What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Who should be responsible for this one?  (Read 4540 times)

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
Who should be responsible for this one?
« on: April 20, 2006, 09:30:17 am »
We have friends that are (were) very seriously interested in a hot tub.  They vacationed last week at a place that they have returned to for many years and one of the draws was the fantastic hot tub. I just knew they would come home ready to buy. I saw them at a baseball game last night and asked how they enjoyed vacation...one of the kids ended up with a very bad hot tub rash. He even missed school because the rash was so bad. The mother has tried to contact the rental office because she feels that they should have been responsible to assure the tub was "healthy" for her family. They are not returning her calls. I am wondering since this is not a huge public facility, but instead a private rental house, who should be responsible? The average renter wouldn't know about proper sanitization of the tub and they wouldn't know to expect someone to check that... it put a real damper on their vacation.
Support your dealer so they can support you!

Hot Tub Forum

Who should be responsible for this one?
« on: April 20, 2006, 09:30:17 am »

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
Re: Who should be responsible for this one?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2006, 09:37:55 am »
Rental agency.
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2006, 09:39:23 am »
Who ever the check was written out to took responsibility.

I doubt that anyone will get "Satisfaction" by reporting this, but to let the owners and rental company know this occured, hopefully they will do something to correct it so future guests can avoid this.   (Assumeign the rash was caused by improper water maitainece),

« Last Edit: April 20, 2006, 09:47:30 am by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

Zep

• Cal Spas SQ92 Dallas-Texas
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2006, 09:51:32 am »
Gosh hate to hear that about this kid.

But this is probably one of the reasons most rental properties don't have tubs and probably a reason even less will have them in the future.

This resort we vacation at in Colorado had horses and a trampoline.
Last summer I noticed they were both gone.

When I asked the owner he said they had become "headaches of litigation" and it just wasn't worth it to offer them anymore. So many people had enjoyed them over the years.

Personally I would be leery of rental property tubs.

Heck I dont even sit in hotel bathtubs.

What is your friend seeking?

An apology? Free Rent? Money? Medical Bills Paid?

Hope everything turns out ok.

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2006, 10:02:54 am »
Zep, I think she just wants someone to answer her and to assure them that the tub issue has been addressed so that no one else has a vacation ruined because of a problem with the tub. They are very nice people and are not sue happy nuts who expect anything but a phone call answered.

I told them this doesn't have to happen and when you have your own tub, it usually doesn't. I'm with you though, I don't want to go in any other tub (an I really don't want anyone but family in mine)...

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2006, 10:05:12 am »
I would say the rental agency is responsible since they're the ones who maintain the property. Ultimately though it's the owner's problem. I wonder if there was a clause in the agreement that would make the renter soley responsible for everything.

When things go bad, owners need to know about it. Unfortunately, most people who rent a vacation house don't know who the owner(s) are. If the rental was paid by CC, maybe have your friends stop payment.

Snyper

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2006, 11:42:36 am »
I own two rental properties with hot tubs so I speak from experience. I've had 2 occasions where this issue has arose.

Things like this have no definate answer. In my case, the kids, sadly, had a reaction to the chemicals used to maintain the hot tub, not poor water.

In the rental agreement, I have a clause that states kids under the age of 10 are not allowed in the hot tub, and all persons who enter, do so at their own risk. I also list the chemicals that are used and how often they are added.

Please remember, it may not be poor water management that causes hot tub rash. I've read where people get it from just untreated hot water, such as a whirlpool dip at a rehabilation clinic.

Lastly, parents must take responisbility for their kids. Kids and hot tubs usually don't mix.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2006, 11:45:17 am by Snyper »

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2006, 12:00:32 pm »
Snyper, I was hoping you would reply. When I say kids, I guess I should clarify, they are teenagers, not little kids. (and actually both bigger than me)I think you are very wise with your rental information. I think this happened toward the end of the vacation and I guess they had used the tub on so many previous vacations to the same place, so they were really surprised when he developed the rash. I know you and I have discussed how to keep our tubs clear and I said I shock more frequently based on use. I think it would be difficult to determine how often renters would use a tub and therefore more difficult to prevent the rash. These kids could have spent hours in the tub, who knows?
My friend just wants to be sure they are aware of the problem and they correct if before the next people jump in! I thought it was a little odd that the other family members didn't get it though???

Snyper

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2006, 12:26:54 pm »
Boni,

Just remember, certain people react to different enviroments.

It has happen to my wife and I. She broke out and I didn't. Found out her tolerance to bromine is lower than mine.

For the reasons mentioned in this thread, there isn't a chance in hell that I would get in a public hot tub.

FYI - The tubs at my rental property are changed before a new customer arrives.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2006, 12:28:07 pm by Snyper »

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2006, 01:59:34 pm »
Only one kid was affected? Nobody else?  
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2006, 03:18:27 pm »
I don't know all the details but one son must have had a bad rash since he missed school. Like I said maybe he stayed in a real long time. The parents and another son were fine.  Maybe, like Snyper said, he was more sensitive. It is very encouraging to know you are that concerned about your renters, Snyper.

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
  • 30 Year HotSpring Spa Dealer
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2006, 03:36:50 pm »
Blame it on these guys.  They're the ones responsible.

Terminator
« Last Edit: April 20, 2006, 03:46:03 pm by East_TX_Spa »
Just layin' low and chucklin' in my stomach wif' da fidgets...

shabba34

« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2006, 03:38:56 pm »
Blame it on these guys.  They're the ones responsible.

Terminator
Term,
Roger and Guy aren't gonna be happy with you passing their picture around on the internet. ;D

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2006, 03:41:06 pm »
But they said it was a Hot Springs tub, oh did I forget to say that? Isn't HS the only one with the little tinkle water feature?

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
  • 30 Year HotSpring Spa Dealer
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2006, 03:44:02 pm »
Term,
Roger and Guy aren't gonna be happy with you passing their picture around on the internet. ;D

Haaaaahaaaahaaaa!!!!! ;D ;D ;D
Just layin' low and chucklin' in my stomach wif' da fidgets...

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2006, 03:44:02 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42