What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: confused shopper  (Read 2497 times)

mj57

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
confused shopper
« on: May 28, 2006, 10:36:13 pm »
I never knew it could be so confusing to find the "right" hot tub!  It wouldn't be quite so intimidating if the tubs weren't so $$$.  I've been searching for 'impartial' comparisons and found this forum in the process. We're looking for a 6 person spa without the lounger configuration.  Have had the Sundance Optima, Marquis Destiny, and the Reflections Granada recommended to us either by friends or the dealers they sent us to.  I have found a lot of info on the Sundance, but little on the other two.  We're going to 'wet test' the Optima and Granada Monday.  We already tested a Marquis Epic.  Does anyone have information re the Reflections brand?  

Also, can you help me understand how to value differences in motors and hp?  Granada has three motors - 2 4 hp and 1 3 hp.  Optima has 2 2.5 hp continuous motors. I don't know if I'm comparing the same thing by looking at hp.   Any other key points that can help us sort through the sales pitches and "great memorial day sales"?  Thanks....

Hot Tub Forum

confused shopper
« on: May 28, 2006, 10:36:13 pm »

anne

Re: confused shopper
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2006, 06:45:56 am »
I'm not going to address your HP question except to say that you are right to realize that you cannot necessarily compare pumps and motors in 2 tubs by comparing HP. I'll let the techs explain that, cuz they know better.

I'd say that this is NOT a place to get impartial info, but it is a GREAT place to get lots of different opinions, and then you have to sift all that info into something relevant to you.

You are on the right track to wet test, and that data is going to mean about 100% more than HP data, I bet.

Good luck and let us know how the wet testing goes. It is a hard thing to get out there are try to find the "perfect" spa for you, and I know it can be nerve wracking because of the big expense, but try to have fun with it. I know that about 1/2 way through my shopping experience I was about ready to give up and just surrender myself to a bathtub full of hot water instead. The advice and humor I found here (as well as my boyfriend's reassurance and support) made the shopping experience much more tolerable. Hang in there!
Dance like nobody's watching

TN__HOT_TUB

• Owner of  an Artesian Island Grand Cayman
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2006, 07:53:43 am »
We looked at the Reflection spas.  We weren't all that impressed (we did not wet test).  The local dealer carried these to appeal to folks that shop mainly on price.  It was their low end line (they carried Jacuzzi, Sundance & Reflection).

There lower end (premiere series) is thermo-pane insulation.  You need to upgrade (ultra series) to get the full foam insulation.

I wouldn't put too much emphasis on the jet HP issue.  Just as in a car, some hot tubs perform very well (even outperform) even though they don't have the largest HP rating.  You'll need to wet test.
Artesian Island Grand Cayman

Zep

• Cal Spas SQ92 Dallas-Texas
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2006, 08:09:00 am »
re: "I'd say that this is NOT a place to get impartial info, but it is a GREAT place to get lots of different opinions, and then you have to sift all that info into something relevant to you."

Anne....that was the best explanation
of what this board is all about that I have ever seen!

cappy2449

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2006, 09:28:19 am »
it gets very  confusing, i just went thru it...every dealer claims to have a patent on something....go with the features and size you want...and mostly with a dealer that you connect with...i was also looking for a lounge and just bought the d1 chairman 11....good luck...you'll feel better once you make a decision..some sales going on this weekend

rocket

• Life is good!
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2006, 12:03:21 pm »
Marquis is one of the top brands in the industry.

The Destiny is a great soaking spa.  You might also consider the Ult. 630.  Similar in features, seats and size but better priced.

Good luck in your search.

mj57

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2006, 08:55:35 pm »
thanks for the helpful comments.  I'm glad I found this site.  I plan to keep it bookmarked and visit frequently - as a new spa owner soon, I hope.  We did two wet tests today and could clearly see/feel a difference between the two spa brands....closer to making up our minds...

anne

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2006, 01:49:07 am »
re: "I'd say that this is NOT a place to get impartial info, but it is a GREAT place to get lots of different opinions, and then you have to sift all that info into something relevant to you."

Anne....that was the best explanation
of what this board is all about that I have ever seen!

thanks, Zep!
Dance like nobody's watching

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2006, 08:59:36 am »
As far as the HP is concerned, I'll go along the same lines as Anne.  It's difficult to simply go by HP. The best way  to judge a quality spa is to wet test.

To make an analogy; Simpley looking at HP can be misleading.  As with a car, typically an engine with more HP is condisdered stronger/faster but other factors such as transmission, car wieght, tourque, areodyamics all effect it.

With a tub,  the amout of jets, thier size, configuration and how they are plumbed (diverters, effeicent pipping, nozzles, air injection) will effect how they feel and perform. Also HP isn't the only measure to a pump, I've learned Gallons per minute  is also a significant concern.

Now given the above,  higher hp may not even be desirable,  Do you want to get blasted out of the seat every time you use the tub?  I know of one  rebrander that boasts such high hp even he admits he can't sit in the tub for more than 15 minutes.  

All  in all , I'd look for a tub that has at least 2 pumps. This offer a choice to turn both on, or just one (running some of the jets, or all of them.  A pump with multi speed (hi-low) also is nice as so you can increase,  decrease the power, and have the option and ability to enjoy the tub  under several conditions.  I've sat in tubs that had 1 pump 1 hp and it was enjoyable. I've sat in tubs that had two 2.5 hp pumps and thought "eh."

I belive if you focus on quality  brand names, and the wet test,  the actual HP rating doesn't become a deciding factor.   The performance and feel does.  After all, isn't that why you are buying a tub?

Given that,, you're going to need to wet test a few tubs so you have an understanding on how they compare to each other.

:D
« Last Edit: May 30, 2006, 09:15:39 am by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2006, 08:59:36 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42