What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Sore muscles and hottub therapy  (Read 8704 times)

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
Re: Sore muscles and hottub therapy
« Reply #30 on: May 19, 2006, 07:51:18 am »
anyone ever try a cold dip after a hard workout ?  I think it was mentioned on this site about some the pro football teams having several tubs, some cool and some hot.  The closest i've done is, work out - pool 70*- hot tub 100 and back a forth several times.  My recovery time was much faster and muscles were less sore.  I also remember my basketball days and sprained ankles.  The trainer would always have me soak it in ice water followed by a hot soak and alternate several times.  I think in general the cold reduces the swelling and the bodys release fluids that cause swelling then the hot increases the blood flow to promote healing.  Some expert please chime in.

I use to belong to a gym that had an ice pool. It was about the size of a one person spa, perhaps 48" in diameter and maybe 36" deep, they kept it around 40F I was told.  I tend to get inflamation in my shoulders and there are times it would feel good.  5 seconds in there and the pool then felt great.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #30 on: May 19, 2006, 07:51:18 am »

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #31 on: May 19, 2006, 08:36:05 am »
It's weird, I have arthritis in my back, neck and hands, probably the result of Lyme disease. The tub has been fantastic for my back and neck, but my finger joints are still swolen and painful. I found by accident that they feel so much better and work better in a cold soak.  I was actually washing gravel for my fish tanks in the winter. The well water was in the 40's and the gravel felt like little pieces of ice, but my fingers felt great!  :-/
Support your dealer so they can support you!

TN__HOT_TUB

• Owner of  an Artesian Island Grand Cayman
« Reply #32 on: May 19, 2006, 09:08:19 am »
I use to belong to a gym that had an ice pool. It was about the size of a one person spa, perhaps 48" in diameter and maybe 36" deep, they kept it around 40F I was told.  I tend to get inflamation in my shoulders and there are times it would feel good.  5 seconds in there and the pool then felt great.

Ice (cold water, etc.) is typically recommened therapy immediately after working out and trauma.  It does help with the swelling (and numbs the pain).

However, warmer temperatures help relax the muscle and are usually prescribed as treatment a day or two after the inury and/or as a way to alleviate some of the soreness.

I think most will agree that warm treatment is more pleasant than ice baths and ice packs, but i too enjoy "shock" treatments.  Going immediately from warm temps to cold temps (sauna/spa to pool).
Artesian Island Grand Cayman

spahappy

• Mind body and soul therapy right in my backyard.
« Reply #33 on: May 19, 2006, 12:22:57 pm »
Hi Spahappy
Glad to hear you are keeping in shape
Regards, Zz

Hi Zz,

I was just thinking about you the other day! Glad to see you're still lurking. You should pop in more often...

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #33 on: May 19, 2006, 12:22:57 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42