What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Filters  (Read 6036 times)

Buzzerd

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Filters
« on: May 06, 2006, 08:46:57 pm »
Hey all,
I'm pretty new to the spa world and I have a Tiger River Sumaltran.  How often do I change the filter?  I know I have to change the purifier every 4 months but what about the actual filter?  Also, any good places to purchase them?
Thanks in advance.
Buzz

Hot Tub Forum

Filters
« on: May 06, 2006, 08:46:57 pm »

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
Re: Filters
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2006, 09:16:40 pm »
Buy the filter where you bought the spa.

The thing should last for two or three years. More if you clean it with a filter cleaner once a year, maybe twice.

Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

hottub.pool_boy

• New England's oldest HotSpring Dealer- 1983
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2006, 10:18:00 pm »
ditto.
OEM HotSpring Stuff & SpaGuard Chemicals Online

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2006, 12:16:16 am »
Double ditto.  However, I have some customers replacing annually.
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

TN__HOT_TUB

• Owner of  an Artesian Island Grand Cayman
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2006, 03:31:33 pm »
How often should the filter be cleaned?
How do you clean the filters?
Is there a difference between cleaning the filters and rinsing them off?
Artesian Island Grand Cayman

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2006, 05:10:22 pm »

You should follow your manufacturer's and your dealer's recommendations.  The more you chemically clean them, the longer they will last.
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2006, 10:45:05 am »

Based on using the tub 2-3 times a week, I clean my filter once a month.   It's seems to be pretty mucn in line with what others are doing.   If you are using the tub more you might have to step it up and clean more often. If the tub is barely used, you might get away with cleaning less.  It wil be a bit of trial an error.

Cleaning is different than rinsing.  

Rinsing is just that, rinsing with water. This is good for removiing debris from the filter pleats and rinsing out any soap or that may have gotten absorbed by the material.

Cleaning is done with a filter cleaning soultion and will break down any grease and oil in the filter material (water wont do this).

I have a spare filter that I keep clean. When the filter in the tub is due for a cleaning, I plop the clean one in and take the dirty one out  and soak it over night in a bucket of water and filter cleaner.   I rinse the filter thoroughly with a hand held shower nozzle. Rinse, rinse, rinse.   I put it away for next month to switch out with the dirty one.

« Last Edit: May 08, 2006, 10:45:59 am by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

Drewski

• Artesian Piper Glen since 1999 in Beachtown, USA
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2006, 10:46:19 am »

Remembering a previous discussion??......??

Drewski

:P
It's a HOT tub... anything else is just a POOL!

Drewski

• Artesian Piper Glen since 1999 in Beachtown, USA
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2006, 10:53:56 am »
Hey all,
I'm pretty new to the spa world and I have a Tiger River Sumaltran...  Also, any good places to purchase them?
Buzz

Is this your filter?

Drewski

8)
It's a HOT tub... anything else is just a POOL!

The_real_Clown_Shoes

• Hot Spring Salesman since '05.
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2006, 07:16:38 pm »
What everyone else said.

Wait for your dealer to put filters on sale (most dealers tend to do this in April or October) and then get one or two of them.

Should cost you 100 bucks or so on a sale price, but it isn't like they're going to get any cheaper.

anne

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2006, 11:05:50 am »

The thing should last for two or three years. More if you clean it with a filter cleaner once a year, maybe twice.

Question: Are some filters more "disposable" than others? For example, there are the Micropure ones: truely NOT washable, just use for 3-5 months, toss out. And above Chas refers to ones that last a few years. The Unicel filter I have (at the moment) supposedly can be washed/rinsed a "few times" but is recommended to be tossed out and replaced after 2 tub fills, or 6-8 months.

Are these of different material? Not to dwell on micron ratings, but are some of these "better" than others?  
Dance like nobody's watching

hymbaw

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2006, 11:19:23 am »
The Unicel filter I have (at the moment) supposedly can be washed/rinsed a "few times" but is recommended to be tossed out and replaced after 2 tub fills, or 6-8 months. 

Anne,
Did your dealer tell you that? Remember he sells them ;) From my experience Unicel filters are as good as quality as an OEM filter. Clean (with filter cleaner/degreaser) once every 4 - 6 weeks and you should get 2 - 3 years.
People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they're not on your road doesn't mean they've gotten lost.

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2006, 11:20:33 am »

The Unicel filter I have (at the moment) supposedly can be washed/rinsed a "few times" but is recommended to be tossed out and replaced after 2 tub fills, or 6-8 months.

Anne,
I think that recommendation is probably coming from Unicel, the people who make the filters and want you to keep buying them. That filter should last you 2-4 years. It shouldn't be thought of as a disposable filter and there is no need to toss them away after 2 refills as you'll just be tossing $$ away if you do so.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

anne

« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2006, 11:24:42 am »
Well now that is awfully nice to know! Yes, the little insert that came with it said clean "as needed" ??? and my dealer said that the company recommends replacement after 2 tub-fulls.
Dance like nobody's watching

luvin_tubin_sqezin

• Kiss my cartoon butt!
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2006, 01:58:08 pm »

Anne,
I think that recommendation is probably coming from Unicel, the people who make the filters and want you to keep buying them. That filter should last you 2-4 years. It shouldn't be thought of as a disposable filter and there is no need to toss them away after 2 refills as you'll just be tossing $$ away if you do so.

LOL!  I agree....just like oil changes in your car.  When you go in and have it done, they mark down the next change in 3k miles when in reality it isn't needed that soon.  Every 5 or 6k is fine.  Same diff.
Better than I deserve...

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2006, 01:58:08 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42