What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Problems with Chlorine Tablets  (Read 10986 times)

Anoroc

Problems with Chlorine Tablets
« on: May 15, 2006, 12:38:27 pm »
Hey all- as some of you know I am waiting for my Vanguard to be delivered.  I was talking to someone the other day who is associated with the dealer and he was telling my that I should consider using the chlorine tablets in a floater.  It makes everything so much easier.

When I challenged him on it based on warranty voidance and that I had heard that it was not good for the spa he stated that it works well and its a bit of a secret because every dealer wants to sell more chemicals.

Can someone refresh my memery on why tablets are not good for the spa?

Thanks in advance...
« Last Edit: May 15, 2006, 12:40:45 pm by anaroc »

Hot Tub Forum

Problems with Chlorine Tablets
« on: May 15, 2006, 12:38:27 pm »

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
Re: Problems with Chlorine Tablets
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2006, 12:40:22 pm »
The great thing about Dichlor granualrs is you use only what you need by adding to the tub after you use it.  You avoid having to mess with adjusting the floater feed and soaking in chlorinated water.

07 Caldera Geneva

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2006, 12:40:49 pm »
pH issues.

Go to spa chemical manufacturer's sites.  They have some of the best info.
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2006, 01:01:49 pm »
I don't believe Dichlor comes in tablets. Its probably Tri-chlor which is for pools and will void many warranties.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2006, 01:11:14 pm »
I don't believe Dichlor comes in tablets. Its probably Tri-chlor which is for pools and will void many warranties.

Didn't Backpaines say in this thread she also had Dichlor tabs?

http://www.whatsthebest-hottub.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=wtb-hottub;action=display;num=1146593068;start=15
« Last Edit: May 15, 2006, 01:13:38 pm by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

Bill_Stevenson

• Hot Spring Envoy
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2006, 02:35:32 pm »
Floaters and tablets for spas are bromine  based.  Maybe that is what he means?  In any case, you should not use trichlor in a spa, which is the only tablet form of chlorine available commercially.  Trichlor is for pools and you would have trouble controlling free chlorine and pH in a spa if you attempted to use this form of sanitizer.  I am reasonably sure that HS, as well as most spa manufacturers, would void your warranty if you were to use trichlor.

Over and above that, using dichlor is simplicity itself.  Much the easiest of all sanitation methodologies.

Bill

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2006, 03:16:21 pm »
Chas, IIRC,  has stated that in addition to the warranty issues of using chlorine tabs (trichlor) in a spa, the constant release of chloring from the floater will trash the cover and any pillows pretty quickly.  And I believe him.  

It's either bromine tabs, or trichlor tabs.  
Anyone actually seen dichlor in tablet form?  
Brewman

Anoroc

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2006, 03:17:37 pm »
Thanks, just checking.  I sort of surprised that some suggest it.

I will stick with my regular routine of Dichlor granules.

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2006, 04:57:25 pm »
Thanks, just checking.  I sort of surprised that some suggest it.

I will stick with my regular routine of Dichlor granules.

Emerald Spas used to (may still do) recommend trichlor in their tubs. When I was interested in them I e-mailed that direct question and they said yes. They may be the only manufacturer that recommends trichlor.

As you surmised, stick either with bronmine or dichlor.

The_real_Clown_Shoes

• Hot Spring Salesman since '05.
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2006, 07:38:55 pm »
Only chlorine tablets out there are Trichlor.  This raises several issues.

1)  Your CYA level will skyrocket.  CYA is something that hot tub owners don't really know about because with a cover it doesn't pertain to them- but trichlor tablets will feed in a chemical called cyanuric acid that helps stabilize the chlorine from being knocked out by the sun.  This will also hold any chloramines in the water that you may have and make them harder to break apart.

2)  Chlorine level will shoot through the roof if you do not use the tub regularly.  Trichlor TABLETS will constantly feed chlorine even if there is no water flow across them.  Couple this with your circ. pump and you've got a ton of chlorine being fed ALL the time.

3)  pH of 2.9 in trichlor tablets.  This will bottom out your alkalinity and your pH as well- wreaking havoc on all your equipment.  With Hot Spring you've got the "No Fault" heater, but I think they'll only replace it once free of charge.

Tri-chlor should only be used in the case of heavy operation with seasoned pool/spa vets. who monitor their chemical levels every single day.  It works well for some, but I wouldn't recommend it if you held a gun to my head.

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2006, 07:47:29 pm »
Only chlorine tablets out there are Trichlor.  This raises several issues.

1)  Your CYA level will skyrocket.  CYA is something that hot tub owners don't really know about because with a cover it doesn't pertain to them- but trichlor tablets will feed in a chemical called cyanuric acid that helps stabilize the chlorine from being knocked out by the sun.  This will also hold any chloramines in the water that you may have and make them harder to break apart.

3)  pH of 2.9 in trichlor tablets.  This will bottom out your alkalinity and your pH as well- wreaking havoc on all your equipment.  With Hot Spring you've got the "No Fault" heater, but I think they'll only replace it once free of charge.

Tri-chlor should only be used in the case of heavy operation with seasoned pool/spa vets. who monitor their chemical levels every single day.  It works well for some, but I wouldn't recommend it if you held a gun to my head.

Questions ... Is the % of CYA the same for dichlor and trichlor?

What is the PH of Bromine?  I thought the PH was low also.

I personally use dichlor but inquiring minds want to know!!

The_real_Clown_Shoes

• Hot Spring Salesman since '05.
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2006, 07:51:12 pm »
I'm not sure as the CYA % b/w tri and dichlor is different, but if you have a constantly feeding floater v. adding once a week you're bound to wind up with more in the tub.

Bromine's pH is low as well, but doesn't have as much of an addition of CYA- which is another pH and (more importantly) alkalinity lowering factor.

I'll look into it... pretty sure I can find the answer in one of my CPO manuals.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2006, 07:51:12 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42