What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Bromine=bromine=bromine??  (Read 3885 times)

joshua45

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Bromine=bromine=bromine??
« on: May 03, 2006, 09:53:17 am »
Being new to chemistry for the spa, for now I just want to know 'the basics'...  

Question 1  is: "is Bromine...Bromine (Regardless of what brand, manufacture etc.  I know the answer is "yes".. but why the price differences (eg 1.5lb can range from $12.00-->$35.00 depending on 'brand name (eg) leisure time Vs. some generic).

Question 2: Shock:  Most of the shock products on the market are 'chlorine base' (at least that is what mine is)..  Is it true that one should not mix bromine and chlorine? ( I seem to 'get that impression from reading this board)..   and if so, do they make a shock that is bromine based?  

Question 3: I've noted on this board that 'Doc" has decent supplies that are reasonably priced... Which  "Doc' is that and what is his site?

SInce it would appear that either my dealer is going out of business or not very knowledgeable... I don't want to "USE" some other spa dealer since I didn't buy my tub from 'them'.

I'm sure Ill have many other questions, so please bear with me  (eg) Im starting to develope a rash  (on back & forearms)  that is more of a 'chemical reaction' then an 'infection' type rash...Is this from 'mixing' shock with bromine?   I will do some research and probably have more questions about that too..

Hot Tub Forum

Bromine=bromine=bromine??
« on: May 03, 2006, 09:53:17 am »

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
Re: Bromine=bromine=bromine??
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2006, 10:04:11 am »
Being new to chemistry for the spa, for now I just want to know 'the basics'... Ê

Question 1 Êis: "is Bromine...Bromine (Regardless of what brand, manufacture etc. ÊI know the answer is "yes".. but why the price differences (eg 1.5lb can range from $12.00-->$35.00 depending on 'brand name (eg) leisure time Vs. some generic).

Question 2: Shock: ÊMost of the shock products on the market are 'chlorine base' (at least that is what mine is).. ÊIs it true that one should not mix bromine and chlorine? ( I seem to 'get that impression from reading this board).. Ê and if so, do they make a shock that is bromine based? Ê

Question 3: I've noted on this board that 'Doc" has decent supplies that are reasonably priced... Which Ê"Doc' is that and what is his site?

SInce it would appear that either my dealer is going out of business or not very knowledgeable... I don't want to "USE" some other spa dealer since I didn't buy my tub from 'them'.

I'm sure Ill have many other questions, so please bear with me Ê(eg) Im starting to develope a rash Ê(on back & forearms) Êthat is more of a 'chemical reaction' then an 'infection' type rash...Is this from 'mixing' shock with bromine? Ê I will do some research and probably have more questions about that too..

There are at least 5 bromine based formulas for spas; pillows (Leisure Time), tablets (SpaGuard), nuggets (Brilliance), 2 part systems and concentrate.  Pillows are quick disolving.  Tablets are slow eroding.  

Bromine is not active by itself.  It needs either MPS or chlorine to activate it.  3 of the systems use chlorine to activate the bromine.  So, in a bromine system you can use chlorine, but in a chlorine system, you cannot use bromine.

Most shocks I am familiar with are non-chlorine.

I would find someone local you can trust to be your chemical guru.  A professional spa dealer should welcome your business even if you bought your spa from someone else.

Once you have a clear understanding what you are doing and if you don't feel you need a dealer to test for you, buying from Internet is a good alternative.

Hope this helps.
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2006, 10:10:47 am »
The Good doctor or "Doc" is known as Dr Spa. on this forum.

Since it's bad form to post your own business website,  let me tell you he's from Robert's hot tub:

http://www.rhtubs.com

He's one of the many pros on this board that keep us goofballs from blowing up our tubs and setting ourselves on fire.

« Last Edit: May 03, 2006, 10:11:39 am by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

hymbaw

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2006, 11:09:29 am »

Bromine is not active by itself.  It needs either MPS or chlorine to activate it.

Who in God's name told you this??
People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they're not on your road doesn't mean they've gotten lost.

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2006, 11:23:13 am »

Who in God's name told you this??

You believe differently?

http://www.rhtubs.com/BROMINE.htm
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2006, 11:33:03 am »
Bromine does, in fact need an oxidizer to work. That is why I have done my best to rid the world of Bromine tabs and Pillows: They actually contain the oxidizer right in the product. So: you buy 'bromine' but actually get 44%chlorine. And that chlorine does a number on headrests, covers, and so forth.

There are folk who sell pure bromine in powder/granular form, and Brilliance by Baqua is pure bromine which can be used in a floating feeder. With these products, you add the oxidizer by hand, usually once a week, but you can leave the spa lid open while mixing it with the jets - this makes a huge difference in the longevity of headreasts and covers. AND the Brilliance tends to have a very mild, even pleasant odor whereas the other Bromine tabs have a strong chemical stench. YMMV.

So - Bromine is NOT Bromine in some cases.
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

hymbaw

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2006, 11:48:44 am »
If we're talking about elemental bromine I agree. However, spa customers are not going to buying elemental bromine. The bromine available to them already includes the necessary oxidizers. A little deceptive to the Noobs to tell them they need to buy two products.
People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they're not on your road doesn't mean they've gotten lost.

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2006, 11:56:16 am »
The bromine available to them already includes the necessary oxidizers. A little deceptive to the Noobs to tell them they need to buy two products.
No, Brilliance does NOT. That's the whole point of the product: it is "Chlorine Free Bromine."

Yes, you do have to buy two products, but the control you have over the negative effects on the cover and headrests makes it a very good system. Besides, you should be at your spa often enough that adding the oxidizer doesn't require some special step or trip out to do. Just toss it in after use, or once a week, or whatever.

The typical tabs which contain the oxidizer will break down the vapor barrier inside your spa cover. You don't see anything happening, you just slowly notice the cover getter heavier and heavier until you have to replace it.

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2006, 12:32:53 pm »
More info:

A quote from the website: "There's nothing like finding the time to relax in your spa and get away from the rest of the world.  And now you can use that renewed energy to take on the world instead of your spa.

Introducing Brilliance, the bromine spa care system.  Unlike other bromine-based spa care systems it's completely chlorine-free, so there's less odor and less irritation to your eyes and skin.

Discover Brilliance today.  It's clearly the brighter solution."

I don't sell this stuff (on the 'Net) and I don't even sell much of it out of our store. But I like it, and I use it at home. http://www.archchemicals.com/Fed/BRL/default.htm

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2006, 12:59:03 pm »
If we're talking about elemental bromine I agree. However, spa customers are not going to buying elemental bromine. The bromine available to them already includes the necessary oxidizers. A little deceptive to the Noobs to tell them they need to buy two products.

The tabs and pillows contain chlorine to activate the bromine.  BUT you still need to shock weekly with chlorine or MPS.  You DO need two products whether you are a newbie or a veteran.  Who in god's name has told you otherwise?
>:(
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

hymbaw

« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2006, 01:23:07 pm »
You can use BROMINE CONCENTRATE to maintain a residual and to shock. No separate chlorine or MPS.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2006, 01:27:13 pm by hymbaw »

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2006, 01:23:35 pm »
The bromine available to them already includes the necessary oxidizers. A little deceptive to the Noobs to tell them they need to buy two products.

GLB's Enhance is also a 2 part bromine system. Enhance is liquid bromine salts that then require an oxidized to be added to activate the bromine.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

hymbaw

« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2006, 01:26:04 pm »
No, Brilliance does NOT. That's the whole point of the product: it is "Chlorine Free Bromine."

Chas,
I'm not aware of this product, my bad. It is pretty unique, and I'm going to look into it.

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2006, 01:32:03 pm »
You can use BROMINE CONCENTRATE to maintain a residual and to shock. No separate chlorine or MPS.

Spa Essentials bromine concentrate contains 82.5% sodium dichlor (chlorine) and only 14.7% sodium bromide..... how concentrated is that?

The chlorine is the oxidizer used to activate the bromine.

Leisure Time offers Sodium Bromide, 99%. It builds an immediate bromine reserve in the water, but still needs an oxidizer to activate it into the killing form of bromine.

Skellman

• There's more horses asses than there are horses!
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2006, 02:34:09 pm »
YIKES!!!!
Ya'll are scaring me with bromine this, dichlor that.
I'd resort to a simple soak in the tub in my bathroom instead of getting my hottub but, my daughter (age 13) has decided to use the bathroom where the wife's make-up is. Unfortunately, she hasn't learned the art of knocking before entering. :-[ :-[
Not to worry, when I do get (I hope) my tub, I know I'll be in good hands with you fine people.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2006, 02:34:09 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42