What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Enzyme & Defender Chemicals Needed?  (Read 6164 times)

spahopeful

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Enzyme & Defender Chemicals Needed?
« on: May 04, 2006, 02:25:37 am »
I'm using the Leisure Time dichlor approach after each soak and shocking with dichlor and sometimes with Renew.  Besides adjusting for PH, TA, & Calcium, is it necessary to continue to use the Enzyme and Defender that was supplied with my Leisure Time startup kit?  I'm also occasionaly using the Bright & Clear, which does seem to clear up dirty water.

Hot Tub Forum

Enzyme & Defender Chemicals Needed?
« on: May 04, 2006, 02:25:37 am »

HotTubMan

• My 2.1 cents, eh
Re: Enzyme & Defender Chemicals Needed?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2006, 08:00:00 am »
Enzyme are definitely not required. They definitely can help. They will break down oils and cosmetics that can clog filters and cause scum lines.

I believe defender is Leisure Times stain and scale control. If you are not on top of your water chemistry like you should be, this is required. If you live in a area where your source water has a high mineral content this is needed.
Homeworks Financing Representative

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2006, 09:59:01 am »
I use the LT spa 56 dichlor, and shock with Renew (MPS) I have ozone as well.   So far so good. I use Defender and some claifier.  (I am a firm beliver to keep chems to a minimum as long as you santizie correctly)

I have never been too clear on when to use an enzeme product? How do they differ from a clarifier?  When would be a case to use it?
07 Caldera Geneva

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2006, 10:08:49 am »

I have never been too clear on when to use an enzeme product? How do they differ from a clarifier? ÊWhen would be a case to use it?

Clarifiers pull small particles together and bring them into the filter.

Enzymes are hot-water formulated to break down organic contaminants commonly found in spas including, lotions, soaps, body oils and cosmetics.
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2006, 10:33:30 am »
Clarifiers pull small particles together and bring them into the filter.

Enzymes are hot-water formulated to break down organic contaminants commonly found in spas including, lotions, soaps, body oils and cosmetics.

So if I got the oil slick, better to hit with the enzmes rather than ol' blue (Clarifier?)
07 Caldera Geneva

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2006, 10:40:08 am »

So if I got the oil slick, better to hit with the enzmes rather than ol' blue (Clarifier?)

That's right.  Although the enzyme people want you to use it weekly.
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2006, 10:53:23 am »
That's right.  Although the enzyme people want you to use it weekly.

Thanks Dan. I've got a bottle of the stuff and haven't ever used it.  I'll keep it in mind if I ever get a mess that wont filter down in a day of so.

07 Caldera Geneva

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2006, 04:17:22 pm »

I've found that enzymes work best as a preventative measure while clarifiers fix a problem.  Enzymes will keep your filters cleaner, make your water smell better and help with soap and scum problems if added weekly.  Added after the fact, they don't work as well...they tend to be slow workers.  Clarifiers are only needed when your water is hazy and you just can't get it crystal clear.  Defender added weekly or biweekly is CHEAP INSURANCE.

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2006, 04:20:35 pm »

I've found that enzymes work best as a preventative measure while clarifiers fix a problem.  Enzymes will keep your filters cleaner, make your water smell better and help with soap and scum problems if added weekly.  Added after the fact, they don't work as well...they tend to be slow workers.  Clarifiers are only needed when your water is hazy and you just can't get it crystal clear.  Defender added weekly or biweekly is CHEAP INSURANCE.

Tony,

My water is pretty good and smells fresh as a morning rain

If I ever find I have that "not so fresh smell" I'll add the ezyimes.

Now, after a large group of folks are in my tub (with suits those Bast_ards!) I usually do a dose of Clairfier. (it foamls like all Hell) but does the trick (after I scoop out foam, and a touch of foam down from a spritzer)  Do you have a better way?
07 Caldera Geneva

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2006, 04:30:53 pm »

Tony,

My water is pretty good and smells fresh as a morning rain

If I ever find I have that "not so fresh smell" I'll add the ezyimes.

Now, after a large group of folks are in my tub (with suits those Bast_ards!) I usually do a dose of Clairfier. (it foamls like all Hell) but does the trick (after I scoop out foam, and a touch of foam down from a spritzer)  Do you have a better way?

IMO, enzymes are truely a luxury...not needed but doesn't hurt to use them.  I used them in the beginning, then stopped for a couple of years and now I'm back to using them (I use Leisure Time Enzyme).  It just seems to make the water fresher.

Too much clarifier can make the water foam, but after a large group in the tub, you probably want to help the filtering any way you can.  Seems like you have a system that works...why mess with it.  I just don't think you need to use a clarifier as a weekly maintenance product.  IMO, enzymes work better if you want to add something on a weekly basis.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2006, 04:30:53 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42