What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Question for dealers of any type...  (Read 4083 times)

The_real_Clown_Shoes

• Hot Spring Salesman since '05.
Question for dealers of any type...
« on: May 08, 2006, 07:34:10 pm »
I, as most of you have probably surmised by now, am a Hot Spring dealer.  However, we're in a market that is so overly saturated with competitive brands that I could probably name 10-15 brands our chem customers have (not counting Internet whack-jobs).

I recently had a woman come in who has a four-year-old Catalina spa with a real wood cabinet.

She wants to trade it in for a Hot Spring.

Question is this- she doesn't seem to be the "I'll list it in the paper and sell it myself for more money" type.  How much should I give her for it in trade?  Should I tell her we'll dispose of it for free when there's normally a charge?  Let's just say she's deciding b/w Envoy and Sovereign for sake of argument (wants a loungered tub but is also one of those types that asks what she needs rather than tells what she wants- very "emotional" buyer if you're a Kool-Aid drinker).

Thoughts?

Hot Tub Forum

Question for dealers of any type...
« on: May 08, 2006, 07:34:10 pm »

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
Re: Question for dealers of any type...
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2006, 07:42:14 pm »
Unless you have a way to refurbish and sell as used tub, haul it away for free.

Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2006, 09:08:11 am »
I'm not a dealer, but when I was looking to purchase a new tub,  one dealer told me he would take the tub away for me, and when I mentioned I had a friend who might want it, he offered to deliver it to them .    I didn't buy a tub from him, but that offer to move the tub was very tempting for me.

07 Caldera Geneva

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
  • 30 Year HotSpring Spa Dealer
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2006, 09:36:58 am »
We offer the following in this situation:

1.  Offer a $400 credit towards purchase of a new spa

2.  Offer to move the spa to a new owner or dispose of it

If they just want the spa removed, we put it in the alley behind our warehouse.  When we come back the next day, it is usually gone.

Terminator
Just layin' low and chucklin' in my stomach wif' da fidgets...

hymbaw

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2006, 11:11:24 am »
We give $500 for the trade. Off list price, no negotiating after that. I do my best to convince them to put it in the paper or give it away. BTW - I have hooked up a couple of friends with sellers(cheap S.O.B.'s can't afford my stuff! ;D)
People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they're not on your road doesn't mean they've gotten lost.

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2006, 11:35:56 am »
Question is this- she doesn't seem to be the "I'll list it in the paper and sell it myself for more money" type.  How much should I give her for it in trade?  Should I tell her we'll dispose of it for free when there's normally a charge?  Let's just say she's deciding b/w Envoy and Sovereign for sake of argument (wants a loungered tub but is also one of those types that asks what she needs rather than tells what she wants- very "emotional" buyer if you're a Kool-Aid drinker).

Thoughts?

Here's the problem as I see it. Granted, she wants a new spa so the other one isn't perfect but being that it's only 4 yrs old IF it's operational I'd worry that the old "we'll haul it away for free" may be interpreted as "well take it for free and resell it and pocket extra money". Be careful you don't alienate her with that as many feel their old spa has a market. If it's running she would be able to sell it on Craig's list pretty easily. I'd make an offer like Term mentioned unless she admitts that it totally falling apart. Tough to say without looking at it but they move there pretty easily and quickly.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2006, 11:56:05 am »
We give $500 for the trade. Off list price, no negotiating after that. I do my best to convince them to put it in the paper or give it away. BTW - I have hooked up a couple of friends with sellers(cheap S.O.B.'s can't afford my stuff! ;D)

Why do I think someone with out a hot tub to trade would aslo be able to buy a spa from you at "$500 offlist"  ::) ;D ;)
07 Caldera Geneva

hymbaw

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2006, 11:57:41 am »
 ;)
People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they're not on your road doesn't mean they've gotten lost.

stuart

• Ultimate Member
  • Big hairy guys need hottubs too...
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2006, 12:00:42 pm »
We trade in spas a lot...In fact I believe that many times we get a deal the competition wouldn't because we are a bit more upfront and fair with their trade in spa.

I usually explain it to the customer like this;

1. When we pick up a used spa for resale we charge our company $150 per hour for 2 men, spa dolly, truck, insurance (both liability and workman’s comp), all tools and equipment.

2. Before we can resell the spa we fill and test it, replace pump seals and repair anything else that it might need.

3. We replace filters, head rests and typically the cover.

4. We re-stain the skirt and repair what wood we can

5. When the spa is complete we refill it and test it again

6.  The final costs we incur are chemical kit, commission to resell, labor for re-deliver to new customer and any warranty we give the spa.

All in all we have between $1000 and $1500 into a used spa before we give anything for trade. If we can make 20% or more above that and still give the customer money we do.

Most customers understand this when we explain it this way and don't expect much for trade in.

If the spa is not worth fixing up and reselling we figure that it costs us about $300 to remove and dispose of that spa with labor and trash fees. If the spa has good components that we can re-use like a new cover, pump or anything else we will credit that off of the $300.

The final thing that we offer the customer is that if they want to sell the spa or give it to someone else we will give them a discount on moving it and won't charge for the pick up time.

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2006, 12:02:50 pm »
;)

BUt I do understabd that you need to give the customer a sense of value.

Customer walks into spa dealer A "Do you take trade ins?"

"No, but I'l give  you a deal on a tub"

As opposed to Spa dealer "B"

"Sure, we take trades...."

Both dealers sell the tub for the same price. but the customer might be more willing to shop Dealer B.

;D ;D
07 Caldera Geneva

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2006, 12:04:42 pm »
;)

BUt I do understabd that you need to give the customer a sense of value.

Customer walks into spa dealer A "Do you take trade ins?"

"No, but I'l give  you a deal on a tub"

As opposed to Spa dealer "B"

"Sure, we take trades...."

Both dealers sell the tub for the same price. but the customer might be more willing to shop Dealer B.

;D ;D

I personaly like Stewarts options.
07 Caldera Geneva

hymbaw

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2006, 12:21:04 pm »
I don't play the games with pricing that a lot of dealers do. When I responded with  ;) to your question, you should know that I have $500 to move PERIOD. I explain to the customer that they will likely get more for it out in the marketplace. Like Stuart I will give a discount on a spa move to whomever buys the old spa. Bottom line.......I don't want your spa.

I've found that customers would prefer to use that $500 on steps, covermate, etc. and pocket the $$$ that he gets from the sale of his old tub. Unless you would prefer the dealer gets that $$$ ;D

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2006, 12:28:04 pm »
I don't play the games with pricing that a lot of dealers do. When I responded with  ;) to your question, you should know that I have $500 to move PERIOD. I explain to the customer that they will likely get more for it out in the marketplace. Like Stuart I will give a discount on a spa move to whomever buys the old spa. Bottom line.......I don't want your spa.

I've found that customers would prefer to use that $500 on steps, covermate, etc. and pocket the $$$ that he gets from the sale of his old tub. Unless you would prefer the dealer gets that $$$ ;D

I fully understand and agree with you.    
07 Caldera Geneva

Zep

• Cal Spas SQ92 Dallas-Texas
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2006, 12:40:57 pm »
RE: Offer to move the spa to
a new owner or dispose of it.

Terminator....ya think Costco does this?

LOL

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
  • 30 Year HotSpring Spa Dealer
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2006, 12:43:05 pm »
RE: Offer to move the spa to
a new owner or dispose of it.

Terminator....ya think Costco does this?

LOL

No sir, that's a good observation.  Actually, Costco just takes the orders.  Local dealers do the rest.

I wonder if anyone's bought one yet?

Terminator
Just layin' low and chucklin' in my stomach wif' da fidgets...

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2006, 12:43:05 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42