water is good enought to not need a pre filter.
Those Omni cartridge filters are cheap, and could easily be fitted to a garden hose to filter your fill water.
Lots of cartriges to choose for the filter, too.
Brewman

Tubaholic

• HS Grandee Indoors
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2006, 08:13:18 pm »
I also have city water but did have a time when while filling the tub I encountered what looked like rust particles in the water. Ever since then I have used the Fresh Start pre-filter by HS and all has been fine.

Gomboman

• My Pride and Joy
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2006, 08:56:52 pm »
I try to buy everything from my dealer but I couldn't justify $60 for the pre-filter. Are there similar filters for less money out there? Can someone give me a recommendation?

I want to get in the spa business so I can surf the internet and use Photoshop all day long.

Vanguard

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2006, 09:00:15 pm »
The pre-filter is used to filter out minerals.  It is a charcoal based product.   It is always a good idea to add some stain and scale.  It will help a bit with metals, but still use stain and scale if it continues to be an issue.  It actually won't do anything for algae as it is not a sanitizer or algaecide.
The stars at night are big and bright, deep in the heart of Texas and my Vanguard!!!

Gomboman

• My Pride and Joy
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2006, 09:02:42 pm »
I had iron or magnesium in the water. Can't remember which one. It turned my water green. Will a pre-filter help with this problem?

LtDan

• Jacuzzi J345
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2006, 09:33:44 pm »
Camping supply places have a variety of filters that you can put between the water supply and your camper. They are cheaper and should work. This one is 26 bucks.

Gomboman

• My Pride and Joy
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2006, 01:22:16 am »
The pre-filter is used to filter out minerals.  It is a charcoal based product.   It is always a good idea to add some stain and scale.  It will help a bit with metals, but still use stain and scale if it continues to be an issue.  It actually won't do anything for algae as it is not a sanitizer or algaecide.

Are you sure it does nothing for algae? I wonder about metals?

OK, straight from the HS site:

PRE-FILTER

When you fill your spa, the optional FreshStart®10,000 pre-filter helps to ensure the water is as clean as possible. Attaching to your garden hose, it filters out rust, dirt, detergents, algae and chemicals.

Bill_Stevenson

• Hot Spring Envoy
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2006, 01:16:45 pm »
I use the HS pre-filter that was provided by my dealer as part of my start-up package.  It does help, but it does not remove the green in new water.  Dichlor takes care of that.  It would remove a modicum of iron and similar metals and chemicals though.  

Bill

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2006, 01:22:32 pm »
would metal gone help out? Does it coagualte the metal particles so they can trapped in the filter? (resulting in a filthy filter). OR do the metal gone products remove metal in the water on a molecualr level, helping water chemistry, no necesarly clarity.  ?
07 Caldera Geneva

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2006, 01:22:32 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42