What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Outdoors in Florida = bugs!  (Read 10897 times)

Chemmie

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Outdoors in Florida = bugs!
« on: May 12, 2006, 07:40:23 am »
I have one week to go before I get to enjoy my Tiger River Caspian.  I am very excited.
Our new hot tub is going to be in our backyard in Orlando, which has a ton of tropical vegitation.  We have a small gazebo type thing around the hot tub, but there are no screens to protect us from the bugs (ie. evil mosquitos).
I was just wondering if anyone had some good ideas for keeping the bugs away while we are in the hot tub and not totally submerged.
Bug zapper?
Citronella?

What seems to work best, or does the heat from the water keep some of them away?  Any advice?

Hot Tub Forum

Outdoors in Florida = bugs!
« on: May 12, 2006, 07:40:23 am »

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
Re: Outdoors in Florida = bugs!
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2006, 09:54:04 am »
I have one week to go before I get to enjoy my Tiger River Caspian.  I am very excited.
Our new hot tub is going to be in our backyard in Orlando, which has a ton of tropical vegitation.  We have a small gazebo type thing around the hot tub, but there are no screens to protect us from the bugs (ie. evil mosquitos).
I was just wondering if anyone had some good ideas for keeping the bugs away while we are in the hot tub and not totally submerged.
Bug zapper?
Citronella?

What seems to work best, or does the heat from the water keep some of them away?  Any advice?

You are going to love the Caspain.  8)  

Bug zappers don't really kill mosiquitos.  I use a couple of tiki tourches with citronella oil and it works "ok" (in a wooded yard, in the NorthEast).  

On the deck I use several of the OFF  lanterns (candle with an insert) I have very good luck with these, but they really only last one or two nights . Refills packs are $4.00 for 4 units.  The candle heats up the treate pad, and release a skeeter deterant.  

I have been hearing more and more good things about the mosquito magnets (the propane fuled catchers).  The trick is to catch the skeeters before they breed.     They cover about .5 - 1 acre.  IF you have close neigbors  you could always talk them into buying one.  ;)

I have also seen several very nice, high end pergolas from Plow and Hearth, that have mosqito netting.  Maybe some off lanterns and the netting closed would work for you?

« Last Edit: May 12, 2006, 09:58:41 am by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

water@104

• Sitting here doing what i do best!
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2006, 10:28:54 am »
up here in southern NH, we use a mosquito magnet. It seems to be working. i jbought it towards the end of last summer and it seemed to make a difference. we also use the tikki torches

anne

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2006, 10:58:23 am »
I have also heard good things about mosquito magnets, but have no expereince.

I'd advise against a bug zapper: Drewstar is right. Bug Zappers kill mostly harmless and beneficial bugs, some of whom might even eat mosquitos, or at least help ypur garden. Bug zappers rely on an insect's attraction to light, but mosquitos are attracted to CO2 that we exhale. So one way to hide from them is just not to breathe, but I guess that is not too realistic.

Congrats on the tub!!!
Dance like nobody's watching

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2006, 11:04:48 am »
I have also heard good things about mosquito magnets, but have no expereince.

I'd advise against a bug zapper: Drewstar is right. Bug Zappers kill mostly harmless and beneficial bugs, some of whom might even eat mosquitos, or at least help ypur garden. Bug zappers rely on an insect's attraction to light, but mosquitos are attracted to CO2 that we exhale. So one way to hide from them is just not to breathe, but I guess that is not too realistic.

Congrats on the tub!!!

I didn't say I didn't use zappers. (I have 2,  1 acre units  on the perimeter. )  I live in the woods, and without them, the yard would be unliveable.  I am torn about using them, but even the good bugs swarm to the house lights... I have bat houses, zappers, candles, tourches, sprays, lanterns.  I am thinkning on investing in the magnet as well.   I understood the first few  year models had some problems, but I think they changed the ignitor, and I have been told that if store them in the winter correctly and blow out the lines, they work  very well.  I'm about ready to buy one.....
« Last Edit: May 12, 2006, 11:09:57 am by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2006, 11:30:51 am »
We don't have problems with skeeters in my yard. Lucky too, because my husband reacts to insect bites. I make a point to be sure anything that can hold rain water is dumped....right after a rain (and Drew that means your pool cover). I also have a koi pond and I honestly believe it draws the skeeters to lay eggs and the fish eat them. This is a far out idea (as most of mine are) but what if you used a fan to blow across the tub while you were soaking? It would cool you off a bit in the summer and the darn skeeters couldn't fly close enought to get on you. :-/..Ok, it's a dumb idea...but something I would try ;)
Support your dealer so they can support you!

water@104

• Sitting here doing what i do best!
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2006, 11:35:24 am »

I didn't say I didn't use zappers. (I have 2,  1 acre units  on the perimeter. )  I live in the woods, and without them, the yard would be unliveable.  I am torn about using them, but even the good bugs swarm to the house lights... I have bat houses, zappers, candles, tourches, sprays, lanterns.  I am thinkning on investing in the magnet as well.   I understood the first few  year models had some problems, but I think they changed the ignitor, and I have been told that if store them in the winter correctly and blow out the lines, they work  very well.  I'm about ready to buy one.....

Drewstar, one suggestion for you, when you do buy the magnet. i would buy a second propane tank. you never want to run out of propane. i have the 1 acre unit and one tank last about 21 days.

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2006, 11:45:23 am »
Good advice from Bonnie ( I like the fan idea)  :D And yup. I get the pool cover off Asap, for just the very reason.  A koi pond....Hmmm. My cats would love that.  ;)

Yea Water104, Its time to buy a real mosquito deterant. Extra propanes tanks are always great idea.  
;)
« Last Edit: May 12, 2006, 11:46:39 am by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

hymbaw

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2006, 11:56:42 am »
People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they're not on your road doesn't mean they've gotten lost.

shabba34

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2006, 12:05:00 pm »
Here's an option...http://www.mosquitonix.com/

Chemmie

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2006, 12:34:26 pm »
Gotta look into the mosquito magnet thing...

My wife doesn't have any problem with mosquitos, but something about me attracts them like crazy.  If I go outside at night, in a matter of minutes I am itching and scratching with all of the bites, while she has none.  I guess I'm just too sweet...  ;D

Anoroc

« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2006, 03:32:55 pm »
I experience the same problem Chemie.  It is sort of interesting to stand in a group and I am the only one complaining about the skeeter bites.

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
  • 30 Year HotSpring Spa Dealer
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2006, 03:41:48 pm »
Simply look to Coleman for the answers...is there anything they can't do? :)

The Coleman Mosquito Deleto

Terminator
Just layin' low and chucklin' in my stomach wif' da fidgets...

Bill_Stevenson

• Hot Spring Envoy
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2006, 05:05:05 pm »
Screen in your gazebo.  There is no better solution than screened enclosures.  

Bill in West Palm Beach who knows the deal.  :-)

TN__HOT_TUB

• Owner of  an Artesian Island Grand Cayman
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2006, 07:46:57 pm »
How about a snorkel?  That way you can completely submerge in the tub.  ;D
Artesian Island Grand Cayman

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2006, 07:46:57 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42