What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: New cover lifter  (Read 5442 times)

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
New cover lifter
« on: May 17, 2006, 05:12:02 pm »
We still love our tub, though the only regret I have had is the original cover lifter.  Before purchasing, I never gave any consideration to a cover lifter, other than having one.

It turns out the one(s) I had were sort of covermate I knock offs that my dealer used.   When the first one failed prematurely after about 18 months, my dealer gave me another at his cost, and it came in a pretty plain box with no identification.  

With hindsight, this lifter  with its mount into the top side of the spa, was not beefy enough for a cover this size (92"x92" w 5"-3" taper)   The  bolt that holds the cover in the upright position was way too weak and the mount put a lot of stress on the cabinet.   This is the best picture I have -

This also was a huge wind load so I was always afraid to use it on a windy day.

Well, I've decided to replace the lifter with a Covermate II with an under the spa mount.  Turns out, Doc had the  best price. I ordered, it arrived today, and I'll install it this weekend.

Moral of the story, why spend $7000 on a hot tub and install a $75 lifter?
« Last Edit: May 17, 2006, 05:15:27 pm by wmccall »
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Hot Tub Forum

New cover lifter
« on: May 17, 2006, 05:12:02 pm »

Zep

• Cal Spas SQ92 Dallas-Texas
Re: New cover lifter
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2006, 05:58:48 pm »
wmccall....

Thanks for the info on cover-lifters.

I just purchased this one and it has not arrived yet.

I hope it is going to be ok, I dont know
anything about lifters.

But I did need to get an under-mount.

Do you think this is decent quality?

[size=13]Undermount Versa Spa Cover Lift
[versalift]
[/size]

The New Versa mount spa cover lifter
requires no screws to attach to your spa or deck.

This is the perfect spa cover lifter if you have
a non-wood skirt because it requires no drilling
or screwing into the hot tub's wooden skirt.

You simply slide the base plates under your spa
and the weight of your hot tub will keep your lifter
in place.

This is one of the easiest lifters to install on
the market today.

Fits on ALL Spa Models

- Simply Slide Under the Spa
 NO SCREWS on Cabinet

- NEW Powder Coated Textured Paint
 with UV Protector

- Aluminium Tubing-Steel Foot Pad

- Stainless Steel Hardware

- Protective Foam Handles

- Protective Caps for ALL Hardware

- Does not Hide the View

Space requirments:

Back 24"

Sides 5"

$149.99

http://www.thecoverguy.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=34_37&products_id=367

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2006, 08:07:08 pm »
I'll let you know what I think of my new one.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2006, 08:53:47 pm »
I have the CM III and it's mounted on the tub the same way you described your first lifter. The CM III has about 5 screws on each side holding it in and the bracket that holds it onto the tub is about 1 1/2 ft long. There are provisions for a second row of screws but I couldn't see where it would get mounted.

Funny thing is it states it's only good in winds up to 10 MPH; luckily I don't have a lot of wind in my location - I had never given it much thought.

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2006, 10:09:59 pm »
I hate to tell you Zep, but I think that lift (in your picture) is the samn knockoff brand as wmccall's first lifter.
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2006, 10:46:40 am »
I hate to tell you Zep, but I think that lift (in your picture) is the samn knockoff brand as wmccall's first lifter.

It may be a knockoff but you might save some $$ (that is, you might save on the first one you purchase).
« Last Edit: May 18, 2006, 10:53:22 am by Spatech_tuo »
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Zep

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2006, 11:36:25 am »
Dr Spa.....

Shoot I hope not.....but thanks for the tip.

Dr Spa do you know other makers of
"under mount - no screws" cover lifters?

I have the Cal Spa Cal Stone cabinetry
and prefer a no screws approach.

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2006, 11:48:25 am »
There's a few. Leisure Concepts makes the Covermate 2, Icon makes one (Walmart carries it), and there's at least one other (like the one you got) I don't know the manufacturer of (I know the owners of the site you purchased it from ,maybe I should call them and ask the brand?).

If you look on eBay all of them are there.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2006, 04:53:38 pm »
Its a beautiful Saturday afternoon here in Columbus, Ohio and I am now enjoying a nice spring breeze on my yard swing at the back of the yard. I'm sitting here on my laptop admiring my work of the day on the tub and yard.  I  got up this morning at 7:30 and finished draining the tub.  As soon as it was empty I got the under the spa mounts in place. I figured I could leave my current lifter in place while the tub filled.

No matter how many times I do this, it seems like I always forget something. I gave the tub a good scrub down when it was empty covering almost every inch and the pillows.  As the tub was filling I saw what I had forgotten.  Silver Maples  are common in our area and every other year they release seed pods that we call helicopters.  They are everywhere now and before that the buds were falling off at a fierce pace and they were hard to get out of the tub.  As it was filling I saw that I had forgotten to wipe of the 2 screen intakes so as it was filling the junk from there went back in the tub. I got in the seats and fished it out.   The tub filled in about 45 minutes and at 9:30 it was 58 degrees.  (87 now).  Just for giggles I tested the CYA level and the lowest it reads is 30, and that was the reading I got. I've only checked it before after a couple of months. This time I might check every week to see how fast it goes up.

I started putting the new Covermate II together. The directions are a little weak, so if you like to actually read through instructions before you start, this is a waste of time. But once you get it outside and in place, its pretty easy, except for hand tightening 18 self tapping screws. (Yes honey that is why my hands are sore!)   This lifter is anodized black rather than just painted aluminum, so it should weather better.  

It went together easy and seems solid.  The only flaw in putting it together after the tub is filled was you can't move the mounting brackets.  I placed them 8 inches from the back of the tub as directed. How that it is done, I think 7.5"-.7.75" would be perfect   I may move it on the next change, but it will be fine for now. I'm happy with it.  I bought it from Doc's site last week and had it here in time for this weekend's change.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2006, 04:57:40 pm by wmccall »

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2006, 10:33:26 pm »
You know I'm expecting pictures  ;D

And if you have a tripod, and can take a few in various shots as the cover is being opened, I can make a nice little animation  ;)

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2006, 04:39:38 pm »
You know I'm expecting pictures  ;D

And if you have a tripod, and can take a few in various shots as the cover is being opened, I can make a nice little animation  ;)

I'll see what I can do. I don't think any of my cameras allow multiple exposure though.

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2006, 04:55:05 pm »
You don't need multiple exposure: just take six or seven shots as you open the cover - Andy can make an animated jpeg/gif out of them.

Use a tripod if you have one, but I have done the exact same thing handheld and it came out ok.
8)
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

spaman-

• "ANYTHING GOES AS LONG AS ITS FUNNY"-SPATECH-
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2006, 05:01:06 pm »
Dr Spa.....

Shoot I hope not.....but thanks for the tip.

Dr Spa do you know other makers of
"under mount - no screws" cover lifters?

I have the Cal Spa Cal Stone cabinetry
and prefer a no screws approach.

I love that pic and would have gone with teh covermate III onthat spa and opened it towards the back. In pride of my buddy Dr Spa. Can we please delete the link in the post above.
-SpaMan~

Zep

« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2006, 11:18:08 pm »
re:I love that pic and would have gone with teh covermate III onthat spa and opened it towards the back

Spaman.....

I only have 21 inches between the tub
and my back fence....

That wouldn't be enough room would it?

I know I probably should of thought of that
when I had the pad poured.....but I didn't...

so I will probably have to go
with the lifter on the side....?

« Last Edit: May 21, 2006, 11:19:27 pm by Zep »

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2006, 10:39:45 am »
21" is enough romm for almost any cover lifter. The Covermate 3 only needs 6".

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2006, 10:39:45 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42