What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Removing rust stains?  (Read 14129 times)

uncommonlytasty

• I love my cheep spa
Removing rust stains?
« on: May 02, 2006, 08:36:49 am »
I have rust stains everywhere!  I can easily wipe it off  most surfaces, but how do I clean the jets and other parts?  I was thinking of dumping in some iron out just before I drain the spa, but I don’t know what this might do to my heater.  Is there a way to safely remove the stains without removing and cleaning each jet individually?  

This is how I got the stains;  I have horrible well water with 7.5ppm iron and pH of 5.5.  I have a calcite filter to capture the red iron and raise the pH followed by a water softener to lower the hardness and filter the dissolved iron.  Normally I bypass the softener and fill the spa through the calcite filter.  My last fill must have been loaded with dissolved iron because after adding Spa Frog and shocking with OZ (MPS) my water turned totally brown.  I used Leisure Time metal gone while filling and still had this problem.  I added a second bottle of metal gone along with defender and bright and clear (not all at the same time) and it cleared up in about a day.  My water has remained clear since. I use defender every week but rust stains have formed all over the jets and other surfaces.  From now on I will fill through the softener and add calcium later.  

Hot Tub Forum

Removing rust stains?
« on: May 02, 2006, 08:36:49 am »

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
Re: Removing rust stains?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2006, 08:46:16 am »
I have a similar water set up as yours, Tasty, but my iron is much lower....usually. My last fill, I got a nasty plug of iron and as my footwell filled, it looked like ice tea. I added stain and scale and let that filter a good long while before adding ANY chlorine product. I currently use bromine in the frog. We have discussed many times on here why using only soft water is bad for your heater and jets, so maybe someone will commment.  I have also noticed from topping my swimming pool, if you draw the water slower, you tend to get less iron (I think maybe in deep wells the pump will draw the iron mess that settles in the lower part of the well if it is constantly running). My filters were rusty orange but my water was crystal clear. I also have a prefilter on my well that pulls gross particles before they reach my neutralizer or softener.  Good luck
Support your dealer so they can support you!

uncommonlytasty

• I love my cheep spa
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2006, 11:32:31 am »
I’m really only worried about how to get rid of the rust stains without hurting the heater or making any plastic parts become brittle.  I did a search through previous posts and believe that I understand how to prevent iron from becoming an issue in the future.  I will add the metal gone and then wait 48hrs before adjusting pH or adding any type of oxidizer.  If I fill the spa with softened water, I will bring the hardness back up with calcium booster.  I will also try drawing the water slower to prevent disturbing any iron that might be settled at the bottom of my well.  Thank you for your thoughts.

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2006, 09:43:47 pm »
T-Lady, are you also having a problem getting the iron stains off?
Support your dealer so they can support you!

hottub.pool_boy

• New England's oldest HotSpring Dealer- 1983
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2006, 09:44:39 pm »
with spa empty, wear gloves, eyewear, damp clothe, with a small amount of ph- sprinkled on it(dry acid), rub on stain, move to next stain rub on, go back to first stain and rub some more. works well. a little elbow gease needed somtimes.
OEM HotSpring Stuff & SpaGuard Chemicals Online

Tatooed_Lady

• Participating in the Witness Protection Program
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2006, 09:50:50 pm »
T-Lady, are you also having a problem getting the iron stains off?

Not yet, but it's only a month in. ;)  I've had a little "fogginess" on the chrome-y rings, but that wipes right off if you catch it early....same with any hard water ring or spotting on the shell.
RIP C-Rod

uncommonlytasty

• I love my cheep spa
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2006, 08:37:51 am »
Before I drained the tub yesterday I dumped a small amount of iron out into it.  It did not take long before all of the rust stains disappeared.  It worked perfectly!  At first I was worried about what it might do to the plastic and metal parts of the tub.  I have been using iron out for years in my water softener, washing machine, and dishwasher with no ill effects.  I also did some research on the iron out website before I felt comfortable using it in my spa.  I would not recommend using it all of the time, but if the need arises it is an option you might consider.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2006, 08:37:51 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42