What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Long Distance Move  (Read 2672 times)

r100rs

• A real BMW only has 2 wheels!
Long Distance Move
« on: May 28, 2006, 02:16:55 pm »
Where can I rent a proper sized trailer to move an Optima from IND to DEN.  Seems most rental trailers have about a 7' platform.  Also would it be smart to move one that distance on its side and if so which side?  Personnally I don't like that idea.  Or would it be better just to hire someone - maybe a pro or some of you guys/gals (not saying you folks aren't pros at something) -- anybody interested?

r100rs

Hot Tub Forum

Long Distance Move
« on: May 28, 2006, 02:16:55 pm »

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
Re: Long Distance Move
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2006, 02:38:45 pm »
I pulled a Grandee (8'4" x 7' 7" - 900 pounds) on trailers like this. I rented one from Uhaul which was just like this. Uhaul called it a garden tractor trailer.

Set the spa horizontally on the rails, snug it up against the ramp and tie it down with 2" straps or better - the kind with the ratchet winch. I ran two straps from the handles on the ramp to the front rail - the spa and trailer became as one.

The spa sits low, you may be able to see over it depending upon how high your tow vehicle is - if you put this behind a moving truck/rental truck you might forget it is even there.
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2006, 11:24:05 pm »
If you want to move it flat, a two place snowmobile trailer would work too.  They are about the same size as the Optima, and would hold the weight.
One way trailer rentals would probably have to be thru some national franchise like U-Haul or similar.
Brewman

RayF-1

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2006, 02:35:22 pm »
I hauled from IN to VA with no problem after a pickup at the factory.  I hauled vertically after blocking and bracing.  Can provide pics if you wish.

I support the recommendation of snowmobile or other flat bed trailer if you were to haul horizontially.  I'd be concerned that sitting a tub on trailer bed rails would concentrate too much weight in a small location.    

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2006, 03:37:09 pm »
I support the recommendation of snowmobile or other flat bed trailer if you were to haul horizontially.  I'd be concerned that sitting a tub on trailer bed rails would concentrate too much weight in a small location.    
No problem, done it many times. Tubs are designed to hold 4500+ pounds when filled - some are as low as 500# empty.

Want to spread the weight out more? Lay down three or four boards and then set the spa on those.
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2006, 03:37:09 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42