What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: dumb question maybe please help  (Read 2880 times)

jamulboy

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
dumb question maybe please help
« on: May 25, 2006, 12:10:08 pm »
there are several vertical hairline cracks in my hot tub that seem to emit a silt like debris over time that collects in the bottom. Is this tub shot or can it be resealed or what??? The hot tub is an older fiberglass tub shell. Thanks for any response at all-

Hot Tub Forum

dumb question maybe please help
« on: May 25, 2006, 12:10:08 pm »

Drewski

• Artesian Piper Glen since 1999 in Beachtown, USA
Re: dumb question maybe please help
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2006, 01:40:18 pm »
Hi jamulboy and welcome to the forum.

Sorry that no one answered this post or the last one you made, but sometimes the "experts" seem to get busy.

I'm probably not the best individual to reply to this thread, but I'll give it a shot.

Most "composite" materials can be repaired. The "silt" you are seeing is probably from the insulation of the tub "leaking" into the water. The cracks you are speaking of may be "stress" cracks or they could also be caused by a drop or uneven loading of the spa (say filling it on an uneven service).

Sometimes manufacturers have "longer" warranties on their shells, so if you know anything about the tub, I'd suggest you look this up. Also, maybe a few pictures?

Generally, you CAN repair composite shell material. First, turn off and drain the spa. Open the cabinet behind the crack and see what you can see. If the structure is compromised, you may have to re-enforce it with glass. If not, I'd suggest using a roto tool grinding bit to SLIGHTLY increase the width and depth of the cracks, followed by using an epoxy resin to fill them. This product is available at most home stores. It's also a good idea to use a surface tape around the crack to minimize the contact of the epoxy with the shell surface, creating a neater job. Finally, you will need to sand and smooth the repair. You can try and color match with a finishing gelcoat, but this might not be easy for a spa. Realize, no matter what you do, this repair will be OBVIOUSLY visible. Keep that in mind.

Also keep in mind I get my fiberglass and composite experience from working on BOATS, not SPAS. You may want to request additional advice.

Good Luck... post questions if you have them...

Drewski

8)  
It's a HOT tub... anything else is just a POOL!

hottub.pool_boy

• New England's oldest HotSpring Dealer- 1983
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2006, 04:52:28 pm »
Just use it. Any repair will look like an eyesore. Or pay hundreds for a bathtub repair guy and airbrushing. It's not worth it.
Save your money for the new spa. My opinion.
OEM HotSpring Stuff & SpaGuard Chemicals Online

DPS

• The light was yellow, sir
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2006, 12:31:52 am »
I agree.  I've never seen an acrylic crack repair that didn't eventually look worse than the crack.  The crack won't leak - it's just ugly.  Use it, as - is, until you are ready for a new spa.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2006, 12:31:52 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42