What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Viking Spas Experience/ Comments  (Read 30791 times)

NittanyLion

• Fight on State...Roar Lions Roar!
Viking Spas Experience/ Comments
« on: May 09, 2006, 05:33:50 pm »
We have been looking at purchasing our first spa, at this time Viking spas Supreme (new model, not even on Viking's website yet) is looking to be the best value, 40-some jets, waterfall, cd player, LED perimeter mood lighting, delivery, cover, cover lifter, steps, for just around $6000 and 4yr no interest financing.  

Does anyone have experience with Viking spas?

The one key difference I see between it and the pricier models is that it only has one 5 HP pump, whereas other brands have two or more pumps, is that a big deal?

Also, what is a rough estimate of monthly cost to run the hot tub?

Hot Tub Forum

Viking Spas Experience/ Comments
« on: May 09, 2006, 05:33:50 pm »

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
  • 30 Year HotSpring Spa Dealer
    • I Love My Spa
Re: Viking Spas Experience/ Comments
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2006, 06:56:31 pm »
Welcome to the board! :)

I think that spa is priced higher than it should be to justify the 4 years of "interest free" offer.  Don't be fooled into thinking you're not paying "interest", you are.

No comments on the spa itself other than that they were in our market for about a year several years ago and now they're gone.

Good luck in your search.

Terminator
Just layin' low and chucklin' in my stomach wif' da fidgets...

The_real_Clown_Shoes

• Hot Spring Salesman since '05.
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2006, 07:16:53 pm »
Only had fleeting experience with Viking spas, mostly people in my area getting them from a friend of a friend etc.

If you're going to get it for four years interest free, ask them who they're getting their financing through.  Make sure they're not upping the cost of their spa to make up for their finance charge.

NittanyLion

• Fight on State...Roar Lions Roar!
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2006, 08:01:43 am »
As for the financing, not sure we'll go with it, but they said they'll knock off $400 if we pay cash, so maybe that's the up-charge for the financing.

Any thoughts on the single pump?

Also, looks like most manufacturers we've seen like to tout the "Stainless steel jet escutcheons or bezels" but all I have closely inspected are chrome-looking plastic, not steel at all, and most are $150+ upcharge, seems like a rip-off to me.

mattNY

• '91 HS Highlife
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2006, 09:40:09 am »
If you do a search for Viking on this board, you'll find some past input.  http://www.whatsthebest-hottub.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?action=search2

I looked at them here locally and was seriously considering one early on in my search.  Personally, I thought the shells were sub-par, the warranty was lacking (did you get a copy of it to read through?), and the insulation looked pretty bad on the one they had open.  The salesman told me it would cost quite a bit more to operate per month than the other tubs, which steered me away from it especially in the climate I'm in.  I was almost willing to go with it anyway because it was so cheap (the Supreme I looked at didn't have a waterfall or CD player but was $3995 with cover, lifter, steps, delivery), but there are other options that I would investigate first now.  Hot Spot, Tiger River, Dimension1 @ Home series, and other "value" lines of brand name tubs have better quality and warranties, and especially in the $6000 range you really have quite a few options.  

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2006, 09:56:18 am »
I don't much bout viking spas.

However, a 5hp pump should have enough power  to have decent pressure...

With that said, it's not all about horse power.  I've learned that how a spa is plumbed, the seating and jet configuration are just as if not more important.    Actually a single speed 5 hp pump may not be comforatable at all.   My tubs has two pumps, one single 2 hp pump and one 2 speed 2 hp pump. Sometimes I don't want the pumps on both, and on high. It's nice to be able to choose.

I would strongly recomend that you wet test this spa, as well as wet test other spas by other manufactuers so you have something to compare it too.  there are many spas in your price range from many different makers. You've got some decent choices.

Select your tub from a position of knowledge and choice, not out of flash,. Know what you are getting (and not). If the viking is right for you, then comparing it to others will  make it clear.

At that price point, I think you are getting what appears to be a lot of features (steroe, waterfall,  peremeter lighting), but may be sacrificing something along the lines of quality construction,  and insulation.   For me, after taking a serious look at spas,  lighting,  music, wwaterfalls,  jet count and HP all became secondary.  Comfort, Quality, Price, and the Dealer became  the top items to balance.

:)
« Last Edit: May 10, 2006, 09:57:52 am by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2006, 09:56:18 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42