What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: First Drain  (Read 2950 times)

luvmytub

• Just a completely ingnorant newbie owner, 05 Envoy
First Drain
« on: May 13, 2006, 08:58:58 pm »
We started draining for the first time, about 7 pm tonight.  Had no idea it would drain so SLOW!  Anyway, we are going to ditch the bromine, and try going the dichlor route, so we can see which method we like better.  Once we get the water out of the tub, do we need to do anything else before refilling, other than cleaning the shell and filters, to get rid of all of the bromine?  

I read through some of the older posts and saw some mention of "flushing" the jets, but I'm not sure what that involves.... ???

Thanks!
Go Bobby Labonte!  #43...Let's go racin'!

Hot Tub Forum

First Drain
« on: May 13, 2006, 08:58:58 pm »

hottub.pool_boy

• New England's oldest HotSpring Dealer- 1983
Re: First Drain
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2006, 09:34:29 pm »
just get most of the waterout and you'll be fine.
OEM HotSpring Stuff & SpaGuard Chemicals Online

luvmytub

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2006, 11:19:13 am »
Thanks, Hottubpoolboy!  We let it finish draining overnight, rinsed filters and put in dishwasher, I'm getting ready to wipe down the shell with Windex....then I guess we will be ready to start filling it up again.  

sandiego

• Caldera Spa Dealer for 30 years
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2006, 01:51:36 pm »
we always put "Spa Metal Gon" in all of our tubs when we refill them, so that it protects the metal components of your tub from rusting. But in San Diego we have very bad water, I thought everyone put Metal Gon in their tubs to start up, but maybe I am wrong.

luvmytub

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2006, 02:20:50 pm »
Not to worry!  I put a whole bottle in!  I am almost done running the jets for 30 minutes like the bottle said.  I checked ph/alk/hardness...with a test strip...a few minutes ago...and they all were within the "ok" range...so I guess next step will be adding my dichlor.  This has me stressed out for some reason.  

sandiego

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2006, 02:30:00 pm »
don't stess... that's for sure, if you make a mistake with your tub it's not the end of the world. It's not going to break

Dichlor is the easiest way to take care of the spa though, just put in your correct amount and you should be fine.

One other thing, if you are using spa defender (which we have to use here in san diego) don't add that the same day as you add the metal gon.

luvmytub

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2006, 02:44:21 pm »
Sandiego, you read my mind!  I was just coming back in to ask whether or not I add the Defender today or wait a week...Thanks!

sandiego

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2006, 02:57:40 pm »
you don't need to wait a week, wait 24 hours that should be plenty. Add it tomorrow so that you can make sure you won't get any buildup of calcium because once it's on there it can be a pain to get off

Remember you bought your spa to relax, so don't stress about it, taking care of the water should be simple, there are more than enough friendly folks on this site who can help you make it simple, but it shouldn't be that hard, just add your dicholor and the defender weekly and test is weekly and you'll be fine.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2006, 02:57:40 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42