What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: White flakes  (Read 6948 times)

BearBath

• Ya snooze Ya Lose
White flakes
« on: April 30, 2006, 05:15:06 pm »
Hi All,
I have been happily reading about other's problems and solutions and was feeling a bit smug that I was "going to school" on everybody else. I have not no major problems since my HS Grandee was delivered Thanksgiving this last year. (Except the stupid SpAudio!)

However, today I went to do the Renew weekly shock and found some white flakes floating on the surface of the filter area. I shocked anyway. I went back about an hour later to close up the cover and there was more flakes. I removed one of the filters and alot of flakes came spilling out of the filter. I shut the whole thing down, took out all the filters and now have them soaking in the filter clean solution. Anybody seen this before? It is like my HS developed a case of Dandruff! Am I just seeing undissolved Renew? Seems like it just dissolved before.
Cheers,
Bearbath

Hot Tub Forum

White flakes
« on: April 30, 2006, 05:15:06 pm »

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
Re: White flakes
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2006, 05:20:33 pm »
I would bet you have water mold.

The way to get rid of it is to shock with Chlorine. Run the level up to around 10 ppm, and keep it there for a day or two. This will require adding more dichlor every four or five hours.

Pull the filters out and rinse them, put them back in. Repeat this until they no longer give off water mold as you rinse them. This could be a week.

Use a hose to siphon out any of the flakes that you see in the bottom of the filter area when you are rinsing off the filters. Very important.

Also net or siphon out any flakes you spot floating around in the tub.
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2006, 05:32:24 pm »
I agree with Chas.  Following is Watkins Spa cleansing process, I believe adapted from the NSPI procedure:

Chemical Cleansing Procedure (CCP)
WATKINS MANUFACTURING CORP.
For HotSprings, Tiger River, Hot Spot, Caldera & Solana Portable Spas

Filter Cleaning & Chemical Cleansing Set-up

1.      Cartridge Filters: Remove the filter cartridge(s) and either clean or replace.   To clean cartridge(s), first use a filter cleaner as per label directions.  After rinsing the filter cartridge(s), completely submerge the cartridge(s) in a 1/10 dilution of sodium hypochlorite (liquid bleach) and water for two hours.  Inspect and clean the filter housing. Install filter cartridge(s) after spa decontamination is complete.

WARNING: Contains sodium hydrochlorite.  Causes substantial, but temporary eye injury.  Harmful if swallowed.  May irritate skin.  Do not get in eyes or on clothing.  For prolonged use, wear gloves.

Note: For spas treated with polyhexamethylene Biguanide (Biguanide, PHMB, i.e. BaquaSpaTM), sanitizer, drain and refill the spa prior to adding any chlorine.

2.      Raise the water level in the spa to 1/2 inch above the high water mark, and remove pillows if possible.

3.      Push in the JET button (JET 1 button, also the JET 2 button for the Grandee, Landmark , Paradise and Utopia series spas).  The JET pump(s) will be activated for approximately one hour.

Operational Note: For the Hot Spot and most Highland series spas, pushing the JET button twice will activate the high-speed mode of the jet pump.

Super Chlorination and Neutralization

4.      Add at least 100 ppm chlorine to the spa into the filter compartment while the jet(s) are operating.                              
                                   Ounces per      Ounces per      Ounces per
                       250 gallons      350 gallons      500 gallons
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sodium Dichloroisocyanurate (56%)            6.25            8.75            12.50
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

5.      During the super-chlorination period, rotate the SmartJet® lever(s) through each of the operating position for HotSprings and Tiger River spas, or place the Power Diverter(s) in the center (90o) or Combo position for Caldera spas.  Letting the spa water circulate (with jets on) for equal periods of time.  For example, if your spa has 4 operating positions, leave the lever on each position for approximately five to ten minutes.

Operational Note: The Grandee®, Landmark®, and Jetsetter® SmartJet® levers are designed to operate in the 3 o’clock and 9 o’clock positions. The Vanguard®, Sovereign®, and Prodigy® SmartJet® levers are designed to operate in the 3 o’clock, 6 o’clock, 9 o’clock and 12 o’clock positions.

6.      For the first 60 minutes, do not cover spa with the spa cover.

7.      Neutralize the chlorine in the spa water with a 16-oz. bottle of Hydrogen Peroxide (3%). Additional Hydrogen Peroxide may be necessary.

WARNING:  Hydrogen Peroxide, 3% U.S.P., For External Use, Topically to the skin and mucous membranes.  Keep Out of Eyes.

8.      Circulate the spa water for 10 minutes, during the chlorine neutralization process.

9.      Stop the circulation by turning the jet(s) off.

10.      Drain the spa water to remove any excess water and cleaner.

11.      Clean the spa shell with an approved surface cleaner (i.e. SoftScrubTM), and rinse off surfaces to remove cleaner.  Remember to remove any approved cleaner off the surface of the Redwood, Everwood, or Sherwood spa skirt immediately with water.

Water Replacement and Treatment

12.      Refill the spa with water; replace the filter, which has been chemically                         sanitized or use new filter cartridge(s).

13.      Follow the Start-up and Refill procedure according to the Water Quality and Maintenance Section in your Hot Springs/Tiger River/Hot Spot/Caldera/or Solana Owner’s Manual.

It's old so some of the models are older and new ones are not addressed.  If this hard to read, IM me with your e-mail and I can send you an attachment that is easier to read.
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

BearBath

• Ya snooze Ya Lose
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2006, 05:34:08 pm »
Wow! Fast reply, Chas! Thanks!
I was just searching back in the history. I always forget to change the number of days to look back and found that there was a prior "White flakes post". I have a backup set of filters and I think I will use them, since my original set is now soaking in filter clean solution.
Any idea what might have caused this to happen? I've been pretty diligent about everything but doing a chemical clean of the filters. I just rinse them out every month or so.
I don't think I have anything to skim the water with, so I'm stuck with using the filters. Will that work?
Thanks again for the help!
bearBath

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2006, 05:41:30 pm »
Tell us about your maintainence program.  Do you use any chlorine or are you attempting to go chlorine free?

BearBath

• Ya snooze Ya Lose
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2006, 05:43:10 pm »
Yikes! Do I really have to go through that whole decomtamination process? Seems pretty extreme, but I will do it if I have to!
How about if I super shock (10 oz of Spa 56) and let the system run for 1 hour rotating the diverter valves and without the filters? (Since I just put them in the chemical cleaner)
The whole Hydrogen Peroxide and drain is more than I have time to do today. Will the super chlorinate hold it until the filters soak overnight? Or should I risk contaminating my new backup set of filters?
Worried,
BearBath

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2006, 05:45:56 pm »
Yikes! Do I really have to go through that whole decomtamination process? Seems pretty extreme, but I will do it if I have to!
How about if I super shock (10 oz of Spa 56) and let the system run for 1 hour rotating the diverter valves and without the filters? (Since I just put them in the chemical cleaner)
The whole Hydrogen Peroxide and drain is more than I have time to do today. Will the super chlorinate hold it until the filters soak overnight? Or should I risk contaminating my new backup set of filters?
Worried,
BearBath

My best guess is super shocking and running the pumps and moving the diverters should do the trick.  It couldn't hurt to try.

Where do you live, BearBath?  Who is your dealer?

BearBath

• Ya snooze Ya Lose
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2006, 05:47:15 pm »
I use the ozonator and the silver ion filter gizmo. I add 1-2 oz Spa56 after each use or a couple of times a week if nobody is using it. I shock with 4-5 oz of Renew once a week on the weekend or if I have been away and let the spa run for an hour. I check the pH and Cl levels with a paper strip and adjust every couple of weeks.
I rinse the filters about once every 6 weeks or if they start looking clogged with pine needles. (A huge pine tree is over the spa)
How did I do?
BearBath

BearBath

• Ya snooze Ya Lose
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2006, 05:49:01 pm »
I live in upstate NY(Rochester) and my dealer is Clover Pools and Spas. I have not used them much since they have been only somewhat useful on water chemistry issues.
BearBath

hottub.pool_boy

• New England's oldest HotSpring Dealer- 1983
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2006, 06:09:56 pm »
my best description of white water mold: looks like pieces of wet tissue paper in the water. If that's the case, you'll have to BLAST IT!
OEM HotSpring Stuff & SpaGuard Chemicals Online

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2006, 06:12:24 pm »
The cleansing proceedure is for Hot Tub Rash or folliculitus.

You don't need to do all of that for water mold.

Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

BearBath

• Ya snooze Ya Lose
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2006, 06:15:39 pm »
These flakes are too small to be like tissue paper, but they are very soft and just smear if I rub them between my thumb and first finger. I took the pillows out and put in 10 Oz of Spa56. I have Jet 1 and Jet 2 on now and will let them go for an hour. Am I doing any damage by not having filters in place?
Sigh,
BearBath

hottub.pool_boy

• New England's oldest HotSpring Dealer- 1983
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2006, 06:18:46 pm »
nope.
OEM HotSpring Stuff & SpaGuard Chemicals Online

Gomboman

• My Pride and Joy
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2006, 06:30:46 pm »
Wow, 1-2 oz after each use. That seems like a lot of chlorine.

I use the ozonator and the silver ion filter gizmo. I add 1-2 oz Spa56 after each use or a couple of times a week if nobody is using it. I shock with 4-5 oz of Renew once a week on the weekend or if I have been away and let the spa run for an hour. I check the pH and Cl levels with a paper strip and adjust every couple of weeks.
I rinse the filters about once every 6 weeks or if they start looking clogged with pine needles. (A huge pine tree is over the spa)
How did I do?
BearBath

2005 Hot Spring Envoy still going strong. Million-Mile Club....

I want to get in the spa business so I can surf the internet and use Photoshop all day long.

BearBath

• Ya snooze Ya Lose
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2006, 06:44:41 pm »
It is usually one ounce if it was just me or just my spouse. If all three of us are in or the kids had friends in, or it has just been awhile, I put in 2 oz.
As I wrote that I realized that I mean one/two scoop. I have been assuming that is one/two ounces. Probably should check that?
BearBath

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2006, 06:44:41 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42