What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Covermate II installed  (Read 5586 times)

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
Covermate II installed
« on: May 24, 2006, 03:27:39 pm »
Last weekend I drained my tub and got the new covermate II installed.  It was a pretty easy installation. The hardest part was putting in around 12 self tapping screws into the pipes.

My old coverlifter was a generic one that mounted to the cabinet. When my original cover got to heavy it put a big strain on the spa cabinet so I wanted to try an under the tub mount this time.  Here it is in the closed position.

The instructions are adequate, but could be improved on.  My original coverlifter was put on by a pair of only semi trained monkeys who were most interested in selling me a $200 chemical kit.  They actually drilled a hole in the cover when they incorrectly mounted my lifter on the day of delivery.  At least with that experience I had an idea how to take the time to properly position the pieces for the best operation.

Over all I'm pretty happy with the covermate II. Its a little heavier duty and anodized black, instead of spray painted black.  Its pretty easy to use.  I'd never put a generic one on a 92x92" cover again.

Here it is in the open position.

On the next water change, I'll move the brackets back about 1/2" so the cover will hang straight and not lean on the back of the tub.

The umbrella is from Wanda Technologies and I bought an under the spa mount for it as well, but the mount was  a piece of garbage and would flex inward when the umbrella was above the tub.

Thanks to Doc for getting parts for me to keep the old one going and for selling me the new one.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2006, 03:32:05 pm by wmccall »
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Hot Tub Forum

Covermate II installed
« on: May 24, 2006, 03:27:39 pm »

Zep

• Cal Spas SQ92 Dallas-Texas
Re: Covermate II installed
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2006, 04:13:27 pm »
Nice wmccall

TN__HOT_TUB

• Owner of  an Artesian Island Grand Cayman
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2006, 07:11:31 pm »
looks good
nice clock you got there too.  the wife says i need to get one of those so i know when to come to bed.
Artesian Island Grand Cayman

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2006, 07:59:00 pm »
looks good
nice clock you got there too.  the wife says i need to get one of those so i know when to come to bed.

The clock was a great deal, its indoor/outdoor and its radio controlled so its accurate to 1 second and never has to be set.  I think I only paid $14 for it.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2006, 08:38:06 pm »
Is that the old cover still?

???
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2006, 10:04:42 pm »
I've had a cover before this one that lasted 2 years. This one is just over a year old I believe.

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2006, 08:55:02 am »
Looking good Will.

I have the cover mate 1 (side mount) on my Tiger River. It's a smaller tub and the CM1 works well, although I don't think I'd put a larger cover on it.  I installed my own and although a bit tedious to install, anyone with a bit of patience, and a screw gun can do it.  I agree, the Covermates  appear to be decent quality.

I am curious on how the lift will work in the snow. Do you plan on shoveling out behind the tub where the lower bar is?

When lifting the cover, is the lower bar designed to have you place your foot on it to help leverarge the cover? Does that make a difference (or are you like me, and only open 1/2 the cover, hop in and then lift the rest of the cover up while in the tub?

« Last Edit: May 25, 2006, 08:56:28 am by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2006, 09:15:03 am »

II installed my own and although a bit tedious to install, anyone with a bit of patience, and a screw gun can do it.  I agree, the Covermates  appear to be decent quality.

- I did it with a simple screwdriver, but I've always had well conditioned wrists.

I am curious on how the lift will work in the snow. Do you plan on shoveling out behind the tub where the lower bar is?
= I hadn't thought that far ahead yet.  Its rare we have a significant amount of snow that hangs around more than a few days any more.

When lifting the cover, is the lower bar designed to have you place your foot on it to help leverarge the cover? Does that make a difference (or are you like me, and only open 1/2 the cover, hop in and then lift the rest of the cover up while in the tub?

I suppose it might be,  its easy enough to do with one hand on the side, I hadn't considered helping it from the back.  I always open the tub completely as I like to move around.  My daughter is the only one opens up half and she sits in the lounger to read.  

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2006, 09:23:53 am »
- I did it with a simple screwdriver, but I've always had well conditioned wrists.

Oh.  ::)
07 Caldera Geneva

RayF-1

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2006, 09:36:05 am »
I have a CM II on a large tub.

Usual opening procedure to unlatch all corners, then lift the front half of cover on to the back half.  Finally, from inside the tub, tilt the whole deal over the back of the tub.

Another unmentioned advantage .. the portion of the tipped cover that remains above the edge of the tub creates a nice windbreak.

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2006, 09:40:43 am »
I have a CM II on a large tub.

Usual opening procedure to unlatch all corners, then lift the front half of cover on to the back half.  Finally, from inside the tub, tilt the whole deal over the back of the tub.

Another unmentioned advantage .. the portion of the tipped cover that remains above the edge of the tub creates a nice windbreak.

Folks putting in a new tub and are concered about privacy, should also keep in mind, that in addition to a wind break, the open cover does add a bit of privacy to one side.

And since we are on the topic of covers and opening them here's another shameless plug for Doc Spa, using his huricane  strap, I no longer have to walk around the tub to unlatch the back.  :D
07 Caldera Geneva

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2006, 09:40:43 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42