What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: As promised, more questions  (Read 3665 times)

96SC

As promised, more questions
« on: May 15, 2006, 12:08:26 pm »
I went to a local spa dealer to look at their Sundance and L.A. Spa, spas.  They were pushing Outback spas.  Does anyone have an opinion of them?

Is there a big difference in filtering between the L.A. Spa 'sock' and cartridge filters.  I see in other posts some cartridge filters run up to $95, while the 'sock' is, supposedly, washable and reusable.

I think I know the answer to this but am going to 'run it up the flag pole' anyhow.  If I am intersted in spa 'A' from company 'AA' but the dealer only has spa 'B' from company 'AA', could I do a wet-test in 'B' and get a good comparison as I would have had I wet-tested in 'A'?  My guess in no.
Before I speak, I have something important to say--Groucho Marx

Hot Tub Forum

As promised, more questions
« on: May 15, 2006, 12:08:26 pm »

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
Re: As promised, more questions
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2006, 02:23:32 pm »
for those interested here's Outback spas.

http://www.ppnspa.com/component/option,com_frontpage/Itemid,1/

See if they will toss in a Bloomin onion.  :)

As far as Tub "A" is concerend from dealer "AA" but only has tub "B" from dealer "AA"  I haven't a clue what you are talking about.  

You can name names.   ;)  and I would wet test the same model as I was interested in. Not one similliar. Seating, depth, postioning of the jets, all vary.  

« Last Edit: May 15, 2006, 02:24:33 pm by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

96SC

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2006, 02:44:49 pm »
There was no particular spa company, the dealer has 4 spas on the floor (one with water).  For example if I wanted a Sundance Cameo and the dealer had a Maxxus or Palermo with water, (no Cameo in stock) is there a way I could wet-test one of those two to make a decent comparison to a Cameo.  

Thanks for the Outback spa info.  My son works for the other Outback, mate.  I hope he brings several 'sheilas' when we do get a spa.  
Before I speak, I have something important to say--Groucho Marx

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2006, 02:55:57 pm »
Well  with the sundance models you mentioned, personaly I'd say "no"
they are all different sizes,  holding different volumes of water, with different numbers of jets,  pumps, and seating. (one has a lounger, one a footdome, etc).

If you are going to wet test,  I personally think you need to wet test that particulair tub for the right "fit".  

This sock filtration. I couldn't find anything on the web. What can you tell us about it?

I can't imagine a sock thingy being superior to a pleated filter. There has got to be a lot less surface area with a sock, as well as depth to the media, and the ability to trap and hold particles a-la the pleats.  Hopefully one of the spas experts will wander in and tell you what's what.

07 Caldera Geneva

anne

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2006, 04:44:46 pm »
When I wet tested Caldera spas, I was interested in a new model, the Moorea. The dealer had one in to see, but no water in it. He pointed out the other models and each of the seats that was analogous to the Moorea seats. The moulding and jet arrangements were identical seat to seat between models. I was able to see how each of the seats "would" feel in the Moorea, but it was a little distracting to get in on out of different models, and the foot area was not the same. On a second visit, I sat in the "real" thing, and though it was not that different than I expected, it was definitely a better way to wet test.

I wet tested 2 LA spa models, and unlike Caldera, their seats and loungers (depth, exact seating angles, etc) are not analogous in most tubs, so you'd really have to sit in the one you planned to buy. The dealer was clear about this, as I had the same question as you.

Also, some tubs will have 1 vs 2 vs 3 pumps, which would change the way the diverters work, and the power of the jets, I assume.

Good luck!

Dance like nobody's watching

tootsie

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2006, 01:02:31 pm »
I have an LA  with the sock filters, and my water is crystal clear.  I have never had the pleated filters so I don't know what the difference is there, but I believe they work.

one of the advantages of the socks is you just take them off pop them in the washing machine with some bleach, do other things, take them out of the washer and put them back on.  You don't have to worry about rinsing, soaking, foamy chemicals and all that fun stuff.  cost wise I have 3 @ $20.00-$30.00/each so depending on how many filters are in the other tubs I don't know if they are that much cheaper to replace.
but bleach is a lot cheaper than any of the other filter cleaners.

Skellman

• There's more horses asses than there are horses!
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2006, 01:12:20 pm »
I agree with Drewstar.
I'd try to wet-test the exact tub you want.
During my search for a tub I noticed a Sundance Majesta. They didn't have one to wet-test so I just sat in it. As for myself, a dry-test is not a true experience of how the tub might feel. So, I wet-tested the next model up which was an Optima. I loved the Optima. Naturally it's more expensive. :'(

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2006, 01:12:20 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42