What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Common Newbie Chemical mistakes  (Read 10535 times)

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
Re: Common Newbie Chemical mistakes
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2006, 08:33:23 am »
To clarify the clarifier issue:

Bright and Clear or other clarifiers generally have labels printed with directions telling the consumer to add a dose two times a week. That will offer your dealer's with great options of colleges to send their kids, but I don't recommend following those instructions.

Overdoing the B&C can really load up the filters and waterline with gunk, more so in a spa with a good ozone system.

Save the clarifier for rare, occasional use, and be ready to wipe down the wateline as it does it's job and pulls gunk out of the water. You may even need to clean the filters if the water was heavily oiled.
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2006, 08:33:23 am »

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2006, 08:54:41 am »
The other issue we've seen  here is people adding the wrong ammounts.    ::)  Too much dichlor or PH up.  

Read the label. KNow the dosage.
07 Caldera Geneva

sandiego

• Caldera Spa Dealer for 30 years
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2006, 09:56:29 am »

To clarify the clarifier issue:

Bright and Clear or other clarifiers generally have labels printed with directions telling the consumer to add a dose two times a week. That will offer your dealer's with great options of colleges to send their kids, but I don't recommend following those instructions.

Overdoing the B&C can really load up the filters and waterline with gunk, more so in a spa with a good ozone system.

Save the clarifier for rare, occasional use, and be ready to wipe down the wateline as it does it's job and pulls gunk out of the water. You may even need to clean the filters if the water was heavily oiled.

That's what I thought as well....

In general you want to use the least amount of chemicals to keep your spa sanitized. The more stuff you put in there, the more you spend and the harder it becomes to take care of the water. The chemicals don't disappear they just dissapate into the water so if you think of it this way, when you first fill the tub it 100% water, then by month one it's say 99% water, then by month 4 it could be 90% water and that's why we tell people to drain the spa, you keep adding chemicals to the spa and it  becomes harder and harder to take care of the water the longer you stay with the same batch up of the tub.

In general all you need it your sanitizer, some shock, stain and scale control and adjust PH as needed. There are other times when you might use Bright and Clear, or PH blanace or Enzyme but in general you are just using your main things every week. and if you get behind a little dichlor every now and then never hurts....

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2006, 11:02:48 am »
To quote the Good Doctor Spa,

"Water is the cheapest chemical you can add to your tub"    8)
07 Caldera Geneva

anne

« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2006, 11:21:34 am »
Thanks for the clarifier clarifier. ;) I definitely over used it in my first month (it worked!) but now I just keep it on hand for emergency use. So far no need.

If it will gunk up my filter, and the majority of the gunk goes to the surface, then would this be a way to use it- Add small amount, use the venturi bubbler to agitate the water to mix it all in, than skim the top without running the filter? Or is that just a weird idea?
Dance like nobody's watching

Mendocino101

• Ultimate Member
  • never ask for what you are not willing to give
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2006, 11:36:21 am »
I am not sure how much Bright and clear costs. but Sea Klear gets used 1 ounce once a week  or about 3 bottles per year.....Not enough to put your kid though college but just maybe a bus ride or two.... ;)

SeaKlearŪ Natural Clarifier got its name because it was originally used by the U.S. Navy to clear seawater for underwater photography. Environmentally safe, non-toxic, and biodegradable, Natural Clarifier contains a natural ingredient, chitosan,that attracts organic debris that causes cloudiness in pool and spa/hot tub water. A floc or mass of organic material is formed and carried to the filter where it is more easily removed.

Each week, treat your water with Natural Clarifier specially formulated for pools or spas/hot tubs to improve water quality and clarity. With Natural Clarifier for Spas, use 1 ounce per 500 gallons of water, and with Natural Clarifier for Pools use 1 ounce per 5000 gallons of water.

Removes Excess Oil
Unlike other clarifiers, SeaKlear Natural Clarifier actually removes oils from the water. This unique patented technology works with any pool, spa, or hot tub system. Oils can be introduced when sunscreens, lotions or cosmetics are left behind in the water. Natural Clarifier works to encapsulate the oil molecules and holds them in suspension so the oil doesn't stick to pool and spa surfaces or filters. When filters are cleaned the oil is removed in the effluent. The filter stays cleaner and lasts longer.

Removes Stain-Causing Metals
The unique molecular shape and electrical charge of SeaKlear Natural Clarifier allow it to entrap and aggregate heavy metal particles, including manganese, copper and iron, that have already combined with microorganisms or algae spores. Therefore Natural Clarifier does not interfere with metal ions from ionizers and mineral-based purifiers. In fact, Natural Clarifier enhances these systems by removing the non-essential stain-causing metals. One gallon of Natural Clarifier formulated for pools removes 1 part per million (ppm) of metal in 20,000 gallons of water.

Improves Filtration
Because the Natural Clarifier polymer is a loose net molecule, it actually forms a subsurface over filters that helps remove organic debris and hold it above the filter media. Filters stay cleaner and work more efficiently.

A Natural Compatible Formula
SeaKlear Natural Clarifier is compatible with all sanitizing systems including: Ozone, Ionization, and Biguanide, and either Bromine or Chlorine systems. The main ingredient in Natural Clarifier is chitosan, a safe non-toxic fiber similar to cellulose that grabs suspended particles and removes them from the water.

« Last Edit: May 16, 2006, 12:35:41 pm by Mendocino101 »

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2006, 12:33:58 pm »
The other issue we've seen  here is people adding the wrong ammounts.    ::)  Too much dichlor or PH up.  

Read the label. KNow the dosage.

Hey, you can NEVER use too much dichlor! ;D

And, I use Sea Klear on a weekly basis - 1 oz per week.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2006, 12:36:06 pm by Vinny »

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2006, 02:14:19 pm »
To quote the Good Doctor Spa,

"Water is the cheapest chemical you can add to your tub"    8)

With all due respect, I do believe that quote should be attributed to The Chas.

8)

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2006, 02:24:34 pm »
The other issue we've seen  here is people adding the wrong ammounts.    ::)  Too much dichlor or PH up.  Read the label. KNow the dosage.
Yes yes yes !!

For the best results, get a stinkin' MEASURING CUP !

You will really save yourself time and aggravation  - a three ounce plastic measuring cup is about right. Baqua dealers should all have them on the shelf.

Doubles as a sample cup....

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2006, 02:44:26 pm »
With all due respect, I do believe that quote should be attributed to The Chas.

8)

mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa.

Folks, it was "The Chas" (it's "the chas" now? oh brother  ::) ) who uttered the unforgetable words.  "Water is the cheapest chemical you can add to your tub".

I belive it was also Chas...excuse me "The  Chas" who said.  

"always drink upstream of the heard".

;D
07 Caldera Geneva

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2006, 02:50:50 pm »
 ;)

anne

« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2006, 11:15:48 pm »
Improves Filtration
Because the Natural Clarifier polymer is a loose net molecule, it actually forms a subsurface over filters that helps remove organic debris and hold it above the filter media. Filters stay cleaner and work more efficiently.

Like diatomaceous earth?
Dance like nobody's watching

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2006, 11:15:48 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42