What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Hot tub Quandary  (Read 2254 times)

unclesalty

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Hot tub Quandary
« on: May 22, 2006, 08:10:39 am »
Ive got a dilema. My hs soverign is 9 years old. It has been almost problem free since new. My old dealer seemed to always know me (my tub anyway)but has sold the business to the rec warehouse.
Currently Ive replaced my heater and cover. I had a small drip for the last few months which is now a steady drip. I pulled some siding off and found the leak. Its on a line just under the cartridge (filter) cavity.
My freshwater 1 system is also dead. Anybody have a ballpark figure for a leak fix? and what should I use to replace my ozonater.
I did not want to buy a new hottub this year but just in case we went Hot spring shopping last weekend.
I was interested in the jetsetter but we didnt go prepared. No wet test yet. my wife loves the new moto in the lounger. My current tub is 110 (never been a problem) although it is on its own circuit and can probably do 220.
And whats with the "classic" series? can I get one with the new moto massage? we cant wait to test it. I tried talking to the sales guys at the rec but they show you the tub with one hand and expect you to buy (sign) with the other. Its like a cattle drive in there. "move em on out!" They seem to be the only dealer in my area (just north of tampa florida).
Sorry for the long post.
I guess it boils down to this, I would like a guestamate on the leak fix and where can I buy replacement redwood siding.
Whats a good replacement ozonater?
Are other components just waiting to fail. Is it time to replace the tub? (weve been using it several times a week since new)
Brian       ??? ???

Hot Tub Forum

Hot tub Quandary
« on: May 22, 2006, 08:10:39 am »

J._McD

Re: Hot tub Quandary
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2006, 12:06:53 pm »
A HS 9 years old should still have another 6 to 11 years of life left in it.  I can understand how Rec Warehouse just wants to sell you a new tub, but as a HS dealer they should also be able to provide a service for your old tub, if not call HS and find out who does service their products in your area.

I suppose if you buy a new one, they would service you.  It is a shame that you can't get yours fixed.  I am not a HS dealer but I would think if you have located the leak and they come out to fix it, I would THINK it would cost around $200 tops and they should be able to order new boards from HS.

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2006, 12:37:29 pm »
Yes, now that you have found the leak, anyone who knows how to glue up PVC should be able to do the repair. You may very well be able to do it yourself.

Any HS dealer can order the replacement siding. Tip: sand all the siding on either side of the hole down to bare wood. Then when you put the new stuff in, you can put a touch of glue on the overlapping part and it will actually stick. Be sure to wipe off any excess glue you squeeze out.

When it's dry, sand and stain the whole spa. That's the very worst part of a leak repair IMO.

Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2006, 12:44:06 pm »
IMO - no the rest of the tub is not waiting to fail.

I get spas on trade with minor leaks. Almost ALL of them are leaking from some fitting in the motor compartment or rodent damage. We fix the leak, sand and stain if the tub is clothed in wood - put in the parts I normally replace on every used spa we sell, and I have yet to have one not give good service for years and years. Two of my neighbors have spas like that: the youngest one is 16 years old. Both of those tubs had no leaks when we got them, but we replaced the pump seals as a matter of course and discoverd both pumps on the Grandee and the one pump on the Classic had begun to 'seep.' Would have caused a problem if we hadn't caught it.

Both have been running for six or more years without a problem, and the neighbor with the Grandee just sent their married daughter in to shop for a used spa 'like mom and dad have.' She will hopefully buy the Grandee my family and I are enjoying in our yard.
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Kyle

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2006, 12:51:31 pm »
Try Sarasota.

Kyle

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2006, 12:54:16 pm »
You will not get any service from Rec.  Many Recs are carrying HS now.   You're better off going to Sarasota where there is an older HS dealer that will service the product.  I would repair the leak and replace the ozone.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2006, 12:54:16 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42