What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: High PH/Low Calcium  (Read 2007 times)

spahopeful

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
High PH/Low Calcium
« on: April 28, 2006, 01:23:43 pm »
After adding my dichlor each night I have been testing with the LT strips.  My dichlor and Alkalinity get to the right color on the strip, but my PH is always high and my calcium is always very low.  

How do you lower PH without lowering alkalinity?  

And, is it important to get my calcium up (my dealer has told me not to worry about calcium)?

Hot Tub Forum

High PH/Low Calcium
« on: April 28, 2006, 01:23:43 pm »

Vanguard

Re: High PH/Low Calcium
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2006, 07:02:08 pm »
You do need to worry about your calcium level.  If it is too low, you can damage some of the materials in your pump and heater, etc.  Usually, if it is too high, you can get scaling - especially with high TA and pH.

You can lower TA without lowering pH.  Read the directions on the bottle or from your local dealer.  You will notice lowering of pH initially, but with a high TA, the pH will come back.  Once you get the TA in line, the pH will stabilize and not "bounce."

The stars at night are big and bright, deep in the heart of Texas and my Vanguard!!!

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2006, 07:48:57 pm »
If the water in your tub is older than three months, just change it.
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

spahopeful

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2006, 11:00:34 pm »
My water is only about 3-4 weeks old, so it would seem I should be able to lower the PH and keep the alkalinity at the current level.  Is there a good standard approach to lowering the PH when the alkalinity is already OK?  Or, do I just not worry about the PH level and just worry about keeping te alkalinity at the right level?

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2006, 10:58:21 am »
Generally if you drop the TA the pH will also drop, but the pH should climb slowly. It may take a few days to do so.
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2006, 10:58:21 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42