What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: floor model vs. order  (Read 4593 times)

tmknies1

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
floor model vs. order
« on: May 24, 2006, 08:03:21 am »
Hi everyone,

We took the plunge! I went to order our spa last evening. The dealership did not have the color we wanted in stock with the exception of the one filled on his floor. We could order and wait 3 1 /2 weeks or take his floor model and he would knock $100.00 off. Since the spa bug invaded my husband and we were so over budget anyway I decided to order and wait for a brand new one. I did not think $100.00 off warranted the floor model that has been used for 5 months with many strangers sitting it.  Now if he had said $500.00 I might have made a different decision.

Do dealers typically take additional money off a floor model?

We could not have made an informed decision without all of you. This is also one of the nicest boards I have seen. Thank you, thank you, thank you! ;D

Hot Tub Forum

floor model vs. order
« on: May 24, 2006, 08:03:21 am »

TN__HOT_TUB

• Owner of  an Artesian Island Grand Cayman
Re: floor model vs. order
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2006, 08:43:29 am »
I agree with you.  $100 discount for a floor model doesn't seem like enough....even if it means I don't have to wait a month for delivery.

I got the feeling from my dealer that they don't have any trouble selling their floor models (except for this old ugly brown/beige model that's been sitting in the corner).  I don't know if this means they give nice discounts or that folks are snatching them up quickly at their store.
Artesian Island Grand Cayman

LittleBlaine

• '06 Grandee
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2006, 08:50:06 am »
I think he'd have to do a bit better than $100.  My dealer offered me a floor HS vanguard that they wanted to move out for $1000 off.  It was a current model but it was full and had been used for wet tests - I wet tested it too.  I would have taken it, but decided we wanted something bigger and went with the Grandee instead.

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2006, 09:04:52 am »
Our spa dealer was a rather large local chain, so they delivered all of their spas that were not factory ordered from a central warehouse.
Floor models stayed all season, and were sold at the end of the model year, at a relatively substantial discount.
Now they've bailed on the spa business, and were selling the remaining floor models at even steeper discounts, but you had to arrange delivery and installation on your own, or pay them extra- $400 I think.
Brewman

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2006, 09:09:04 am »
$100 doesn't do it for me either.   I agree to take a 5 mo old demo unit,  a bit more would have to be put on the table.

Also folks should consider replacing the filters on the the floor models, and that can cost a few bucks.  I've read that some dealers do it without a second thought and include the new filters on the floor model, and I have also heard of dealers not so willing to do so.

What tub did you end up purchaseing?
07 Caldera Geneva

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2006, 09:17:37 am »
I had great luck with my floor model. One question, are you ready for delivery in the next few weeks? Electric ready, site prep done?
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

tmknies1

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2006, 09:30:54 am »
Wow Drewastar, never even thought about the filters. That would have easily taken up any savings.

I am sure we made the right choice to order. I am now just so excited and anxious I feel like my 6 yr old, I want it now!

We totally plunged and went for the Geneva. When we began looking we did not realize what a personal choice this was and focused on price. Once hubby looked at the differences and price was not the priority any longer it changed our search. In the beginning I was also wiling to order online or look at a Costco, I quickly learned the value of a good dealer. I took all your recommendations and researched and tested. I really liked the Envoy but was just a little more comfortable in the Geneva. Price was right. Artesian was a huge contender up but I was very uncomfortable with the dealer; 1 man, no storefront or wet tests, no staff, etc. no other dealer around.

Tammy

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2006, 10:39:42 am »
Is this by and chance THE Tammy?

;)
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2006, 11:06:51 am »
Is this by and chance THE Tammy?

;)

I assume you mean Term's Tammy?  This one appears to work in a bank in Connecticut. (see's all, knows all)
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2006, 11:31:19 am »
I agree with you.  $100 discount for a floor model doesn't seem like enough....even if it means I don't have to wait a month for delivery.
I suppose different dealers work differently. Some dealers sell off the floor as SOP.

I am close to the factoy, so I can get spas as needed. As a result, I do not give discounts if we deliver a floor model during the year - I consider it a courtesy extended to make the customer happy. In other words: if I am going to bring in my crew and mess up a display, re-wrap a spa, wrangle it out of the showroom area, point at a spa that's not there for a week or two because I always need to show THAT exact one while it's gone, and then deliver it in  a hurry which may mean three spas on the same day - only to have to come back next week or whenever the replacement shows up and put it back on the showroom with the accompanying mess ... and that doesn't even begin to cover a wet demo: we have to drain it and vac as much of the plumbing dry as we can. Then we clean and polish it like new, and install new filters. If the pillows show any marks or wear, they are replaced or at least worked over with 303.

Oh, and for some reason the customer in the rush never wants the rust cover I have in stock for that spa. So, I give them a loaner cover and come out next week with the color they want.

Now, at the time of model change - new spas arriving in February/March - I drop the prices on the floor models around $500 - 600. Also, I include whatever lifts, ozone, lights or other accessories may be on that spa: Spaudio excluded. THAT'S the time I want to get rid of the floor models and my thinking is that they have done a job for me, they are finished with it, and I need to get the new models on display ASAP. Right now I am offering 2005 Caldera floor models at $900 off - with a step, starter kit, free delivery and a free cover lift for any/all takers. And I will do my best to have it in the backyard within 24 housr if I can.

We advertise our annual floor model clearance and try to have the floor models pre-sold a month before the new ones arrive: so in that case the customer is getting $600 discount, a free lift and ozone (on TR or other spas that may not have it from the factory) - but they get to wait for the new spa to arrive before we can deliver.

Sounds nuts, but we have done it for close to 20 years, and I have customers who walk in around December and plunk down because they want the discount and the free stuff. They know it will happen because when asked about 'floor models' I let them know they are welcome to them, if they don't mind the wait.

Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

marks

• 2005 Beachcomber 580
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2006, 03:46:36 pm »
Chas,

For what it worth that is exactly what my Beachcomber dealer does.  We I looked at my Spa about half of the floor models where sold and they where still in the show room.  They deliver when the new Spa arrives.

Viper_Dude

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2006, 03:59:12 pm »
I agree with the general concensus that a $100 discount is not sufficient. I bought a floor model, but it had only been in the shop a little under a month and had never been filled. The dealer still took a little over a thousand off of the price it would have cost to have ordered one with the exact same options from the factory.

tmknies1

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2006, 08:41:12 am »
No, not Term's Tammy. ALthough Term is totally cool :). I am a Banker in CT.

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2006, 09:43:18 am »
No, not Term's Tammy. ALthough Term is totally cool :). I am a Banker in CT.

I thought everyone who worked in CT was in the insurance industry?  (or, that's how it appears if you go through Hartford).   My sister is in Tolland.  CT is a very nice state.  :)
« Last Edit: May 25, 2006, 09:43:40 am by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

tmknies1

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2006, 10:38:46 am »
You may be correct Drewstar, actually one of our largest subsidiaries an insurance division.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2006, 10:38:46 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42