What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: What should I expect in a spa showroom?  (Read 8105 times)

Mendocino101

• Ultimate Member
  • never ask for what you are not willing to give
Re: What should I expect in a spa showroom?
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2006, 11:50:01 pm »
If there is something you want, ask. If they can not deliver, then it's their loss. Not every dealer has the luxury of a 3000+sg.ft. showroom, with every spa model and filled too. I think every dealer would like to show every spa. We do. Not everyone is filled, but give me a day or two and I'll fill up to 5 spas of your choice. It's what we'll do to get you into the spa that's right for you. Ask.

So let me get this straight if they want a model that's not on your floor and you have to order from California. What you are saying is that you will do so simply because they asked. I am just wondering but whats your lead time from California for ONE spa. And please know I am not suggesting that you not make every effort to service your customer but sometimes you can not do everything that someone would like as it is just not always realistic.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2006, 11:50:01 pm »

96SC

« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2006, 10:15:38 am »
From a dealers standpoint, if I did travel 200 miles to test soak a tub (you did have in stock and filled) then had a local, much smaller, dealer order the same tub for me, would you feel used?  I'm trying to find out what the courtesy protocal is in tub buying.  I'd hate to tick off the distant dealer in case I ever had to go back to them.  

Before I speak, I have something important to say--Groucho Marx

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
  • 30 Year HotSpring Spa Dealer
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2006, 10:37:54 am »
If a potential customer wants to wet test a spa that we don't have available, we will:

1.  Make the spa available for them.

If they don't buy it, we'll sell it to someone else.

Terminator
Just layin' low and chucklin' in my stomach wif' da fidgets...

Mendocino101

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2006, 11:12:50 am »
From a dealers standpoint, if I did travel 200 miles to test soak a tub (you did have in stock and filled) then had a local, much smaller, dealer order the same tub for me, would you feel used?  I'm trying to find out what the courtesy protocal is in tub buying.  I'd hate to tick off the distant dealer in case I ever had to go back to them.  

No not at all. I think that simply that is just a dealer to dealer courtesy as well as providing service to a customer. This is something that does not get mentioned enough, that being courteous and respectful  to your fellow dealer really should be common practice for any true professional. That person willing drive 200 miles is not "my" customer but I can certainly help out my fellow dealer which in turn ultimately is helping the buying experience for the customer and should be a positive reflection of the brand you represent.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2006, 11:37:34 am by Mendocino101 »

Mendocino101

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2006, 11:35:19 am »
If a potential customer wants to wet test a spa that we don't have available, we will:

1.  Make the spa available for them.

If they don't buy it, we'll sell it to someone else.

Terminator

Term with all respect when you say if you don't have it you will make it available. How do you do so ? I mean do you get in that spa fairy suit and wave the magic wand  ;).....I ask this only because I mentioned it before and no one commented on the real world practical side of just how long it takes to order a spa and get it in. I think most lead times run 2 to 6 weeks. If you have another location that has it great but what if you do not. And does any dealer here truly carry on thier floor every model that is available to them I am sure there must be some that do but I think most simply are not able to display every spa that they can order.

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
  • 30 Year HotSpring Spa Dealer
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2006, 11:56:24 am »
Term with all respect when you say if you don't have it you will make it available. How do you do so ?

I'm sorry for the brevity of my answer Mendo.  As you know, we've got this parking lot sale going and I am hit and miss on participating lately.

We have 3 stores, so we usually have all models available somewhere.  If they're not on the floor, we have them in the warehouse.  If we're sold out of a model, we will order more if someone's wanting to try one.  Typical lead time is 2 weeks between trucks.  Right now, we're ordering a truck per week.  If we have to, we've driven to Dallas, Texarkana, or Austin to get spas for our customers.

I'm not saying the way we do it is right or wrong.  It's just the way we do it.  That's all I was adding to the conversation.  I realize it's tough to do in situations where you only have one store.

Terminator
Just layin' low and chucklin' in my stomach wif' da fidgets...

Wisoki

• YEEEEEEhaw
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2006, 12:02:11 pm »
NOT EVEN, if a customer is going to drive 200 miles to wet test my spa because their "local" dealer does not have that model in stock, I am going to do everything in my power to write the deal in my store. It is neither a museum nor a play ground. It's a retail store where we stay open by selling to people that walk into our doors. If that other dealer didn't have the sense to ask for a refundable (upon wet test approval) commitment and get the spa in so the customer could wet test it, then he's lost that customer. If i can sell them, you damn sure bet I'm going to. I don't do this to be friendly with my distant competitors, I do it to make money, I make money by selling.

No not at all. I think that simply that is just a dealer to dealer courtesy as well as providing service to a customer. This is something that does not get mentioned enough, that being courteous and respectful  to your fellow dealer really should be common practice for any true professional. That person willing drive 200 miles is not "my" customer but I can certainly help out my fellow dealer which in turn ultimately is helping the buying experience for the customer and should be a positive reflection of the brand you represent.

If you like it and you want it BUY IT!

Mendocino101

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2006, 12:29:17 pm »
Thats where I would disagree if a dealer who was 200 miles away called me and asked for the favor ...I would work with them...down the road I may need a favor...

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2006, 12:30:33 pm »
That's a very good question. I have all the models on the floor, three runnning, and I will move them around and fill/heat them if somebody wants to test a particular one. That would take a day or two to get the delivery crew scheduled and so forth if a spa has to be moved. If all I have to do is move the power, I can do it in 10 minutes, and pump the water over at the same time. I am a big proponant of wet testing, and I have put my money where my mouth is.

We just moved into a much larger location, and I had to install all new electrical. I put in yet enough drops on our showroom floor so we now have a total of three positions on the floor where we can run 220v spas. A fourth is going in soon: the box is already in and only needs the breakers and flex conduit installed. That is in addition to two 110v 20A outlets with a third roughed in.

We also have a long 110/220v pigtail in the warehouse which is primarily for water testing used spas before they go out. Although I have yet to do so, that set-up could easily be used in a pinch to heat up a new spa if somebody is in a huge rush. I can pull a spa off the shelf with the forklift, set it on the warehouse floor, hook it up and then transfer hot water into it from a wet spa on the showroom. That could be done in around 20 minutes, IF I have time to work on it right then.

I will openly say that if a customer comes in to wet test in our store, I conisder that person 'our' customer from that moment on. If there is any way I can service the spa - in other words if I think I can get them serviced or send our own service guys the distance after the sale - I will offer to write it up on the spot. If they live in another state or something, I will try to get them to wet test a spa we already have hot and bubbling - and work with them to get as much info about the model they want to buy. If they really want to soak in the exact model I will do my brother dealer a favor and let them wet test by moving water or spas. I have yet to have that happen - that I know of, although I have handed many dollar's worth of literature out and spent many hours of time laughing and chatting with people who are on vacation and just decided to stop in and look at spas. I actually don't mind that a bit, provided I'm not swamped with local shoppers, because it takes the pressure off all the way around and I can simply give out information. You might have guessed by now that I enjoy what I do and I enjoy talking with folks too.

I consider this to be the minimum level of service to a customer: if they want to wet test something, I will do what I have to so they can. And once I have done that, I would expect that they would not consider buying elsewhere.

Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Wisoki

• YEEEEEEhaw
« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2006, 01:14:36 pm »
Not the same brand anyhow. Considering my surrounding competition for the same brands I sell, over in Ohio, selling Caldera, is a big box store called @$#@, who's focus is sell at any price and shove the service up yer @$$, same with the local one of the same name, that sells artesian and cal spas. As for the surrounding area Jacuzzi competition, I get calls from IL, and OH ALL the time for service, I have no "brethren" that I feel any loyalty to, I got no problem writing the deal here and delivering and servicing there.

And once I have done that, I would expect that they would not consider buying elsewhere.

Mendocino101

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2006, 01:48:45 pm »
in the case thats mentioned 200 miles away is a hike and while it is very easy to want the business today the service of tomorrow might be a tougher act to follow not that its impossible but it presents itself with some genuine concerns. I want to earn the business of everyone who walks in our door....But If a another dealer asked for my help and was above board about things I think being a gentleman does work for me.....I can appreciate that sometimes circumstances are what they are....

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2006, 02:19:11 pm »
But If a another dealer asked for my help and was above board about things I think being a gentleman does work for me..

That's another story. I have never had another dealer call me and ask to send a customer for a wet test.

I have had them ask if I have certain spa in stock - not a problem. We swap from time to time.

I have had them ask if I will service a spa they sold in my territory - problem.
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

96SC

« Reply #27 on: May 20, 2006, 02:21:54 pm »
in the case thats mentioned 200 miles away is a hike and while it is very easy to want the business today the service of tomorrow might be a tougher act to follow not that its impossible

This is what I'm afraid of happening, not buying from my local dealer who doesn't have what I want then having a problem with a distant dealer, who I purchased the spa from, in having my warrented or unwarrented repairs serviced.
Before I speak, I have something important to say--Groucho Marx

Wisoki

• YEEEEEEhaw
« Reply #28 on: May 20, 2006, 02:33:14 pm »
Life's a crap shoot.

hottub.pool_boy

• New England's oldest HotSpring Dealer- 1983
« Reply #29 on: May 20, 2006, 02:42:06 pm »
We show every spa. Not everyone is filled. But we will fill anything you want to try.
If another dealer sent someone to my store to look at a spa they did not have, guess what...I may sell the spa to them.
OEM HotSpring Stuff & SpaGuard Chemicals Online

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #29 on: May 20, 2006, 02:42:06 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42