What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: HS cover lifter-which is "better"?  (Read 2944 times)

kervis

• runnergirl
HS cover lifter-which is "better"?
« on: May 25, 2006, 07:06:50 am »
My Vanguard will come in a month.  I can still change my mind about the cover lifter and am looking for some help.  I am a big fan of keeping it simple as then less can go wrong, but I also want it to be easy to use. When I tried them in the store, I thought both were fine, but now I am thinking about longevity. The spa will be out in the open, so I don't have any restrictions there.  Do I get the simple one or do I get the Covercradle with the gas springs?  If/when the gas springs are shot, wouldn't it be  just like using the other lifter  with no gas springs? I wouldn't HAVE to replace them, would I? So should I get the "fancier" one and have things easier for as long as it lasts?!  Will either cover lifter restrict my future replacement cover purchases?  (I noticed that the gas springs one had a little bar running partway through the seam on either side.)  Does either cover put more wear and tear on the center seam?  With a cover lifter, does that matter? I'd like something really durable that I won't have to worry about. Thanks!
2005 HS Vanguard

Hot Tub Forum

HS cover lifter-which is "better"?
« on: May 25, 2006, 07:06:50 am »

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
Re: HS cover lifter-which is "better"?
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2006, 07:43:48 am »
I've not had any experience with specifically HS lifters. While simpler is frequently better, even the most elaborate lifter is not that difficult as the process is pretty simple anyway.  A better lifter will definitely mean you will use your tub more.  Do you have kids?  Its always nice when one person can use the lifter.  Changing the shocks might be the worst part, but I'm sure it won't be that difficult.

I recently said,as it applied to me in another thread, "Why spend $7000 on a spa and $75 on a lifter.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

kervis

• runnergirl
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2006, 08:02:02 am »
I was hoping you would reply--I had just seen the pics of your covermate!  I really like that it doesn't fasten to the cabinet.  I think that all of the HS lifters fasten into the cabinet.  It came with my package, and I can pick whatever I want, but I like your theory of  getting a great lifter to go with the great spa!  Yes, I anticipate the kids will be using it (11,9,7) so easier may be better for all of us.  What is the typical life of those gas shocks?  Thanks.
2005 HS Vanguard

Zep

• Cal Spas SQ92 Dallas-Texas
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2006, 08:47:44 am »
re: "I really like that it doesn't fasten to the cabinet"

Kervis...I just orderd this one and will let ya know how I like it once it is installed.

http://www.spinternational.ca/english/PDF/Fiche%20Versalift.pdf

hymbaw

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2006, 01:46:07 pm »
My favorite HS lift is the Lift-N-Glide. Simple, sturdy, no gas assist, works well.
People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they're not on your road doesn't mean they've gotten lost.

hottub.pool_boy

• New England's oldest HotSpring Dealer- 1983
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2006, 04:49:54 pm »
We prefer the covercradle. Requires 28" behind the spa to operate.
OEM HotSpring Stuff & SpaGuard Chemicals Online

Vanguard

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2006, 07:58:41 pm »
Go with the Cover Cradle or the Cover Cradle II.  The CCII has only one gas shock and is a bit cheaper.

Even though the lifter attaches to the cabinet, I think it is a superior lifter.  I worry about the lifters that have a bar over the middle seams.  Just seems like it would put more stress on the seams.  The HSS covers have a metal plate that the CC attaches to.  

As the old saying goes, pay me now or pay me later.  Go ahead and get the good one now and enjoy it for years to come.
The stars at night are big and bright, deep in the heart of Texas and my Vanguard!!!

Gomboman

• My Pride and Joy
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2006, 10:10:56 pm »
If you have room go with the Covercradle. I love mine. The Cradle won't damage your cover since the bar is mounted to the side of the cover--it doesn't touch the top surface like most brands. You must have this confused with a different lifter. Don't skimp on a cheap lifter, otherwise, you'll be buying another one in the near future.
2005 Hot Spring Envoy still going strong. Million-Mile Club....

I want to get in the spa business so I can surf the internet and use Photoshop all day long.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2006, 10:10:56 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42