What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: N2- Drew or anyone?  (Read 2012 times)

anne

N2- Drew or anyone?
« on: May 07, 2006, 09:52:33 pm »
Srlollar's question about N2, and Drewski's recent posting about adding water got me thinking. This is what Drew said:

"Just a note on N2. An N2 cartridge is ONLY good for 1 tub of water. If you lose (remove then add) more than 1/3 of tub volume, N2 is no longer effective and you are wasting $. This is because the ionization process N2 uses is completed in the first 36 HRS after adding it to the water and the chemical change to the contents of the cartridge means it no longer has the capacity to treat "new" water. Keep this in mind if you go through water. "

So, then after 36 hrs, why do you keep the unit in the tub? Is it still doing something? Just curious- I dont plan to pull it out. I just refilled my tub 2 days ago. Gave the Metal Gon 2 days alone, then added N2 today. I'll be curious to see what it is like compared to no N2 for my first month.
Dance like nobody's watching

Hot Tub Forum

N2- Drew or anyone?
« on: May 07, 2006, 09:52:33 pm »

hottub.pool_boy

• New England's oldest HotSpring Dealer- 1983
Re: N2- Drew or anyone?
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2006, 10:21:18 pm »
Could use a FreshStart Pre-Filter and add the initial dose of N2 as you fill the spa. It's a HotSpring thing.
OEM HotSpring Stuff & SpaGuard Chemicals Online

anne

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2006, 10:36:36 pm »
Could use a FreshStart Pre-Filter and add the initial dose of N2 as you fill the spa. It's a HotSpring thing.

I'm not sure I understand what you are recommending. N2 initial dose? How is it "dosed"?

Are you suggesting the pre-filter over metal gon? I'd consider that if it does the same job. $50 to filter 10,000 gal...thats 25 tubs of water for me.....only $2 per water change. Metal Gon=$6. Considering that is $4 difference over a few months, obviously I'd use whichever does the best job. Does the filter remove all the things that Metal Gon is sequestering, or should I use them together? Simpler would be better.......

Drewski

• Artesian Piper Glen since 1999 in Beachtown, USA
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2006, 09:56:07 am »
Hi anne:

I don't know what the "fresh start" stuff is, I'm blessed with perfect tap water that I never add anything to other than dichlor.

Please note the final part of what I said about N2:

"and the chemical change to the contents of the cartridge means it no longer has the capacity to treat "new" water."

What I meant by that was that N2 can't ionize a large volume of "new" water coming into the tub. It can still do fine for the volume already in the tub because it was already treated and you really can't beat it for tubs with low-volume use that don't go through water.  I used the "Northman" method for a number of years (N2, ozonator, small amount of dichlor after each use, shock each week) and it worked GREAT when I didn't have parties every weekend.

I'd keep N2 the way you have it, you can also consider buying N2 on e-bay cheaper. Here's a good link for a water maintenance page written by Doc that might help too.

Good Luck!

Drewski

8)
It's a HOT tub... anything else is just a POOL!

rick_in_cleveland

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2006, 11:38:16 am »
If you do a partial water chage or completely change your water you need to use a new N@ cartridge.  I emailed them a few years ago and this was their reponse

"You will need to replace the Nature 2 whenever the water is drained and refilled.  This is because you loose a good percentage of the silver ions when you drain the spa, and their is not enough in a depleted cartridge to bring it back up to the proper level.  So you will need to change the Nature 2 cartridge."

Hope this helps

anne

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2006, 12:16:17 pm »
Drewski and Rick-
Ok, that makes sense. As I dont have kids splashing around, and went the whole last month not having to add any water, so I'll stick with N2 and see if i notice a difference.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2006, 12:16:17 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42