What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Balancing water  (Read 3827 times)

CapMorgan

Balancing water
« on: May 29, 2006, 03:53:22 pm »
Hello all,

I’ve had my hot tub almost 3 months now im still using the first fill of water. My water is clear but for the last month my PH is been on the low side 7.2 I like to keep it between 7.4  and 7.6 so every week when I test my water I find my PH on the low side so I have been adding Pro Team PH up. Every week I have been adding Ph up to keep PH up but now my TA has been rising it is now at 140 how can I keep my PH at 7.5 with out my TA rising I like to keep my TA at 125.

Thanks
CapMorgan

Hot Tub Forum

Balancing water
« on: May 29, 2006, 03:53:22 pm »

cappykat

Re: Balancing water
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2006, 11:09:32 pm »
I've had the same problem recently with both my pH and TA being low.  Whenever it happens I add plain ole baking soda.  In my case 2-3 tablespoons for 450 gallons.  I run the jets for 20-25 minutes and then check the following day.  After a day I'm back within normal range.
2005 Marquis Epic

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2006, 12:36:26 am »
Acceptable water parameters are usually given as a range.  Trying to hit specific readings can only complicate things needlessly.  All your numbers sound fine. Don't worry, be happy.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

cappykat

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2006, 09:10:29 am »
I agree wmccall!  I don't try to get "exact" readings.  If I'm in the range, I'm happy!
2005 Marquis Epic

CapMorgan

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2006, 06:29:33 pm »
I've had the same problem recently with both my pH and TA being low.  Whenever it happens I add plain ole baking soda.  In my case 2-3 tablespoons for 450 gallons.  I run the jets for 20-25 minutes and then check the following day.  After a day I'm back within normal range.

cappykat the plain ole baking soda you are using you mean like arm & hammer baking soda?

Also im just fighting low ph not low ph and ta by using ph up my ta has been rising when i started my ta was at 80 now it is at 140 while my ph is still on the low side.

1.) When just using baking soda does that just raise the ph or does it raise both ph and ta?

2.) What can i use to lower just TA?

Thanks CapMorgan

cappykat

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2006, 08:33:35 pm »
Yep, plain ole baking soda in the yellow box...LOL!  It raises both but more the pH.  Someone on this board told me about the baking soda...maybe Vinny??

I'm not sure about lowering the TA.  You can use plain ole vinegar to lower the pH.  I'm not sure about the amount.  Those in the know, please respond.
2005 Marquis Epic

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2006, 09:37:58 pm »
Unfortunately whenever you try to lower either PH ar alkalinity both go down. The one thing I've read is to  add an acid (PH down, muriatic acid (real nasty stuff) or even vinegar) in one spot without any circulation and it effects the alkalinity more than PH. I've never tried it but it might work.

My suggestion is to not worry about alk too much. It's only function is to lock in the PH so it doesn't bounce. If you have a Taylor kit and see what readings give you balanced water ... there are an aweful lot of "perfect" readings that can be had!

To get PH up get soda ash (I believe), there is something in the stores that'll raise only PH ... if it was a pool I'd suggest Borax but I don't know what effect (if any) it will have on your tub .. although I did use it once in a pinch ...

AND for baking soda, the heck with Arm and Hammer, buy generic ... I buy the store brand and get 2 lbs for $0.79 and it treats a lot of water ... both spa and pool.

windsurfdog

• Loving this cool weather....
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2006, 09:02:31 pm »
Balancing water is more like hand gernades and horseshoes......and gov't work...... 8)
We, the unwilling, led by the unqualified, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful...

alwaysperky

• Hail the flashlight king!
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2006, 10:24:04 pm »
Vinny!

Do you know if I can effectively use the "Taylor Test Kit" even though I use...........................Baqua? :o

AP

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2006, 06:39:04 am »
Vinny!

Do you know if I can effectively use the "Taylor Test Kit" even though I use...........................Baqua? :o

AP

NO! you can't  ... But apparently Taylor makes a Baqua kit! :D  Maybe e-mail Doc for availability.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2006, 06:39:04 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42